Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 15, 2024, 05:57:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craftsman Complete Portable Powder Coating System  (Read 6942 times)
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

Link:  http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Complete-Portable-Powder-Coating/dp/B004YEAYCW

Has anyone try this or know a friend that had experience with this system?

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendation?

Thanks!

mods: please move if it's not in the right forum.

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:49:47 AM »

at 35 dollars, that looks like a no brainer - never used a powder coater, but i wouldn't hesitate to buy craftsman at full price, let alone at that discount...may have to pick it up and test it out!

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »

at 35 dollars, that looks like a no brainer - never used a powder coater, but i wouldn't hesitate to buy craftsman at full price, let alone at that discount...may have to pick it up and test it out!

I always go for craftsman tools...this system regular priced out at $100+

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

itll be fine for 90% of stuff. Great if you dont own a compressor.

just dont expect it to do fancy stuff. you need adjustable voltage to do multi layers, certain coatings, and to be able to get powder to stick on the inside of tight corners.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

I have one and like He Man said, you get what you pay for.  I've had good luck doing various "functional" parts, but haven't had to do anything where the finish work mattered yet so i can't really say how nice it looks.  This is the bracket I built to relocate my R/R, coil, wiring, etc under the seat done in satin black.  Aside from the obvious make the beast with two backs ups in the metal where I had to relocate the mounting studs, it came out pretty good and it's DEFINITELY tough as nails.  Food for thought.

Show more

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »

Oh, and I know that it even says it in the instructions and all (not to mention logic would dictate....) but DON'T touch the metal charging tip.  It will definitely zap the shit out of you  Grin

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

Oh, and I know that it even says it in the instructions and all (not to mention logic would dictate....) but DON'T touch the metal charging tip.  It will definitely zap the shit out of you  Grin
...some of us have to test that.  laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ManOrAstro-Man?

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »

How do you guys cure the coated product at 400 degrees afterward??
RBX QB
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »

How do you guys cure the coated product at 400 degrees afterward??

An oven?

I like that the shipping costs 2 cents more than the gun... ($18.97+18.99 shipping). But, still not expensive, so worth a try to do small parts.
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

Well one good thing about appliances not lasting as long as they used to is that when a toaster oven looses an otherwise superfluous knob, it gets re-purposed to the garage.  It was one of the big ones that can do frozen pizzas and such, so with the rack removed I can manage an ok sized part. 

...some of us have to test that.  laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

I've been hit worse, but not by much.  Definitely stings Smiley.

justin-branam

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »

Looks like a good product for the price, but I am wondering why they discountinued this item? Was there some flaw with them? Too many people bringing them back? I imagine that is why it is so cheap, and what happens if it breaks now? They don't even make a replacement model for it to exchange?
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

$35 would be worth it to me to play with a new toy.  Hell, the first thing I did with mine is coat the handle of the titanium spork I got my dad for Christmas Smiley.  It is kind of a cheapie.  Like someone else said, there are no voltage or feed adjustments, but it gets the job done. 

Preppyr6

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »

I bought this back in September and used it on the passenger pegs and sidestand on my R6. Using harbor freight matte black and a toaster oven, it came out flawlessly. Just make sure you really clean the parts beforehand (I didnt have a sandblaster so I used aircraft stripper, steel wool, and a steel brush followed by detergent). Finish for me was 9.5/10 with no visible imperfections on my first attempt.
RBX QB
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

I bought this back in September and used it on the passenger pegs and sidestand on my R6. Using harbor freight matte black and a toaster oven, it came out flawlessly. Just make sure you really clean the parts beforehand (I didnt have a sandblaster so I used aircraft stripper, steel wool, and a steel brush followed by detergent). Finish for me was 9.5/10 with no visible imperfections on my first attempt.

Yeah... I still need to pick up a toaster oven. What did you do to support the part in the oven?
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »

Unless you have the convenience of having a full sized oven or a custom built powder oven, you generally have to get creative with how you set the piece in the oven.  I Just did the headlight bucket and just taped the inner lip of the bucket (the part where the headlight ring interfaces with the bucket that doesn't need to be coated) and set it on a pan directly on the rack in the oven.  I let it cool all the way and when I pulled the bucket off the pan, the tape just stayed on the pan and left the clean, un-powdered part of the bucket looking pretty as ever.  Pics are on my work phone, so I'll have to pull them when I can actually find my work phone Smiley.  It looks professional. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: