Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 08:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are monsters harder than speed bikes when it comes to putting ur knee down?  (Read 17301 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »

He's also crossed up, tense and target fixates. Pick a mistake.. he made it.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
freeclimbmtb
From Zero Member to

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:03 AM »

I would say flagging a knee out in jeans is problems 1, 2, and 3.  Problems 4-19 you can put in order as you see fit.  to the OP, I have the same pants/jacket as you, I bought the setup with track aspirations but like you, want to see if i can get a little scuff in the meantime...ive never gotten closer than an inch (follower estimated) partly because I also am still learning HOW to hang and partly im terrified of what my reaction will be and the street is the wrong place to do...well...what that guy did. 

Body position is huge...but I found that the stock bars on the new gen monsters really prevented me from hanging very far at all...might be my size (5'6") so ive got shorter arms and shorter legs...my legs arent getting as close to the road, and my outside arm actually restricts my "hang off" range...  Clipons gave me a lot more range of motion by bringing that outside arm closer to the centerline of the bike.  Still, I was always told to try and "kiss your mirror" to get a better body position... (people that know what they are talking about...not me...can confirm/deny/correct this as they wish.)  Another fine point...your pegs...I had a "fear of slipping" my outside foot off the pegs, I got some super grippy rizomas and it was a huge confidence boost.

EDIT:  BTW...Use all that advice at a riding school or track day and not on the street...and Ill try and do the same...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:38:33 AM by freeclimbmtb » Logged

2011 Monster 796 ABS

CW/evotech tail tidy, lightwereks integrated tail light, CRG Arrow bar end mirrors, Duc.ee solenoid eliminator & 696 midpipe, sans charcoal canister, pileon grab bars, Arrow Dark slipons (sans dB killers), Rizoma Zero11's, Rizoma Lux grips, Rizoma rearsets, Rizoma gas cap, 1098R Ohlins forks, IMA Triples, Galfer wave rotors, Brembo radial masters, Rizoma reservoirs, Ohlins DU737, Rizoma bars, 15t AFAM front and 41t supersprox rear sprocket with EK MVXC chain.
dk1six

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 05:25:33 AM »

Looking at your video it seems like you might want to concentrate on having good form first and getting your knee down much later if at all?  It looked like you really didn't come off the bike much in trying to get your knee down and so the bike had to lean further or for you than it would have had to if you were positioned better.  It also looked like you were coming off the bike late in the turn for the amount you did move off the bike but what I noticed most of all was your proximity to the on coming traffic as you leaned further in their direction in the pursuit of puck wear.  I wondered if you noticed that but like it was said, a parking lot is a good place to practice if you've got to have your knee down and it's safer.

98 900 SSFE
05 S2R 800
07 Sportster 883L
20 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »

im short legged, if i drag a knee on the street i am doing one of 3 things

1) i am going way to freaking slow
2) I am going way to freaking fast
3) i am about to crash was the first thing to touch was my damn knee.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Blackout

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

As others have said here I think it's a waste of time "trying" to get a knee down on the street.
Looked to me like the guy on the R6 panicked when his boot touched down.

As far as critiquing your ride vid the only thing I saw was your apparent use of the clutch on upshifts. If you wanna get there faster pulling in the clutch slows you down. Learn how to shift up without the clutch. It's easy, fun and doesn't hurt your bike.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
desmodoktor

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

As far as critiquing your ride vid the only thing I saw was your apparent use of the clutch on upshifts. If you wanna get there faster pulling in the clutch slows you down. Learn how to shift up without the clutch. It's easy, fun and doesn't hurt your bike.

yeah ive been practicing that.. but i have to practice a little more bcos the 1100evo is poppin wheelies on every gear .. not used to it yet Smiley

IG @desmodoktor & @ridingturtlegarage
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

This guy's a classic example of hunting for a knee down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL547QPaR1c&hd=1#

Ouch! Track bike anyone?

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
FrankenDuc

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:38 AM »

Seems like a great place to talk about "knee down" riding.
Since I was 14 (I'm 37 now), on the street, I've gotten my knee down exactly once.

I had about 1hr sleep in the past 48, was just trying to get home, was used to a certain pace, and I ran into a familiar corner at my usual speed (waaaayyy too fast for my condition).  The rear washed out real good, I dug my knee into the pavement... And totally saved it !!!  Grin

Except, a fraction of a second later, once the rear caught, the front washed out Shocked  I was on the throttle, but not hard enough for the situation... My body parts were in all the wrong locations... after departing the bike, I almost had the perfect baseball "slide to home", except my throttle hand index and middle fingers got caught between the front brake lever and the grip when the bike hit the ground, and I gave up a couple of ribs for the incident.

My morals:
1) I get some rest... If not, I stay home, today's not a good day to go out and ride
2)  For me, knee down seems to be the first thing that happens before the rest of me goes down  laughingdp so knee down on the track, OK find the road..., on the street though, it's a last resort...

I think the only thing I did right in the entire incident was to look exactly where I wanted to go...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:40:18 AM by FrankenDuc » Logged

"hammer to fit, paint to match"
OzzyRob
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »

Monsters are harder to ctach if ridden well.  waytogo
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »

I drag my knee at the track without trying to or thinking about it. On the street I have done it twice by accident on sportbikes, 916 and YZF750. I have never done it on my Monster. On the Monster, I find the toe slider can touch quite regularly, even with my foot raised on the peg. On an old Monster, I find the toe slider protudes just past the footpeg when I'm on the balls of my feet. I dont ride hard on the street.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
militar3rd
Ce Sharp

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »

On the street, its REALLY hard to put a knee down because of many factors. One of which is the limited amount of legal space you can operate the bike in. One lane is around 10-13 feet, how are you gonna safely scrape your knee with the apex is in the path of the oncoming car?

On the track ,its REALLY easy to learn.

2006 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Track&Commute)
2001 Monster M900 Si.e. (Current)
1998 Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 (Sold)
1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 [101,000+ miles] (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 [220,000+ km] @ Philippines (Donated to degenerate cousin)
memper

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »

from what i understand, the honed track riders and pros are never trying for a knee. they are trying to get around and upright as fast as possible. Shouldnt that be your goal as well? So big whoop, you get your knee down, did you get smoked in the process?

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »

fthey are trying to get around and upright as fast as possible.

Correct - especially on the big bikes. You can spend more time on the power and more of your power the more traction you have. You have them most traction you will have when the bike is up n down. I can't recall what pro rider said it, but basically he said that he views a track as a series of connected straights and his job is to find the way to make each as long as possible so he can spend the most time on the gas.

Smaller bikes, one rides a bit more differently as a Ninja 250 isn't going to break the rear loose as easily if you gas it in a turn as say and R1 would. So the little bikes are more about coner entry speeds and keeping that speed - but that's a whole different discussion.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:01:49 AM by Slide Panda » Logged

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Triple J
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »

Smaller bikes, one rides a bit more differently as a Ninja 250 isn't going to break the rear loose as easily if you gas it in a turn as say and R1 would. So the litter bikes are more about coner entry speeds and keeping that speed - but that's a whole different discussion.

Are you saying the liter bikes are more about corner speed (can't tell if the "litter" typo is supposed to be liter or little).

Small displacement bikes are more about carrying corner speed because you don't have the horsepower to get out of the corner otherwise. Liter bikes are more point and shoot since they have the grunt, so you can deal with lower corner speed.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

Wow.. fumble fingers which I corrected.

Yes Little is what I meant. Smaller displacement lighter machines like a ninja 250 are about that corner speed vs the point-n-shoot of a 1000

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: