Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Breaking VS Brakes  (Read 20303 times)
sleepyJ

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »

yesterday using the front AND rear brakes saved me from crashing into the back of granny who decided it was a good idea to pull out in front of me when I was ~20 feet away. I know the rear brakes helped because I started to fish tail (controllably) I too come from a dirt background

'00 m900i.e.
hbliam
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »

There is a rear brake?
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »

BUT unless you are at roadrace pace, the rear is a normal part or normal riding.

This is a slow day for me.  Nuff said?

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
sleepyJ

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »

its that funny little lever that looks like your gear shifter. it took me a few rides to realize it doesn't shift too well :p

'00 m900i.e.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=117.0

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

While I'm a big advocate of riding the pace, you have to be a little wary of it depending on our goals. It took a long time and was damn hard for me to let go of the pace habits I formed when I started riding at the track.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

While I'm a big advocate of riding the pace, you have to be a little wary of it depending on our goals. It took a long time and was damn hard for me to let go of the pace habits I formed when I started riding at the track.

Which might be why you're still with us. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

nickshelby500kr
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »

If you use your engine to brake, it will break.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

If you use your engine to brake, it will break.
If this were true, all my vehicles would be broken... even the one automatic.

nickshelby500kr
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »

Duc shifter forks are pretty bad about bending. Especially under track/ race situations.
IdZer0

BE

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »

I use engine braking all the time, also in the car, but I read an interesting remark some time ago.

After a while you start to rely on it and then imagine you hit a false neutral on track when you approach a corner at the end of a long straight.

I'm really trying not to do it anymore at the track.

2007 Monster 695, DP ECU, Low mount Alu Termignonis
replaced by 2011 848 EVO
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »

I am a noob to motorcycle riding
And he gets lots of posts telling him how to be faster and how not to break stuff at the track...

High performance (moto and cage) engines and transmissions break. Especially under track/ race situations.
Fixed it for ya!  waytogo 

In a track situation (or even a street situation), one should probably not rely on the engine to slow you down.  I've found that under hard braking for a turn, if I don't use any engine braking the bike won't shift down properly (same thing with multiple upshifts, like when you whale on it in first to the "speed limit" and then bang up two or three gears to cruise)... and I like to be in the right gear to exit right before tip in.  I know I'm in the right gear if I have used the engine during the slow-down process... although I've never been on a track on a moto.  I do not doubt that it changes the suspension dynamic.  It certainly does in a car... but what racecar driver disengages the clutch when braking for a turn?  For that matter, the reason the pro guys wiggle during decel is because of engine braking as they bang down through the gears.  They aren't only relying on engine braking, but they aren't not doing it either.

I'm even willing to bet that Cloner is doing it if you listen closely.  He's just not relying on it to slow him down and set cornering speed.

nickshelby500kr
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »

While I certainly agree the fastest way to slow is using engine braking in combination with braking. The pro racers generally don't care because they have unlimited support and it will get fixed when they bend a shifter fork/ drum burn through a clutch as well as the extra wear on tires from the ass end getting squirmy under engine/ trans braking.
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »

The rear brake accounts for 30% of your stopping power.  Although some find the rear brake is ultra sensitive, it all boils down to how well you know your bike.  I admit for a while i had a problem with my rear brake as well.  I found it to be extremely sensitive, and in a quick stop situation it locked up more often than not.  Now that the riding season is here go to a safe location and practice prior to hitting the busy roads!  Practice your quick stops, PROPER swerving skills, and stopping in a turn.  It will make your season much more pleasing. 

Now as for the engine braking, I'm not going to say if its bad for the bike or not as i have NEVER had any issues doing so.  AS A TIP, if you do prefer engine braking, lightly apply one of your brake levers to activate the rear light!  My bike engine brakes very well and i do so ALL the time.  But you can bet your ass i make sure that light comes on whilst doing so.  I find that on great riding roads, ie Johanneskreuz here for us DE riders, engine braking helps you judge the speed necessary for safe cornering.  If you come flying up to a corner that has potentially high traffic and possibly an unknown corner to you, what good does it do to go hard on the brakes last second?  Yes it might be faster, but is it exactly more safe?  I am by no means trying to tell you how to ride or what to do, simply giving you something to think about!  waytogo

"Life's tough.  Its even tougher if your stupid!"

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-2009 Ducati Monster 696 Custom Mirrors, Renthal Bars, 6100 Miles
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »

I'm even willing to bet that Cloner is doing it if you listen closely.  He's just not relying on it to slow him down and set cornering speed.

What he said.  The video was shot from a Panigale with EBC is turned up to maximum to make it as much like a two-stroke (little or no engine braking on a two-stroke!) as possible.  That said, it still engine brakes, and there's nothing you can do about it unless you want to pull the clutch in....and you don't want to pull the clutch in.

The rear brake accounts for 30% of your stopping power.

I challenge you to get more than 0% of your stopping power from the rear brake with the rear wheel off or nearly off the ground.  You've never seen an MSF coach as wide-eyed as the one to whom I proved this after he told me I had to use the rear brake in stopping drills.....as I nearly hit him in the face with the rear wheel....kinda like my avatar, only a bit higher and twisted to the right a bit.   Shocked

If you're riding a bike that doesn't have enough brakes to lift the rear then you might be right about that 30%.

It's easy to tell which type of bike you're riding.  Run up your speed a bit and pull the front brake as hard as you're willing.  If the front slides you can benefit from using the rear brake.  If the rear lifts concentrate on learning how to properly modulate the front brake without the rear.  If the front doesn't slide AND the rear doesn't lift, pull harder on the lever until one of 'em happens.  On ANY modern sport bike you CAN lift the rear and you're better off concentrating on proper modulation of the front during emergency stopping.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: