Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 10:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken wires /fuel pump  (Read 11176 times)
fasteddie

« on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »

My 2008 s2r monster died last week. The problem turned out to be a broken wire in the fuel pump. The wire was broken inside the plug that goes to the fuel pump. As you know it about $1050 for the pump. The dealer says that they are not allowed to repair the wire. They must replace the pump assembly.
I have called many parts houses ( new and used ) and they all say that Ducati has had a lot of this harness problems.
Could we get a number of people who have this issue and aproach Ducati with this.

Thanks
battlecry

On a silver black phantom bike...

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »

From the alternative parts thread up above, Supraguy74 wrote:

"really can believe this hasn't been covered, but i have a 2001 Monster 900Sie. Fuel pump when out and at ducati they are around 258ish, part number is a BOSCH 0580453408. Went to my local auto parts store cross referenced the bosch number and got a pump for 60.00. The rubber surround on the pump is just a cover that slides off the pump and onto the new one.
Easy peezy japanesey. I ended up with a AIRTEK E8335"

And Travman said:

"Chris Kelly of Ca Cycleworks (www.ca-cycleworks.com) has fuel pumps that are direct OEM replacement fuel pumps for $149.  "We've got dealer pricing so that shops can give out of warranty customers more realistic options."

This may give you an approach to finding some options for your bike.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:25:36 PM by battlecry » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »

IIRC, Ca Cycleworks now has the wiring/fitting assemblies to fix your problem.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Bianca

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »

Sounds like I have the same problem as Fasteddie. The fuel pump for my 695 busted last month. I thought I was lucky when my mechanic found an aftermarket pump for $200. But he just let me know today that the new fuel pump didn't fix the problem. There is a ground wire on the original assembly that has a short. He says the wire can't be replaced and ducati doesn't sell the fuel pump wiring harness separately. He's suggesting the complete fuel pump new from ducati or a used one that's still in good shape.

Do you think the Cycleworks pump will work on this? I couldn't find the full assembly on the site.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:21:05 AM by Bianca » Logged
tuxicle

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »

@Bianca:
Yes, the CA Cycleworks part will work on a 695. It did on mine:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=61306.msg1131869

I believe I got an early prototype from Chris, he said he'll begin production shortly. The part should be on their site after that.

@FastEddie:
When I had a similar problem, it turned out that it was a bad solder joint. Others have speculated that it may be ethanol in the gas, but it's my belief that it's poor workmanship. I wonder what it would take for Ducati to acknowledge this.

2008 M695
chris1044

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

My thoughts...having never experienced this:

1) If it's a bad solder joint, why not re-solder?
2) If it's a bad harness, why not make it?  Seriously.  Find the terminals/tool to crimp them, then get yourself whatever gauge wire it is.  You may have 200 into that (tool is typically expensive), but you'll have it for later repairs.  Chances are whatever supplier they used for this harness and its terminals they use across the bike.

It can't be that difficult if it truly is just the harness.
tuxicle

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »

@Chris
The bad joint can be re-soldered, but it must then be re-potted in gasoline-resistant epoxy. Others have tried JB Weld and noted it deteriorated in contact w/ gasoline. See my thread here:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=60239.msg1117644

Chris from CA Cycleworks had mentioned he had a product in the works that solved this with a replacement of the plug assembly, so I thought it would work better than me randomly trying different potting compounds that might leach epoxy into the gasoline and possibly foul the injectors. Finally, while I can't say what Chris might charge for the harness, I can be sure it costs less than a quality crimp tool. Typical Tyco, Molex or Amphenol crimpers are very expensive (I use them at work) and poor quality crimpers aren't going to do the right job.

2008 M695
fasteddie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »

I contacted Ducati in regards to this broken wire issue. They said to contact my dealer about fixing the problem. Of course the dealer will replace the whole canister at a cost of $1050. Also they told me to ask if the dealer has contacted the local rep.
That is all Ducati has to say on the matter. It seems that more and more in today's world the customers problems are secondary, and all they care about is pushing new bikes. After the warrenty is up, no matter how badly enginnered a product is, you are at there mercy.
chris1044

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »

@Chris
The bad joint can be re-soldered, but it must then be re-potted in gasoline-resistant epoxy. Others have tried JB Weld and noted it deteriorated in contact w/ gasoline. See my thread here:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=60239.msg1117644

Chris from CA Cycleworks had mentioned he had a product in the works that solved this with a replacement of the plug assembly, so I thought it would work better than me randomly trying different potting compounds that might leach epoxy into the gasoline and possibly foul the injectors. Finally, while I can't say what Chris might charge for the harness, I can be sure it costs less than a quality crimp tool. Typical Tyco, Molex or Amphenol crimpers are very expensive (I use them at work) and poor quality crimpers aren't going to do the right job.

1) Gasoline resistant varnish/epoxy/potting compound really isn't that scarce.  There are quite a few made by VonRoll/Dolphs/EssexBrownell that will work.  However, I guess it's not something the average person could probably pick up.
2) I'll agree that tyco/molex/amphenol are expensive.  However, there are quite a few other "generic" ones that provide a good enough job (delphi) IMO to work in this instance. That said, if CA cycleworks has something on the shelf, that's easier than trying to re-engineer this joint/harness.

Hopefully you find a solution...
CannedIce

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »

In case you guys haven't seen it...

The official link to our wire kit that fixes the above mentioned problem: http://ca-cycleworks.com/fwireslg

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
soundguy

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »

I think I also have the fuel pump/wiring problem.  2006 S2R 800, started giving me mixed starts, sometimes it would go, sometimes it wouldn't and then finally would never start.  I found a thread a month or two ago about listening for the fuel pump to prime on start, and I can't hear it prime now.  I went looking for the thread again but can't find it now. 

So, how do I know if I need to replace the pump or if its the wiring harness?

Thanks!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »

~~~SNIP~~~

So, how do I know if I need to replace the pump or if its the wiring harness?

Thanks!

You have to pull the pump assembly out, then you can figure it out.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
scaramanga

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »

I fixed this same problem on my s2r1000 last fall. I did my homework, found the broken solder joint, resoldered, repotted with the proper epoxy and all is well. BUT!!! if the cycleworks kit had been out at the time i would have bought it.
I can't believe how complete the kit is and for such a low price.
Trust me get the kit.

2008 s2r1000
2011 sf1098
CannedIce

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »

We no longer make this kit due to intermittent failure. Use Ducati part number 51020032A that replaces just the wires and plug for about $139! Call your local Ducati dealer and order. Not much online when you search via Google Smiley

In case you guys haven't seen it...

The official link to our wire kit that fixes the above mentioned problem: http://ca-cycleworks.com/fwireslg

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
cbcanada

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »

I just had the same problem and fixed it.. I have a whole thread on it in the tech section
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: