Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeway Riding: Windshield?!  (Read 17014 times)
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »

i like the bugs on my jacket. tends to keep people away
Funny story... a while ago I was teaching new soldiers (18-ish)... I went for a lunch ride and was talking to them in the classroom.  Young private is staring at me, "you have a bug in your beard!"  laughingdp

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »

d4nko -

I had the same reaction first (ever) time I was on a highway on a bike, which was just last year.  I was getting blown all over the place, and when I turned my head to look over my shoulder and the profile of my helmet caught the wind----oh boy, I was almost blown over.  I felt unsafe and thought I must be doing something wrong.  I wasn't.  Thems is just bikes.  So I got used to it.  Now I don't notice it at all and can control my body much better.

I suggest you just don't go too fast until you're comfortable with the wind---I think I remember the wind jerk got bad for me (I'm 6'1") at like 65+mph---then slowly build up comfort and control.  After 4-5 highway trips you'll be fine.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ccm900

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »

Alright I'll throw my .02 in. I have a 96 m900. I took off my fairing the first week I got my bike. Never really cared much or noticed much when on the freeway. Yeah you get used to it. I will say though, if you commute a lot on the freeway or for longer trips, I would get one. If I'm going to be on the freeway longer then an hour I would like some of that wind protection to help with the fatigue. I've gone on 2 rides where it was 100% freeway for about 3hrs and I remember both times saying I was going to buy a windshield before the next trip. I've looked at the puigs, and will probably get one. When I'm at home though riding my favorite roads I really don't need it.
duc996

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 02:25:26 AM »

Took mine off long time ago,doesn't really bother me,i duck down and have just the visor showing on high speed

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
bdub

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

Put mine back on. Just a change thing.
I don't notice much difference either way.
I'm  6' 1. When my tank bag is on, for
some reason the wind seems to be directed
around me.

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
Raux
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »

This is my first naked bike as well (used to be a sportbike rider) so the wind was certainly a change.  I have found, however, that if you're wearing leather, it helps A TON.  If I wear my mesh, I'm being moved around all over the place.  Leather keeps me much more situated.  Then again, it still is a big change from a bike w/windscreen.

+1

here is your key - your gear matters on a naked bike.

a aero helmet, not loose clothing,

basically think of your gear as the bodywork of the bike. How well does it work if  you have sheets to the side of your bike Huh?
DownwtheQuickness

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »

I learned my lesson about this about a week ago. 6'1", no windscreen, cheap (free second-hand) gear, and 7 hours of 75mph riding in one day from Del Rio to Wichita Falls TX on 277.

That was one hell of a test of endurance and boredom since there was very little to do except see how long you could go in one position before something went numb. I have a cool DP carbon windscreen, but the gauges the PO put on make it stick up at a goofy angle, so I took it off pending gauge adjustment. I have two months to figure out how to mitigate the wind fatigue before I get to do that ride again...  Roll Eyes

2000 Monster 750
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »

While cruising, just put your left forearm across the gas tank and lean forward, using your left arm as a brace.  That, plus the wind blast, will help hold you up and makes long rides less of a chore.

Oh, and lots of core-strengthening exercises.... Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:48:58 AM by OT » Logged
Ill_Monstruo

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »

I usually lean forward and tuck down a little on the freeway if the wind is beating me up too bad. I am not  a fan of windshields so i would just deal with it over getting one. That's my opinion though.
pesto

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »

FWIW, If I'm in a full helmet and leather jacket I'm good. Otherwise it's just not really fun.

2013 White M696
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: