Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 04:37:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team UnorthoDUX Ducati based land-speed racers New pic pg 19!  (Read 204846 times)
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »

91 F800 with an F350 body swap. 7.8l 6 cylinder, turbo, intercooled, RT 6610 with 4.10 in the rear, running on 22.5s. air brakes, horn, and seats.

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »

Pretty cool waytogo

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #422 on: August 07, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »

I dig it. It shifts like a dream, and I'm unlikely to hurt it pulling weight. I am swapping the bed with a flat deck so I can drop the hitch down a little. I want the trailer level when hooked up so the fridge works right.

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »

So, despite distractions, the project plan remains about the same as last year. Fuel pump, steel tank, cleaned up injectors, relocate some electrickery out of the airstream and hopefully some of the salt, and tune.

The fuel tank is ugly but almost done. The injectors are clean and matched. The fuel pump is boughten. Now for some plumbing and bracketry...

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

I'm calling the fuel tank done. It might get some paint if I have time.

The seat is mounted.

Tomorrow is finish bracketry and wiring changes as appropriate (I moved most everything electric under the seat, so some of the wires are tangled).

zach (Slag)

« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2018, 05:06:36 AM »

This update makes me happy. Was really hoping the project was still going  chug

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #426 on: July 29, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #427 on: July 29, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »

Running, but still a few issues.

It seems to want a lot of fuel when cranking. And I have what I think is EMI screwing up the computer at about 8k RPM. It won't idle yet, either.

Still, two weeks to go.

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #428 on: August 04, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »

Today's "progress" report:
Moved the coils as far from the ECU as possible, and put a 56k resistor in the crank sensor wire to clean up most of the noise...

Unfortunately I seem to have killed yet another sprag gear. Tomorrow the plan is to make a roll starter.

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »

Well, today did not go as planned.

No roll starter, as there was a miscommunication about who was doing what part of which work... That's okay, I got a spare sprag installed. Note to self, there are at least three variants, and while they are replaceable as whole chunk, none of the pieces interchange. At this point I have no idea which bikes any of them came from... and I still have one good spare. Cleaned out as much debris as possible and inspected/cleaned the oil pump screen.

Once we got that sorted, we spent a little bit of time making noise... and it banged the rev limiter at 11k! This is exciting because I've never had it fire up and rev like that. As we excitedly revved the bike, the fuel washdown made itself known... there were flames out of the breather! Found the acceleration enrichment (the EFI equivalent of an accelerator pump) was a little agressive. I toned that down, and it seemed much better.

All this time the bike has been strapped down on the homemade dyno in anticipation of doing a few pulls. Suddenly, in the midst of a run up the RPM range (still no load), there is a bit of a bang, and the glory of a short-piped, flame-throwing 749R is silent. But the rear wheel moved.

It turns out the bike was in a false neutral that allowed it to fall into probably 3rd at maybe 8k on the way up.

It also turns out the weak point in the driveline is the chain tension adjuster in the swingarm (as you may have seen from my panicked plea in the GM forum). Clean everything up, lament missed deadlines and promises to spouse, search eBay... and there is one in Santa Cruz. It should be here latest Friday. If the ECU issues don't gang up on me on Friday (I suspect it isn't really capable of running a fuel pump despite literature to the contrary, and I think failing to properly manage the fuel pump was the first indicator of the last one going bad).

Anyway... The problems seem to have decreased in scope. I'll know more once I can put the rear wheel back where it belongs, but I haven't given up yet.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »

popcorn

2015 Scrambler 800
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »

It turns out the chain tensioner from an st4 is a pretty damn close fit. I forgot about that neglected bike in the family.

Further reflection on the fuel pump issue... We had a hell of a monsoon beat us down mid afternoon. Maybe water got where it shouldn't and caused problems?

Tomorrow we'll unplug the plug and inspect/add dielectric grease. If nothing obvious presents, we'll open the ecu box and inspect/dry/reseal/hope.

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:42 PM »

The new adjuster got here yesterday (two days early!) and I fired Lucky up real quick. No problems except forgetting that I am sticking foam tennis balls in the intakes to keep the dust and birds out. A quick blip of the throttle to terrify the dog and shut it off.

Spent some time this evening after work wandering around picking up tools. I'm pretty terrible about picking up after myself, and the last year has been one mad sprint after another to wrench on things... my tools were everywhere. I think I've found most of them, but there are still a few hiding under intake manifolds or something.

We'll pack tomorrow and head out on Saturday. All we're really missing is a day of waiting in line.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2018, 06:35:21 AM »

Good luck!  Dolph

Wendover weather report looks good.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »

Warming up for the local test run.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: