Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 01:04:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from a long hiatus  (Read 1752 times)
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« on: March 13, 2023, 11:48:01 AM »

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to all you gearheads.  I'm just getting back on the forum after taking a hiatus for the last 5 years or so.  Unfortunately I haven't been riding much during that time due to many difficult life challenges and moves.  BUT, all those aside, I'm getting my old 796 back up in working order this year.  Starting off with the basics, ie oil change, timing belts, air filter, battery.  Also I'm adding in a sprocket change to a 14 tooth, a battery cable upgrade (to hopefully rid the 005 r.sw issue) and I need to paint the left side crankcase as something leaked on it and ate away some of the paint.  Lovely.  Anyhow, I will post some pics of her when I get some progress done.  Glad to be getting back on two wheels again soon! 

As a side note, anyone have recommendations for the crankcase paint?  Trying to decide on stock color, or do both in black or something. 

"Life's tough.  Its even tougher if your stupid!"

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-2009 Ducati Monster 696 Custom Mirrors, Renthal Bars, 6100 Miles
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »

Hi - I remember the name  waytogo

I have had my side covers painted 'black' actually a metallic black from a Renault. I like them better than stock. Maybe your battery has a leak dripping onto the left side...  Less expensive to sand it down and do a touch up job yourself? Ducpainter's paint thread is good advice.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:54:26 PM »

Hi - I remember the name  waytogo

I have had my side covers painted 'black' actually a metallic black from a Renault. I like them better than stock. Maybe your battery has a leak dripping onto the left side...  Less expensive to sand it down and do a touch up job yourself? Ducpainter's paint thread is good advice.

Yeah I'm probably going to pull them both and paint.  I'd considered black.  Today I polished the front header as it was looking a bit rough.  Now it's ready for a nice heat cycle when it's all done!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:03:42 PM by Anchorism » Logged

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 09:07:45 PM »

Welcome back!  I would go with black. 
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 12:13:21 PM »

Yes, welcome back. 

I second black.  This winter I was gonna pull the alternator and clutch case covers and have 'em powder coated black... and then.... I didn't.

Maybe next winter.  After I see how yours look  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »

Yes, welcome back. 

I second black.  This winter I was gonna pull the alternator and clutch case covers and have 'em powder coated black... and then.... I didn't.

Maybe next winter.  After I see how yours look  Grin
I'm more curious about what you're going to do about the custom panels. Evil

Not irreplaceable. Any mook can do it. Have you found him/her?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 02:33:10 AM »

I'm more curious about what you're going to do about the custom panels. Evil

Not irreplaceable. Any mook can do it. Have you found him/her?
I've decided to preserve my sacrilegious trashing of your work as is.  To teach me a lesson. 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 03:06:34 AM »

Welcome back chug

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 04:47:49 PM »

So I put the exhaust on last night, and the new battery cables came in today.  I got the positive cables installed so far.  Didn't get the time to install the new ground.  Figured I'd try to start it up, and it gave me the ol 005 r.sw error.   Angry  I'm hoping that the ground wire upgrade will fix it.  Next option would be the battery.  Although, I've been having this problem intermittently since 2014-ish. Mind you, it didn't happen often at all before so I didn't stress it much.  I hope the cables do the trick! 

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 04:55:57 PM »

Here's the exhaust prior to install, after the cleaning and polishing.

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: