Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 04:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Have You Been Riding? Keep the posts coming!  (Read 26716 times)
Saltwater*Cowgirl

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

Hi all - I'm new!   Smiley

Love the thread - it's neat to hear about everyone's background and is a good reminder of how green I truly am!  Haha.

I started riding 2 up as a kid behind my dad & had 4 wheelers in my late teens/early twenties.  Always wanted to try a bike...

I met my husband (a devote sport bike enthusiast) 7 years ago and then really got the itch to learn to ride.   After years of toting me around pillion, he bought me an '05 50cc Honda Jazz scooter.  I rode the pants off that thing for 3 months and wanted a 'big girl bike'.   Cool

I moved on to a '05 Kawi ZZR 250 and rode it up until Tuesday when I traded in for my pearl white 696.  It is beautiful, awesome and I love it.  I know I'll learn a ton from this bike and am excited about my first Duc!

'I am always doing that which I cannot, in order that I may learn how to do it.'
mcgalinmd

Where's that Ketchup? Tailight is waiting!

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

welcome!  [moto]

Can you imagine a world without a Ducati???  I think it's called Hell. Smiley
tfmktm

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 11:35:32 AM »

I see a lot of gals on here and was wondering how long you've been riding motorcycles??  I've got 18 years of experience - 10 on dirt, 8 on the street.  How about you!  [moto]

14 years, 18 different bikes up to 6 at one time.
rode with my brothers on their enduros as a kid. My first date with my husband was a ride on the back of his FJ. Two weeks later he gave me a '78 GS550 to rebuild and learn to ride on. I've been addicted to bikes ever since!

tfmk(tm)
'04 D6
'03 DRZ
'02 S4
'85 VF1KR
'66 Diana M3
ScorchedCarbon

696!

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »

Over 20 years  waytogo

"The only thing wrong with instant gratification is that it's not quick enough"
Hooligal

Dolci

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

I've been riding for about 5 years.

I got into motorcycles when I met my ex-husband over 10 years ago. I loved being a passenger but soon got the bug to drive on my own.  I took the MSF class and was on my way  applause

It took me a while to get the monster though.  I had just gone from the 250 to the 500 and I had the opportunity to test drive a 620 -- one of the most terrifying and fantastic experiences of my life. I put the order in for the 695 that day  Evil

'07 Monster 695 (black & red) w/ Termi pipes
'06 Ninja 500 (red) -sold
'03 Ninja 250 (green) -sold
Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »

I have been riding for about 4-5 years, which doesnt seem like a lot to me.
I feel confident, but I still need to work on my slow speed movements...
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:52 PM »

I have been riding for about 4-5 years, which doesnt seem like a lot to me.
I feel confident, but I still need to work on my slow speed movements...

hi sparky, welcome to the dmf Smiley
slow speed maneuvers are my weakest skill too.
being a shrimp isn't easy...
jdubbs32584
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

Hey sparky!

Yeah, slow speed movements suck for me too. Like TiNi, I'm a shrimp and have to get off my bike if I wanna back it up anywhere.
Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

My first bike had me on tippy toes whenever I stopped...
When I rode my fiance's bike (a 748) for the first time it was like a revelation.
I can get my feet down!
I traded in my first bike for the 998 shortly there-after.

I feel for those that are on tippy toes no matter what bike they ride.  I have a friend like that, and its painful to watch.  But all the more amazing for her dedication!  She will probably end up a better rider than I am because it takes her more to do things I take for granted and she is always practicing.
 Smiley
CannedIce

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »

Hey all! I have been riding for about 2 years and the love for motorcycles began on the back of my bfs 750SS...oOoO what a hot bike! Then I took the MSF course and got a 97' GS 500 from my bf to start with. Now I have a 03' M620 Smiley and am completely enamored with it.

I am so glad to see so many other lady riders on here because around San Diego I don't see many. I get a lot of "oh that is so cool" or "I wish I could do that" from other women when I am out and about, but they all say they same thing...they are scared Sad I try to encourage them that they can do it...I hope I get to some of them Wink

*cheers*

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
wmacinty

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

I started riding last summer at the ripe old age of 45.  My husband had taken it up again the summer prior and after riding on the back of his for a season we both decided it was time for me to get one of my own.  I bought a brand new 2007 Honda CBR125R and took the course.....passed with flying colours   applause.  The Honda was great to learn on but I realized pretty quickly that I wanted more power.  Like alot of you ladies out there I am only 5'4" and really felt like I needed something that allowed me to get my feet on the ground. Tried a Honda Hornet 599 just like my hubby's but it was still a little too high and too heavy for me, so we did some research and lo and behold the Monster popped up as a good candidate.  One month ago I got my baby and I haven't looked back..

The Truth is out There....
whidbeymonster

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »

awesome, welcome! me and my hubby ride together too. if 45 is "ripe old" than girl we are all ready to fall off the tree! ha ha. welcome!
tara
No_Normale

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

Perhaps I am the greenest of the green! I fall into the 0-6 month category because I am waiting to take the MSF course in October and have only ridden in the dirt prior to this. The neighbor kid when I was growing up had a dirt bike and he would let me ride from time to time- it was great fun until I rode the bike into a stone retaining wall!  bang head I jumped ship but the bike was toast....

Fast forward almost 20 years and this spring a good friend was turned onto Ducati by my DH who also has always loved them but never had an "excuse" to ride them. The good friend found an awesome deal on a Monster and bought it! Then my DH couldn't stand it anymore and got himself a 1999 Yellow 749. The two of them started riding and left me, our 22 month old daughter, and good friends wife in the car to meet up with them from time to time. It was fun BUT then I went to Italy to teach for two weeks near the Alps and I fell in love!

EVERYONE rides there and despite the fact that they don't dress for riding, the roads and the riders make it look like an incredible rush and a great amount of fun. All of a sudden it was sexy to ride! The culture of biking there is ANYTHING but Hells Angels. I am not saying that was my image of riding but I live on the west coast, what can I say?

Admitted my new passion to the good friend owning the Monster (for the life of me I can't remember his specs...) and he directed me to this forum where the deal was sealed, I was going to learn to ride so I didn't have to ride cupcake. Not that I wanted too just that I was scared of dumping a bike into another wall and unsure of what we would do with the kiddo if we all decided to go...

While looking for a unique Ducati like birthday gift for the friend I fell even further, I found the bike that I was waiting for and now it is in the garage waiting for me thanks to my DH.  Kiss Blue 2004 S4R with less than 500 miles on it! Like I said it is waiting because both DH and friend are smart and want to build me too that bike slowly and safely... of the three of us, I think I have gotten the best deal thus far! Still waiting for good friends wife (also a good friend) to feel comfortable enough to ride- We are taking the MSF course together and we will see where it goes from there....
La Duca

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and thought this topic would be a good place to start - even though the last post was September - hopefully there's still some interest!

I've been riding for 28 years. Its still as big a thrill as it was when I started. Its awesome to see so many new female riders - on Ducati's no less! I've just bought my first Ducati, after years of lusting after them whilst riding japanese sport bikes. "Cookie" is a black '06 S2R1000.
I went on the back of a boyfriend's bike once, in '81,  and knew it was for me. I didn't even have a car license until 8 years later, when I was 7 months pregnant!

I've been a safety instructor for 18 years now and the best advice I can give you guys who are worried about slow speed skills is just keep on practicing. I practice slow riding every chance I get - its amazing how confidence in your slow speed skills translates into increased confidence and ability at higher speeds. Go to an empty parking lot and try making circles inside of two parking spaces - make sure to keep your knees in tight to the tank, look exactly where you want to go - turn your head to look inside of your circle - don't just look straight ahead, and keep your eyes moving as your bike is moving - ride a bit of rear brake, slip the clutch, and press more weight onto the cheek of your butt that is opposite to the direction you are turning. - lots to remember all at once, but if you keep practicing, it will come! Have fun!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »

^^ Welcome and congrats on your first Duc! waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: