Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake reservoir leak  (Read 1710 times)
RedEvo

« on: September 04, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »

I have a 2012 monster 1100 evo with under 3000 miles on it. I went on a long ride and noticed on the way home there was a small leak coming from the brake reservoir. Unfortunately a few drops slung onto the tank. I now have 4-5 slight imperfections in the paint caused by the fluid. I had the break in service completed at the dealership and its bone stock except for mirrors. I know the leak will be fixed under warranty but what about the paint? Any chance of it getting replaced under warranty due to the leak causing the problem? I thought I would ask here before going to the dealership for opinions. It's not terribly bad but it's still fairly new I am sick to my stomach.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

If the dealer can't buff it out I would demand a new tank cover. Bugger it, just demand a new tank cover, it will probably be easier for tne dealer to do anyway.

2015 Scrambler 800
RedEvo

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »

No luck at the dealership. They told me that it is common for the fluid to leak from the ventilation holes at the lid. I have talked to a few people that suggests putting a sleave over the reservoir to absorb the drips.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:29 AM »

No luck at the dealership. They told me that it is common for the fluid to leak from the ventilation holes at the lid. I have talked to a few people that suggests putting a sleave over the reservoir to absorb the drips.
I call BS.

The vent hole is only to allow for the expansion of the bellows as the pads wear and the fluid level drops in the reservoir.

No fluid should ever leak from the reservoir as the bellows is a seal with no hole and all the fluid is below the seal.

Call Ducati North America and complain.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Anthony81586

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

I call BS.

The vent hole is only to allow for the expansion of the bellows as the pads wear and the fluid level drops in the reservoir.

No fluid should ever leak from the reservoir as the bellows is a seal with no hole and all the fluid is below the seal.

This man knows his stuff. You should definitely be covered.

2003 Ducati Monster 620
RedEvo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they say.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they say.
I'm thinking the tech that did your service is to blame for this.

He probably topped up the fluid, and either overfilled the reservoir or simply didn't clean the area around the cap after topping up.

I also think the reason the dealer didn't want to put a claim in is that Ducati would deny it and they'd get stuck for the parts cost.

It is still a good idea to call DNA.

It would probably be a good idea to look for a new dealer also.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

If the cap leaked due to a defect it is warranty.  Otherwise it is dealer responsibility.  My guess is either the dealer is too lazy to submit the claim or won't submit the claim because the dealer knows it will bounce since there is no defect.  Document the damage and get a couple of second opinions on the reservoir cap, then contact DNA.

I call BS.

Yup.  Brake hydraulics 101.
RedEvo

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

I am going to try and get my bike to the dealership that I purchased and had the bike serviced this weekend. I went to a closer dealership today because the other one is about an 1.5 hours further. I will call DNA directly if I get nowhere with my dealer.

I appreciate everyone's help and will post any updates for future reference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: