Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 10:09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are monsters harder than speed bikes when it comes to putting ur knee down?  (Read 17309 times)
desmodoktor

« on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

i was wondering if monsters are harder when it comes to putting ur knee down on curves..? im 5'8'' tall 170lb.. been trying to put my knee down for a while now.. nothing crazy ..
i scratch the foot pegs first ..  all my buddies on speed bikes can easely put their knee down .. any advice?

IG @desmodoktor & @ridingturtlegarage
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

Advice...

hang off the bike.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

desmodoktor

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

Advice...

hang off the bike.

thank you . ill try to hang off more..
here's a video of me . please point out my mistakes or things i should do differently . thx

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

First...

dragging a knee doesn't mean you're faster.

Second...

dragging knees on the street is for squids.

Go to the track and learn about body position and going fast.

You'll die trying to be racerx on the street.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

sgollapalle

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »

Sorry for being off topic.. Where did you mount the camera? And what camera is it? I have a Contour Pro and want to mount it in a similar position to see how smooth my turns are.. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:16:02 AM by sgollapalle » Logged

'11 M-696
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:09:27 AM »

Go to a total control class. They will have you dragging a knee at 20 mph in a parking lot with proper form.

Putting a knee down when the rest of your body positon is wrong might be a 'hey guys I got a knee down' show off point, but a fast and capable rider it does not make. There's plenty of folks in my area who consider themselves 'fast' - but they only are good at twisting the throttle in the straight and they have mAAAAsssive chicken strips because they  are poor riders.

Be a good rider and then you'll be a fast rider too.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
desmodoktor

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »

Sorry for being off topic.. Where did you mount the camera? And what camera is it? I have a Contour Pro and want to mount it in a similar position to see how smooth my turns are.. Thanks!

I have the gopro hero 2 . Mounted it on the passenger foot peg. Offcourse u have to tie the peg so it doesn't move up and down. Used fish line.

desmodoktor

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

Go to a total control class. They will have you dragging a knee at 20 mph in a parking lot with proper form.

Putting a knee down when the rest of your body positon is wrong might be a 'hey guys I got a knee down' show off point, but a fast and capable rider it does not make. There's plenty of folks in my area who consider themselves 'fast' - but they only are good at twisting the throttle in the straight and they have mAAAAsssive chicken strips because they  are poor riders.

Be a good rider and then you'll be a fast rider too.

I completely understand what u r saying and u r 100% right.
I have no chicken strip left.. And I know I lean a lot but also know that my body position is somehow wrong... That's why I was thinking it has smth to do with the bike... Since all my buddies drag knees on 50~ 60mph on the same corners. Offcourse im not going to push my limits on public roads. That's why I wanted some opinions from more experienced riders.. Thx

Raux
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »

dragging knees at 50-60 on the street? Why?

I know guys that way push it past these speeds on the street and purposely don't wear knee pucks to avoid putting their knees down.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »

And I know I lean a lot but also know that my body position is somehow wrong...

Don't you think this might be the fundamental issue?

While it's possible there's something not right with your bike, like improper suspension set up for you - many times the problem is *us*. The bike doesn't change, we do. Bike doesn't care - there's plenty of videos of people getting bucked off a bike or falling in some other way... and the bike stays up and keeps happily going around a turn without it's human cargo problem.

And perhaps, them dragging a knee and you not is a sign that you're doing something right, where they are not. Putting a knee down isn't a magical indicator that everything is right. Again, plenty of video and photos floating around of folks with a knee down and crossed up upper body, stiff arms and other issues.

Like this guy:

In short - dont get hung up on touching that knee. Figure out if you have a body position, or perhaps even suspension set up issue and correct that first

For humilities sake - here's me at a track day

- I ran the tires to the bloody edge and was sneaking past folks on bike with 2-3x the horse power in the bends and I *might* have just skimmed, skimmed a slider.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
sgollapalle

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

I have the gopro hero 2 . Mounted it on the passenger foot peg. Offcourse u have to tie the peg so it doesn't move up and down. Used fish line.

Thanks! will have to see how mine would sit there...

'11 M-696
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »

You shouldn't ever try and get a knee down.  Your knee/elbow/shoulder (for those of us who ride at that level  Smiley) touching should be a byproduct of speed.  It's the result of you literally hanging as far off the bike as humanly possible as well as the bike being on the verge of running out of lean angle.  I've run (back in my racerX days) with guys on brand new suspension tuned liter bikes and was only a hop skip and a jump behind them, and I'm convinced the only reason they out ran me in the corners (I mean, other than 80hp) was my overall lack of testicular fortitude.  My knee was nowhere near the ground, implying I still had plenty more lean angle.  I'm 6'4", btw, with big goofy legs.

With the exception of a shitty turn a couple of years ago, I've never had my pegs touch the ground and while on a 5 minute joy ride on my bike a buddy told me that he "got the pegs down around the roundabout".  On cold tires.  He doesn't ride my bike anymore.  Point is, learn how to ride your bike properly and you won't have to worry about sliding your knee in a paltry 60mph turn. 

/ brag Smiley

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
desmodoktor

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »

You shouldn't ever try and get a knee down.  Your knee/elbow/shoulder (for those of us who ride at that level  Smiley) touching should be a byproduct of speed.  It's the result of you literally hanging as far off the bike as humanly possible as well as the bike being on the verge of running out of lean angle.  I've run (back in my racerX days) with guys on brand new suspension tuned liter bikes and was only a hop skip and a jump behind them, and I'm convinced the only reason they out ran me in the corners (I mean, other than 80hp) was my overall lack of testicular fortitude.  My knee was nowhere near the ground, implying I still had plenty more lean angle.  I'm 6'4", btw, with big goofy legs.

With the exception of a shitty turn a couple of years ago, I've never had my pegs touch the ground and while on a 5 minute joy ride on my bike a buddy told me that he "got the pegs down around the roundabout".  On cold tires.  He doesn't ride my bike anymore.  Point is, learn how to ride your bike properly and you won't have to worry about sliding your knee in a paltry 60mph turn. 

/ brag Smiley

Got it . Thx for the advice!  I'll try to forget abt it .. Smiley at least on public roads... Evil

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »

This guy's a classic example of hunting for a knee down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL547QPaR1c&hd=1#

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
desmodoktor

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »

This guy's a classic example of hunting for a knee down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL547QPaR1c&hd=1#

Yeah.. But without knee pucks? That's stupid...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: