Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:55:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition issues, Monster 600 - timing pickup & ignition coils  (Read 5429 times)
tibrocks

« on: September 27, 2012, 06:43:03 AM »

Hi

I've got an M300AA from 2000's and one of the ignition pickups just failed, the one from the horizontal cylinder.. it reads 0ohms while the other one says 110ohms..
looking for a new sensor I found something on ebay, it's from electrex (P8) but it's rated 460ohms instead of ~100 ..
I would replace them both if they work fine but I don't want to damage the CDI's .. anyone tried them? Need advice please!!

the second thing is that both ignition coils are getting Really hot, even if the engine is off, and they drain the battery if I leave the key ON.. is that normal?

any input appreciated!

cheers
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:45:26 AM »

I can't answer the question about pickup resistance, but the coils getting hot with the key off is definitely not normal.

I'd think you have a short somewhere. Disconnect the battery.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

motoxmann

'00 M750

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »

I think he means the coils get really hot if the key is on but the engine is not running. my m750 does the same exact thing, and I've tested both my coils and they test perfectly within spec, and all the wiring to my coils is normal as well.

I recently needed to replace my pickup coils too as one of mine was cracked. it tested within spec, but it would misfire badly on occasion on the cyl that had the cracked pickup. I also found those same pickups you're referring to and asked about them and a lot of people told me they work fine. but honestly, I didnt want to risk it so I just stalked ebay for a little while hoping to find a deal on a new or used set of ducati pickups, and sure enough I came across a listing from the UK of a brand new set of genuine ducati ones for about 2/3 the price of new ones from online ducati dealers. so I bought that. and even after international shipping, it was still cheaper than a new set from the cheapest online ducati dealer in the US
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »

Ooops...re-reading it you're right.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

brad black

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »

the p8 work fine.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
tibrocks

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

@motoxmann you were really lucky to get an original set like that, I check on ebay every day but nothing shows up.. My best option would be a set of genuine ducati pickups but there are none on ebay and I just can't afford a full-priced set at the moment Sad that's why I thought the P8 would be an alternative..
so you say your ignition coils are 'boiling' as well? I replaced the coils with some identically others and the same result - hot.

@ brad black - have you tested the P8? I think I'll buy a pair..

thanks
brad black

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

i've fitted quite a few, including one only to replace a failed genuine pick up.

you can unsolder them at a sleeve join about 10mm from the pick up itself.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
tibrocks

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »

Hi again.. I bought the P8s and installed them but I kinda messed with the wires and now I don't know how to connect the sensors to the Ignition Units...

If someone could lift the tank for me and tell me the order, I will attach a drawing

so reading from left to right, the first set is White and Red and the second is Black and Yellow.. what is the color order as they connect to the modules, I've lost the original wires and the connectors..
if someone could reply the colors like white-red-black yellow, I don't know...

Thanks   
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »

Left to right, oddly enough, just as you said it.

White, red, black, yellow.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
tibrocks

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:44:14 AM »

..awkward ..  Huh?

Thanks a lot!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: