Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 14, 2024, 05:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Way(s) to disassemble a Monster???  (Read 8989 times)
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Hi,

Are there specific ways of how to disassemble our Monsters?  Looking at this project to get fresh paint, clean up engine, and PC the frame and swingarms.

Thanks!  (i have searched but can't come up with anything relevant).

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
Raux
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »

One bolt at a time...

but seriously, start from the top down.

once you get to motor/frame/wheels/forks you'll need someway to hold the motor when you drop it out of the frame.

you can do the opposite and pick up a bike lift and build a small shelf to hold the motor and take the frame off the motor (do this after the front/rear suspension is out)

keep searching though,,, tons of photos on tech and accessories pages
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »

Camera, sharpie, masking tape and zip-locks. Do not count on your memory to be clear enough for when it comes to to reassemble.

A labeled masking tape flag on either side of an electrical connection makes life so much easier. labeled baggies of bolts also make it easier and less prone to lost bolts

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
uberranger

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »

Camera, sharpie, masking tape and zip-locks. Do not count on your memory to be clear enough for when it comes to to reassemble.

A labeled masking tape flag on either side of an electrical connection makes life so much easier. labeled baggies of bolts also make it easier and less prone to lost bolts

^^ THIS

I just reassembled an S2R from the frame-up and I have to say, no matter how easily you think you'll remember where things go...lol

I would suggest ziplock bags labeled with sharpie. also get some wire/string/etc to keep things like the swingarm spacers, wheel spacers, etc in the right order. This is apparently important.

And also, if it helps:  as you're taking the engine out, I might suggest going the route I did (which worked relatively well) and put a sawhorse under the rear end until you get the front off.  I was working in an apartment complex parking lot and didn't have access to the proper means of suspending the bike. 

The shop manual helps as well.  I found it to be pretty spot-on.  If it's an S2/4R, I may be able to answer questions that pop up for you.

Good luck!!
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »

Thanks for all the tips!

I have a 2000 M750.

Another follow up question is cleaning the engine after it is separated from the frame, how would someone/you approach this?

Raux
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »

I use S100 on the motor. spray. soak. rinse.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:27:03 AM »

How clean do you want to get it?

A hit with WD-40 or deep creep then a mild degreaser and rinse with elbow grease works quite well. A stuff nylon detailing brush will help break up crud - you will need to work at the worst stuff.

So it'll be a few stages to clean things - just be sure you check lables and use paint and plastic safe stuff.

S100 is good stuff in the right place - you need to rinse it off before it dries though. Otherwise i will leave a tough to get rid of white haze

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »

The bike is black now...and will still be black...probably with red frame.

Don't have to be super clean but I will give S100 and WD-40 a try.  Thanks!   waytogo

What are the obvious places/parts that will need to cover up before spraying anything (cleaning solutions or water) to the engine?

Thanks!

rsoffar

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »

+1
just got done putting my 900 back together and I was crazy surprised at how smooth it all went because everything was labeled and I had pictures to look at. I had to strip mine down and put it back together on the sidewalk outside of my apt here in bk, used an old palette to build a stand for my engine. Went tank, airbox, throttle bodies, front end, frame (I left my rear suspension connected to the engine didnt need to take all that off)

'00 M900s
Raux
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »

The bike is black now...and will still be black...probably with red frame.

Don't have to be super clean but I will give S100 and WD-40 a try.  Thanks!   waytogo

What are the obvious places/parts that will need to cover up before spraying anything (cleaning solutions or water) to the engine?

Thanks!
with the bike still together... i avoid the intake and exhaust.. that's it.

with it off... probably the same... you should seal up the ports anyway during disassembly. don't want a bolt dropping in your motor.
kyle

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »

+11ty to camera and sharpie!

Also, coloured cable ties are the go too!
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

One bolt at a time...

but seriously, start from the top down.

once you get to motor/frame/wheels/forks you'll need someway to hold the motor when you drop it out of the frame.

or you can do i the same  way they build it and thats from the motor up

its easier to hold the motor and remove the frame than the other way

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
motoxmann

'00 M750

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 04:53:39 AM »

I did a complete disassembly, engine rebuild, and reassembly of my 2000 M750 dark a couple months ago. Definitely label ziplock bags to put small parts and bolts in, ziptie spacers to their parts, and take pictures as you go especially of wiring routing and definitely throttle cable routing. I forgot to take pics of the throttle cables and it took me several hours to figure it out.

I bout 4 eye-bolts and drilled holes in the ceiling joyces in the basement (walk-out basement), and threaded the bolts in. Then used rope to string up the front and ratcheting tie-downs for the rear attached to the passenger handles of the frame.

Start with the upper stuff; seat, tank, airbox, carbs, electronics and wiring harness, then rear suspension, then engine, then forks.

I also PC'ed my frame red and ceramic coated exhaust black, and regreased every bearing on the entire bike upon reassembly. Took 2 full days to disassemble completely, and 6 days to reassemble, with several days in between for engine overhaul and getting the frame and exhaust coated.

Make sure you have a manual, its very important to torque everything properly
and once the exhaust and rear suspension was off, I used a standard car floorjack to remove the motor. got the jack under the motor, lifted it a hair, removed the two bolts holding it to the frame, had a buddy lift the frame up off the motor while I balanced and lowered the motor down with the jack, rolled it out from under, and let the frame go back to hanging.

And yes, there are specific spacers on both wheels and the swingarm pivot at the motor. Dont lose them, and keep them in their exact locations and direction
Also, the bolts for the peg brackets are different sizes, for a reason, make sure you dont mix up the locations of those either. I didnt notice this either upon disassembly, and had to take a bit of extra time to figure out which ones went where again. some are different diameters, some are different lengths

here's a few pics from mine:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:11:13 AM by motoxmann » Logged
pitbull

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »

or you could always do what I did and buy two of the same bike. That way when you dissasemble one you have the other to look at as a model when you rebuild it.............makes things really easy.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
DBEng

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »

A small tip is using a marker or tape to mark the position of adjustable things like the mirrors, levers, handlebars etc if you have previously spent time getting them exactly where you like them.

2010 M696+
Hyosung GT250 (gone)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: