Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 06:35:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M1100S Ohlins rear shock fully adjustable?  (Read 1564 times)
graydo

« on: November 17, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »

greetings to all...
I am trying to tweak the suspension on my bike at the same time I am doing a S4RS....
I don't seem to able to find a compression valving adjustment on the rear shock. There is a rebound adjuster on the top of the shock but as per the manuals nothing for compression... so are we meant to tune compression via the spring only? the bike seems a bit stiff in the back. I am about 200lb and only ride solo, and the bike has lost a lot of weight in the back with exhaust changes etc and I have the spring backed off all the way to try and get 30mm of droop with me on it.
Has anyone had any experience with the Ohlins on the M1100? 

Will appreciate the advice

Thanks
FrankenDuc

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:26 AM »

Is the chrome rod pointed roughly up or down?
If the chrome rod is pointed up (emulsion type), rebound only, its at the top  (IMO far and away the most important knob...).  Think some of the M1100's shipped with Ohlins of these sorts...
If down, bottom - rebound's at the end of the chrome rod either way.

Does yours have an external reservoir? Generally, if there's an external reservoir there is compression adjustor(s), they're at the top of the reservoir. If not, no compression adjustor. This is a production issue - on compression, oil displaced by the volume of the chrome rod entering the shock body is metered through a compression adjustor valve into somewhere - with reservoir, easy to design and manufacture a place for that oil to go (and to place a valve to meter it), without reservoir much more difficult (though if I recall correct, Penske has a non-reservoir variant with both rebound and compression adjusters at the end of the rod).

Hope this helps
 chug

"hammer to fit, paint to match"
graydo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

Thanks, it is mounted the correct way up with the adjusters on the rod end (up)
The S4RS is fully adjustable... seems the M1100 isn't.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

The stock Ohlins on the 1100S has no compression adjustment, just rebound and preload.  Reducing rebound will affect compression.in that shock.  Did you buy the bike new?  If you cannot get enough sag as a 200lb. rider it sounds like to high a spring rate.  Maybe the spring has been changed.
graydo

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »

Thanks Howie, yes bought it new so pretty sure the spring hasn't been changed.
So I am guessing a lighter spring is needed.... is there a quality Ti spring that can save some weight at the sale time? anyone know?

Howie I will try backing off the rebound adjuster and see what it does... are you saying it is more of a dual adjustment rather than just rebound?

Thanks to all.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »

All of the Ohlins springs I've seen are marked with the rate, what does yours say?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »

The adjustment in theory is rebound but does affect both.  Start at the setting in your owner's manual.  Go two clicks soft at a time.  Speeddog is guru like with the spring rate/weight thing.   Actually on the whole suspension thing.  What bike did you ride before?  The Monster is a bit on the stiff side compared to some others.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »

The Ohlins on the 1100's comes with a "dump truck spring"  Shocked

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
graydo

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »

Thanks Speeddog...When I can get near the bike I will see if i can find the spring rating or number.  waytogo

Howie will give the rebound adjuster a go and let you know. It is at the factory setting at present.
Ducnaked I am inclined to agree!

Still cant help thinking it is a bit of both though... considering I am struggling to get the 30mm droop to start with unless I have the spring pretty well loose on the shock. These bikes do loose quite a bit of weight hanging right out the back when we put light weight exhausts on, you lose the stepper motor and the tail as well plus a little bit of everything else behind the front wheel maybe it adds up to needing to have to drop down a spring size? If you rode 2 up then might not be so obvious.

I am comparing it also with the S4RS.(unmodified except dialing the shock and forks)
graydo

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »

Speeddog here is the Ohlins spring number....

01092-49/130 L358

What does that tell you?

popcorn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: