Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 03:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to reset maintenance reminder on monster  (Read 26565 times)
lillo

« on: November 11, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »

hi guys my friend was wondering how to reset the maintenance light on his '11 monster 1100. He says he doesn't need to go in and get the valve adjustment service (trust me its not because of the money), he says the bike runs superb so no need at the moment plus his dealer is located far from him. Anyhow is there any easy way to reset the light?? Or does he need to buy something or what? Let me know thanks.

m696: full termi kit; works fender eliminator; Rizoma; crg bar end mirrors, alarm system; ducati corse decals; blackened heat shield covers;
848 evo: rizoma
desmodoktor

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

hi guys my friend was wondering how to reset the maintenance light on his '11 monster 1100. He says he doesn't need to go in and get the valve adjustment service (trust me its not because of the money), he says the bike runs superb so no need at the moment plus his dealer is located far from him. Anyhow is there any easy way to reset the light?? Or does he need to buy something or what? Let me know thanks.

how many miles on the monster?!
u have to plug in a computer to it and reset it .. so far i havent heard anyone doing it old school ... u know hold the button down and turn the ignition on ...  Grin
they plugged mine to a computer to reset the maintenance  light aka wrench.

IG @desmodoktor & @ridingturtlegarage
lillo

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »

I believe the monster has 8250 miles on it. Wait can you explain how to do it the old school please. What button do you hold down?

m696: full termi kit; works fender eliminator; Rizoma; crg bar end mirrors, alarm system; ducati corse decals; blackened heat shield covers;
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »

"Old School" will not work on the new bikes.  The light must be reset with a scan tool.  At least for now.  The valve clearances and other items on the bike should be checked, as well as anything else the bike might need, like brake fluid change.  The idea is to do this before the bike does not run well, thus the term "preventative maintenance".
lillo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

what kind of scan tool is it? & yes i agree with you on the maintenance but that is just my friends philosophy. I think he heard from someone that you really do not need to adjust the valves if you treat your bike well and runs strong plus lots of dealer just want your money and will say that you need things done while in reality you dont always do.

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

... old school way, in case anyone with old(er) Monster wants to know ...

1. turn ignition OFF
2. press and hold down the LEFT function button on the clock
3. while holding down the left function button, turn ignition ON and let the instrument panel run check-up cycle ( the pointers on the tach & speedo swing to full scale, then come back to zero)
4.turn ignition OFF

That's it. When ignition key is turned on next time, the LCD display no longer shows "MAint".
Works for my 2005 S4R. So, I assume it'd work on the Monsters that have Magneti Marelli ECUs. 2011 1100 Evo has Seimens ECU.

To OP, the scan tool mentioned is something like this
 http://www.technoresearch.com/index.php?pid=37
(IF I were in your friend's situation, this is the way I'd go. Or, just ignore the light and live with it.)
lillo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »

thank you everyone. Let me know if you have other info.

desmodoktor

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »

what kind of scan tool is it? & yes i agree with you on the maintenance but that is just my friends philosophy. I think he heard from someone that you really do not need to adjust the valves if you treat your bike well and runs strong plus lots of dealer just want your money and will say that you need things done while in reality you dont always do.

that's why ur friend has to learn how to do his own valve check/adjustment.

lillo

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

waytogo true that...I should also!  Grin

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:05 AM »

what kind of scan tool is it?
The Rexxer reflash tool has Service Indicator reset facility for our Siemens ECU Monsters (696/796/1100).

Search around here for "rexxer" if you're interested.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Raux
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:07:50 AM »

The valves should at least be checked and the belts should be replaced.
and doesn't matter the mileage, the belts are already 2 years old ('11 has a '10 manufacturing date I suspect)
of course an oil change.
chain tension checked

anything less than that and you're friend won't be happy when it doesn't 'run strong'
because if the belts let go the motor is toast.
or the chain snaps, his case can be cracked
or if the valves hit the piston...
etc etc

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:09:41 AM by Raux » Logged
memper

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:30 AM »

↑↑↓↓←→←→  {B} {A} [select] [start]

Smiley (sorry)

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
desmodoktor

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »

The valves should at least be checked and the belts should be replaced.
and doesn't matter the mileage, the belts are already 2 years old ('11 has a '10 manufacturing date I suspect)
of course an oil change.
chain tension checked

anything less than that and you're friend won't be happy when it doesn't 'run strong'
because if the belts let go the motor is toast.
or the chain snaps, his case can be cracked
or if the valves hit the piston...
etc etc

Abt the belts... Been wanting to add this sometime to this forum...
I have a 02 m750 dark.  Got it with 4500miles in 2009.
Nothing was done to it besides the oil changes ... The bike has 10k miles now .. I replaced the stock belts in April this year ... and They were/are in perfect shape ... I only replaced them bcoz of all these threads I've been reading here ...  To give u an idea of how mint the bike is ...  It still has 3/4 on the original brembo brake pads Smiley)

Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

You can claim they look great all you like....right up until the time you have to replace the entire top end of a cylinder 'cause a belt broke.  They ALWAYS look good until they don't.

Brake pads and belts have nothing to do with each other.  Why use brake wear as a measure of belt life when Ducati gave you a perfectly serviceable measuring tool?  2 years on the bike or 12k (15k on later bikes, depending on the service regimen you choose to adhere to) miles.  Simple and easy.  A $100 set of belts is dirt cheap compared to a head, piston, and cylinder. 

The last DS1000 motor I did for a customer was nearly $1k in USED parts! 

Now...go buy a Panigale and you won't have to worry about those pesky belts, anymore.   Wink

Scan tools?  I like Technoresearch.  The VDST product line is now compatible with Siemens ecu units, too.  Now if they'll just get me something for these doggone Mitsubishi units!  (Diavel, liquid cooled Multistrada, and Panigale)

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
desmodoktor

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »

You can claim they look great all you like....right up until the time you have to replace the entire top end of a cylinder 'cause a belt broke.  They ALWAYS look good until they don't.

Brake pads and belts have nothing to do with each other.  Why use brake wear as a measure of belt life when Ducati gave you a perfectly serviceable measuring tool?  2 years on the bike or 12k (15k on later bikes, depending on the service regimen you choose to adhere to) miles.  Simple and easy.  A $100 set of belts is dirt cheap compared to a head, piston, and cylinder. 

The last DS1000 motor I did for a customer was nearly $1k in USED parts! 

Now...go buy a Panigale and you won't have to worry about those pesky belts, anymore.   Wink

Scan tools?  I like Technoresearch.  The VDST product line is now compatible with Siemens ecu units, too.  Now if they'll just get me something for these doggone Mitsubishi units!  (Diavel, liquid cooled Multistrada, and Panigale)

you are 100% right and i absolutely agree with you.. and im not cheap .. im just sharing my experience... *(was comparing the condition of the belts with the belts from the car ..)
and they looked pretty good .

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: