Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:55:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati EVO1100 Motor Swap (into an S2R1000)  (Read 17348 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »

I know both Steve and Diego.  Diego worked with Steve back at Cliff's and is a good guy.

I have found, and still find Steve incredibly accommodating in a business where often the norm is an appointment weeks in advance for a 600 mile service.  Moves are hectic and can really destroy schedules.  Your bike is, at this point, rather unique and may take extra time, so keep that in mind.

muskrat

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »

HeMan, I think your expectations are what they are because 1 you met their schedule by working hard on getting your shit together for them and 2 because you were told so by someone at the shop.  It's your bike and I too would be pissed and aggravated after two weeks of phone tag with no validation of real work being done.  If you're not happy find someone who will do the work and piss on them.  I for one value every customer the same for a reason, because the collective makes you successful not the one or two millionaires who use only you exclusively.  Maybe I'm old school when it comes to treating everyone fairly but it's not something I will compromise. 
Good luck and keep us posted. 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Raux
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »

I agree.  your money is green too
and in the every customer is a priority
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »

I called up Diego today and he said tuesday. So I'll leave it at that for now. If they don't hit tuesday I'll talk to Steve about it. I'm pretty sure Steve is beyond the scheduling and tech work as he is the owner now and has other matters to deal with.

I've had great experiences with ECS and anyone i recommend to them say the same thing. I'm about to just delete this thread and come back with good news cause I don't want to slander them more than I unintentionally have.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »

Moved back / HeMan's request.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »

Just an Update:

Called up Steve, said they would work on it tuesday as promised. Ended up having to drive in the direction of ECS for work and picked it up on my way down from work "upstate".

Just to clear up the matter, it was a scheduling issue and it was a matter of trying to cushioning it for what it really was, i.e. they were too busy to work on it. When I spoke to Steve, he apologized, and thats that, its out of anyones hands.

Now to get back on track. The bike dynoed at 92.5hp and 69ft-lbs of torque. Its much perkier but its difficult to start. I suspect the battery voltage is dropping below satisfactory levels because teh HID headlight shuts off during cranking. I'd like to go for a stronger lithium battery, something in the order of 12 cell LiFePO4 batteries not the 8 cells. Has anyone put such a large battery on a street machine?  The downfall is that these lithium batts do not work well in the winter and need to be warmed up by drawing current (headlamps, heated glvoes etc).

Does anyone have recommendations on the battery?

There was a pertty bad vibration in the front end when i was riding it, and i suspect that it wasnt an engine problem , more likely it was the head bearings not being tight enough. I did tighten them up and removed the damper to get a better feel for the front end issues. They were much better once i tightened them up. But I'd still like to know what the proper torque value on tapered head bearings should be if anyone knows.

I also picked up a triple adjustable 8770 shock from a 998. Im going to swap out springs with my ohlins .95kg/mm spring and see if it works well with my bike.

for $40 shipping that dude better put the make the beast with two backser in a gold box with chocolate and grapes.

As for the front end. well, ECS said the front was feeling very vague. I suspect that was due to the loose head bearings. Ive always felt they were vague after riding other bikes with Ohlins and well tuned showas. So im not sure wehre to go from there. Taft here has a UES equiped 1098 fork set on ebay. I was thinking about picking that up, but its not a huge concern right now. I have some 7.5w oil coming in today and doing an oil change.

Here are the dyno graphs between the old DS1000 and new EVO1100 motor. Same dyno.

This is the old DS1000 motor in the 2006 S2R1000

Roughly the same conditions with the new motor.
73 degrees
63% Humidity
29.78 in Hg

as for the airbox idea. it helps for sure. but its still loud as make the beast with two backsing BAWLS. Without any padding around the tank and the cover, its a beast. Honestly  i think im better off with Pod filters and more sound protection under the tank. its absolutely insane amount of noise coming from the throttle.  And on the exhaust end, the motor is much more gnarly than my DS1000. Its headache loud in the helmet.

At idle, you can hear the intake suck in a huge amount of air. Its just much more apparent than before.

Based on teh A/F curve im not sure how rich the bike would run with baffles and a closed airbox. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:39:30 PM by He Man » Logged

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »

"as for the airbox idea. it helps for sure. but its still loud as make the beast with two backsing BAWLS."  laughingdp

Maybe TPO Beast R stacks/filter or Ducshop stacks/filter with insulation. Could be worse for noise though. At least they have velocity stacks that look like they help airflow and not just look fast.

Edit: Thinking about it, I found pods loudest, then the open airbox and quietest configuration was the enlarged airbox. This was because the filter was up higher under the tank, at the very top of where the stock airbox lid was located. The filter becomes the top of the airbox lid. It gives a deeper induction note, less brash, and it sounds better (it increases airbox volume and gives more power on the M900). The tank shrouds the noise, so to speak.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:49:27 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

Yea im not sure what im going to do with the noise. I'm not sure what it was, but i just dont remember it being this loud, and Ive ran open airbox and pod filters before.

I can hear the air box sucking in air, and i dont want to choke it out. Part of the issue is that the front of the airbox points out into the open (it points at the key) so theres not much i can do about covering that part.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »

"Thinking about it, I found pods loudest, then the open airbox and quietest configuration was the enlarged airbox. This was because the filter was up higher under the tank, at the very top of where the stock airbox lid was located. The filter becomes the top of the airbox lid. It gives a deeper induction note, less brash, and it sounds better (it increases airbox volume and gives more power on the M900). The tank shrouds the noise, so to speak".

I emailed you some photos of what Im describing above. Maybe it might give you some ideas.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:51:34 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

thanks for the read.

It's pretty common for chopper guys to name their bike and paint the tank with it.  If you ever decide to do that, my suggestion would be "Hard Knock Life."

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

I got my 8770 shock today. But damn it. this is how close it is to teh swing arm. Remember the shock can move a little bit when its mounted. This is shown as a wiggle. Nothing changed between pics.

That is fully compressed with the bumper taking some of the load. I could technically speaking, jack up the ride height about 2-3mm and this shock would work. But eh. i dont think im comfortable with that. So i posted it up for sale. on ducati.ms unless someone here is intrested in it for their 998 or non SSS monster. it has a 550lb spring on it.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »

Hows the bike going? Any luck with the airbox mods?

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: