Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:29:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeway Riding: Windshield?!  (Read 17153 times)
d4nk0

« on: March 30, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »

DMF, I need your wisdom!

I am riding a 2000 Ducati Monster 750 that doesn't have a windshield installed.
Today, I went on the freeway for the first time and it felt so difficult. When I sat up straight, I felt like I was either going to fly off the bike, or I was going to pop a wheelie and slam my head into the asphalt. I'm 6'2, so I imagine i create quite a sail effect when I don't lean forward.

I read somewhere that if you don't have a windshield, you have to slouch to redirect the wind resistance away from your torso.

Do you guys think installing a windshield will make it much easier for me to ride on the freeway?
Or do you guys think that riding without a windshield and enduring the resistance is something that every rider should learn?

2000 Ducati Monster 750 Dark
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »

It makes a huge difference and even the smaller ones work well.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Blackout

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »

Man, I don't know. I've always ridden naked bikes, an unfaired Monster and a Speed Triple. I have never had any problem with wind blowing me around unless I am at well over 100 mph.
One thing I do is to sort of angle my head down so that I am mostly looking out of the top of my visor.
You've got about four inches height on me though.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »

Windshields are for pussies.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »

Windshields are for pussies.

laughingdp Go on say it to the big guy's face laughingdp.
If you are tall, then probably a good idea. You probably have the aerodynamics of a fridge. Grin
There are a range of genuine and aftermarket screens/bikini fairings that fit or can be made to fit. They do work well. Check out the sponsors sites. Some are in carbon.

2015 Scrambler 800
bob795

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »

Never need a windshield... cause, fortunately, motorcycles are not allowed to enter toll way here Grin

The only time I had a windshield was on a BMW R1150RT that I rode for two weeks. I wanted to buy a BMW back then, and did a long test ride it. To me it was really horrible, cause it blocked any kind of wind from reaching and cooling my body, but didn't prevent the engine heat from below to go up. In a tropical climate like here, and in slow moving traffic, it's really horrible. After that, it's only naked bike for me. And fortunately I never ride in a highway so I never need a windshield Grin

Just a different perspective.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
malamikigo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »

"i went on the freeway for the first time"

For the first time EVER on a bike?  Or for the first time on a monster. 

If it's the first time ever on the freeway on a bike, well then....get used to it.  Bikes are windier than a cozy car.

If it's the first time ever on the freeway on a monster specifically, well then.....also get used to it.  It's a naked bike, it will be windier.

For the record, I'm also 6'2 and ride a 696 without even the little windscreen above the headlight, and I manage just fine.  Suck it up! 
aj7840

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »

"If it's the first time ever on the freeway on a bike, well then....get used to it.  Bikes are windier than a cozy car.

If it's the first time ever on the freeway on a monster specifically, well then.....also get used to it.  It's a naked bike, it will be windier." unquote

That's what it is, leaning forward, helps a lot, upper arms parallel to the body.
 The little fairings/ fly screens help a lot if you have to do freeway time.

try a cruiser without a windscreen, you will be amazed how much more comfortable the monster is

00 M900IE - the fun bike  (Ducati #4)
18 Triumph Bonneville T120 for two up ridding
Snake

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

While I do agree that the small windscreens make a difference, I don't think one is neccessary.  I am also fairly lanky at 6'5".  I find that if I lean forward just enough, the wind holds my torso up....taking the stress off of my arms for longer highway rides.  I know.... if I was gripping the tank tight enough with my legs there wouldn't be any stress on my arms.  Also, I agree with the comment about looking through the top of your visor.  Seems to help also!

2008 S2R 1000 - 2010 M1100 - 2011 Subaru WRX
shamoo

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »

This is my first naked bike as well (used to be a sportbike rider) so the wind was certainly a change.  I have found, however, that if you're wearing leather, it helps A TON.  If I wear my mesh, I'm being moved around all over the place.  Leather keeps me much more situated.  Then again, it still is a big change from a bike w/windscreen.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »

I'm also 6 2 and ride windshieldless monster. I remember my first time on the freeway was kind of brutal just cruising around 75 (LA to SD, about 1.5 hours). I was sitting straight up and was getting knocked around.

Just lean forward a bit. I also usually ride on the freeway with my right hand on the throttle and my left hand off the grip and rested against my hip. It's more comfortable and also gives the wind somewhere to go instead of being trapped right in the chest.

I wouldn't imagine one of those tiny windshields would do much of anything.

2011 m696
El-Twin

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

That tiny fly screen on the newer Monsters directs the wind flow to the bottom of the rib cage, on up, so there is some value there. At freeway speeds, the semi-aggressive riding posture, combined with the wind blast, harmonizes into a nice neutral balance for an average sized rider.

For me, I would prefer a larger screen just for bugs, not for wind blast. Whenever I get home I look like I've been through a Bug War, or maybe a paint-ball fight. It adds character, maybe, but takes a good half hour to put right again.

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »

^^^^ Agreed!  My small screen directs the bugs directly onto my torso and face shield.  I have never been hit in the face with so many bugs as I have on my 2013 Evo.  Two of my previous naked bikes were nowhere near as bad.  I can't go anywhere without shield cleaner.  It is so bad I thought about the zero gravity screen with a three inch extension.  Just cant seem to get past the ugliness of it...... Undecided

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »

No windshield is better for the bugs... then they all hit your chest.

The only time I like a windscreen is when it is cold out.  The big ones catch crosswinds like a sail and make long straights an adventure in an of themselves.

Raux
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »

i like the bugs on my jacket. tends to keep people away
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: