Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:56:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Injection problem maybe?  (Read 4757 times)
Scusi

2005 Monster S2R 800 (yella)

« on: July 17, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »

Hey guys i ride a Yellow ^^ 2005 S2R800 Ducati with Low mileage. Arrow Exhaust full system

Lately I've been having a problem where ill be riding fine on any random day and outta nowhere my bike stops running like its outta gas. (I know i have gas in it/ just filled up) Throttle doesn't work. All the lights come on and electronics are fine. I'm usually going 30-50 mph when it happens. No shuttering or excess noise. Just sounds of it slowing down. When i go to start the bike again it will try to start but the engine wont turn over. (like its out of gas) I've tried fixing it before at a mechanics place and it was fine for close to a month then the problem resurfaced. But say if i leave it in my garage with the tank up (because i'm using a battery tender, btw i just got a new battery = maybe its a bad one?!?) after it charges i flip the tank down i can start it up just fine. I stopped taking it out on fear that it will power down when i'm turning. (worst possible situation type deal Tongue)

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sam
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »

When this happens, and you cycle the power do you hear the fuel pump prime (given the handle bar switch is in the 'run' state)?

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »

fuel filter?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »

Pinched vent hose?

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »

Pinched vent hose?

Like that one. Makes an extra bit of sense with the tank up/down too.

And it's unlikely that it's your battery. If the bike didn't crank, light up etc - then it might be. But it does those things just fine. I couldn't hurt to check on your electrical connections if you're poking around.

But a pinched vent would cause the bike to cut out from fuel starvation, and would allow the bike to start running again after some sitting time allows the vacuum in the tank to come back to normal ambient pressure....

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Scusi

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

Like that one. Makes an extra bit of sense with the tank up/down too.

And it's unlikely that it's your battery. If the bike didn't crank, light up etc - then it might be. But it does those things just fine. I couldn't hurt to check on your electrical connections if you're poking around.

But a pinched vent would cause the bike to cut out from fuel starvation, and would allow the bike to start running again after some sitting time allows the vacuum in the tank to come back to normal ambient pressure....

That sounds logical... is this something i could order and fix on my own? for would it be better to take to a technician. I know how to follow directions but i guess it the matter of me having the tools and space. To change that hose or realign it sounds like you have to take alot of the bike apart. How much you think it would cost?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »

$0 - Do it yourself.

The hoses run out from the bottom of the tank. There's a couple of vent hoses. Where they go depends a bit on if you've removed the emissions canister. But of the hoses from the tank, they are the smaller diamater, more flexible ones. Just lift the tank and find them. Once found, trace them and ensure the aren't kinked or pinched. When you lower the tank, keep and eye on them to ensure that they don't kink or pinch when you lower the tank back.

When you lift the tank, a couple inches of hose will move as well. It's far from unheard of that when a tank is raised and one is messing about that those hoses get pushed to a spot where they fold over on themselves or get pinched otherwise. They are quite flexible and will pinch rather than push through like a fuel hose might.

You don't need to take it to a shop or replace anything if it's just a pinched off vent hose

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

If it is a vent hose it's likely a freebie.  Go for a ride and if/when it quits open the gas filler.  If the problem is the vent you'll hear air get sucked into the tank.  All you'd need to do is re-route the vent lines under the tank so they don't kink when the tank is down.  

When this happens, and you cycle the power do you hear the fuel pump prime (given the handle bar switch is in the 'run' state)?

If you don't hear the fuel pump run when you cycle the key it's not the vent but electrical.  Check the connections

Edit:

Beat me to it   Grin

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

If you don't hear the fuel pump run when you cycle the key it's not the vent but electrical.  Check the connections

Just make sure your kill switch is set to run, and the side stand is up. The pump won't prime if the system doesn't 'think' the bike is safe to start/run

Over the weekend my side stand safety interlock was playing up and treating the stand as always down - that's why I make note of the stand.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Scusi

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »

Sorry to reply soo late but it happend to me again!!! My engine cut out while i was riding. i tried to lift seat and watch hose as it went down and It worked for like 5 minutes then it cut out on me again, then would not start up again at all...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the input

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »

In some places there are wee beasties that make nests in hoses.  If it were mine, I would "crush" the hose to check for internal additions from strange insects.

NFJ79

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »

My 05 S2R800 had the same problems.  My bike would run fine and then it would intermittently die and not start.  I thought it was a bad fuel pump. I could not hear it prime when i turn the key "on".  So I took out the fuel pump assembly and tested the fuel pump on a 12v battery.  Pump works just fine.  The problem was faulty wiring in the fuel pump assembly.  You cant just buy the wiring harness from Ducati.  You have to buy a whole new fuel pump assembly which cost about $1000.  When i get home I'll post up pictures on how i fixed my wiring harness.

2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark
Scusi

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »

My 05 S2R800 had the same problems.  My bike would run fine and then it would intermittently die and not start.  I thought it was a bad fuel pump. I could not hear it prime when i turn the key "on".  So I took out the fuel pump assembly and tested the fuel pump on a 12v battery.  Pump works just fine.  The problem was faulty wiring in the fuel pump assembly.  You cant just buy the wiring harness from Ducati.  You have to buy a whole new fuel pump assembly which cost about $1000.  When i get home I'll post up pictures on how i fixed my wiring harness.

oh god.....  bang head Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: