Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 03:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA Cycleworks fuel flange wiring harness install  (Read 9956 times)
tuxicle

« on: December 30, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

After having some trouble with my fuel pump and determining that it was the wiring harness at fault, I got to try out CA Cycleworks' fuel flange wiring harness. Many thanks to Chris for making this happen.

First off, all the parts involved:

The kit from CA Cycleworks arrived, with the plug/wiring harness, two hose clamps, the Superseal connector shell and some push-nuts. I had to buy a pair of snap-ring pliers, the el-cheapo Harbor-Freight ones will do. The plug is turned from aluminum, with a rubber insert to clamp down on the wires. The rubber insert looks similar to ones I've seen in Amphenol MS-PT (mil-spec) connectors, and is held in with a snap ring. The wires on the outside are covered using braid, and come with AMP Superseal pins crimped on. The Superseal shell and face-plate are also provided. You need to match up the order of the pins with the existing one on the bike (pretty easy, wires are color-coded.) The outside length of the cable assembly is longer than stock by several inches. I think this is a good thing, the stock assembly gets stretched badly when the tank is in the upright position.

First step: disconnect the hose going to the filter outlet (I had to destroy the stock fuel clamp) and remove the plastic cover, after disconnecting all the connectors. Remove the snap ring.

The plug should now slide out of the flange. Here are the original plug (left) and the CA Cycleworks plug (right):

I slid the new plug back in place, and used a pair of wide-jaw vise grips to compress the o-ring in place. The snap ring then holds the plug in place:

Note that in this picture, the "jaws" of the snap ring are positioned incorrectly, they need to be turned inwards to avoid interfering with the plastic cover. Here's a shot from behind:

Replace the plastic cover, and use the push-nuts to hold it in place. I used sockets to push the nuts down, instead of spending $53 at McMaster for an insertion tool.

Not all the posts could be done quite right. One of the posts was surrounded by plastic, so the supplied push nut wouldn't quite sit right. It holds the plastic down, but just barely:

Another one was impossible using the supplied push nuts. Fortunately, I had one of the originals handy, so I re-used it:

I don't think it should be a problem to have three out of the four push nuts holding down the plastic assembly, I guess time will tell. Next, re-assemble the fuel outlet hose to the filter. You can use the hose clamps that came with the kit to do this, since the stock ones have to be destroyed to get them off. I thought I could replace the fuel filter at this point so I bought a Duralast FF3424DL from Autozone. Unfortunately, I found one reference that claimed it was not compatible with FI engines, so I left the original in place.

I took the assembly out to the storage shed where my bike is and installed the flange. There were some minor issues with the quick-disconnects leaking gas, I think it was because they were cold. I fixed them up, but she wouldn't start - dead battery. Looks like the Shorai's are not invincible after all! Granted, it was about 18F at the time. I brought the battery back home and charged her up overnight using a WiFi access point power supply and a ballast resistor (~200 mA charge rate.) This morning, the bike coughed and sputtered, but eventually came to life. Here's a shot of Bella happily recharging her batteries:

Suggested changes in case Chris is listening: I'd add a strain relief of some type (like this one) where the cable assembly leaves the plug, just to be safe. A right angle version would be useful to keep the cable from hitting the high-temperature parts of the engine right below the fuel flange. If possible, please include smaller OD push-nuts so that they all make complete contact.

All said and done, if I could do it, anyone can. A solution at last to the fuel flange issue! Once again, thanks to Chris at CA Cycleworks for putting in the time and effort to design the replacement plug. bow down Now all I need is some warmer weather...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:16:30 PM by tuxicle » Logged

2008 M695
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »

Hi tuxicle, awesome write-up! Thanks for being the "proof" for our kit! I left getting the aluminum sleeve thing produced to the final step; we have RFQs out now to a couple machine shops with CNC lathes.

About the wires themselves; I copied the design from a 1098 oval fuel flange. And then I added the extra wires on the interior of the tank so as to be perfectly compatible with the round-flange'd Monsters. I debated additional strain relief on the exterior however there are so many unknowns, I chose to stick with what's working on the 8 series superbikes (1198,1098,848). Unknowns being: temperature resistance, resistance to gasoline, it would probably double the cost, blah blah. The other part of my goal with this is to have a ready solution for anyone who breaks wires on the 1098 type oval flanges.

To anyone reading, the next part is I made an adapter to adapt the 1098-style fuel flange wiring harness to work in the larger port on the round Monster fuel flanges. I need to check next if it works on the 749-type round flanges...

Thanks!
Chris
Grin

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

FYI these kits are in stock and shipping. Sorry, we couldn't find smaller push-nuts, so the not-quite-perfect-but-still-work-fine ones needs to suffice. Don't be too mad at dealers, the current procedure in the automotive industry are to make fuel system components non-rebuildable. So everyone, please tell your dealer about the kits so they can get one or two in stock. Our kit was tested first by a dealer, who loved what we sent and loves the concept.

Thanks,
Chris

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

Would grinding a small flat on the edge of the push nut with some Emory paper help the fitting?

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »

Probably not. It's too big. I put a couple flanges together using the ones we provide. It doesn't look like how it came from Bitron in Italy, but it works and keeps the plastic down.

NYCpersian

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »

Last week I bought the fuel flange/harness from Ca-cycleworks. Install was a breeze but I'm stuck on the last part of inserting the colored wires in the new connector. This is the old harness connector, it's butchered by the previous owner(s) and there's no blue wire. I think he may have tried to bypass the immobilizer? Any insight? This is an 05/06 Nylon tank on an '02 Monster 620ie.

This is the new Ca-Cycleworks harness and how I think the wires should go. Yes/No? Thanks for any pointers you guys may have.  Wouldn't have made it this far without Ca-cycleworks!

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »

I looked at a sample OEM part and the wires order with the tab facing up (like you have it):
RED
BLACK
WHITE
BLUE

Though I believe your order would still work. That other mod was to bypass the fuel level sensor.

Thanks,
Chris

NYCpersian

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »

Chris, you were right. I rearranged the wires as per your instruction and she fired right up!  Thank you for keeping another Duc on the road!

Also thanks to Carlos for the PM and schematic! Let's ride..
lawbreaker

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

Extra Kudos to Chris@CalCycleworks!

I recently dropped one into my S2R 1000... DEFINITELY saved my  bacon AND some money!
originalmc

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

Chris, was this part discontinued? I hope not, I think I need it and I'm finding lots of Ducati owners crying about the $1100 OEM replacement.  Cry
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »

@originalMC when our manufacturer mixed the POM for the plug in the middle of the wires, they did something wrong and a bunch were leaking.

When we get inquiries for this, we send people a link to buy a $200 Aprilia fuel flange from which they source the wiring (with the POM black plastic plug) and then we sell them all the other bits that were in our FWIRES-LG kit separately.

This is about the best option there is. Tongue

originalmc

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »

Hi Chris, once again after a few months of intermittent riding the fuel pump stopped working. I did more testing and am 90% sure it is the wiring problem in the flange. You mentioned the Aprilia flange and the other bits from your discontinued kit. Can you send me more information? Thank you.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »

Hi originalmc, please send us an email from the contact page so Canned Ice can get back to you in the morning with our "blurb" about it. Thanks, Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: