Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 15, 2024, 05:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starter motor burned out, what else?  (Read 2149 times)
JoeP

« on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

I rode for an hour with the starter button stuck in the "on" position. Didn't notice! Now the bike won't start and I'm sure the starter motor isn't working. The solenoid and wiring are ok, but when I put 12 v to the motor, nothing happens. I ordered a new motor today, but before I open up the crank case, is there anything else that may have been damaged by leaving the starter button pressed?
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

WOW!   How'd you do that?  The only thing I can think of in addition to the starter motor is maybe the starter hit some teeth on the flywheel?  But I'm fairly certain you'd notice the starter interfering with the flywheel. It wouldn't be a subtle clunk. I would give the wiring a good look over just to make sure nothing got hot enough to melt.  I hope it is just a starter motor.  I remember seeing a cheaper than the dealer option is the inexpensive parts thread.  Good luck.

WTSDS

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:56 AM »

You will have to take off the alternator cover to remove the starter.

There may be very little damage apart from burning out the starter brushes, it's not like the motor was spinning the starter for an hour at warp speed..

Once the motor is spinning above cranking speed the starter pinion retracts.

I'd take a look at the battery as it may have been overheated from running the starter.

Once the alt cover is off  you will be able to see if there's been any damage to the flywheel ring gear teeth.

2000 Monster Dark 900 ie   Stock except for low Staintunes and a centrestand. 15:39 sprockets make for excellent highway gearing
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:52:20 AM »

Agreed except for one thing.  Over run is taken care of by the sprag, the pinion does not retract like in a car.

I assume the starter was tested with a known good battery.  As long as those motors are running no load they are pretty tough.  Put a load on them (like turning over an engine) they get hot.
JoeP

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »

Cool. I'll pull the cover when the new starter arrives and check for gear damage. Thanks!
mickyvee

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »

boo Many years ago, a faulty solenoid caused the starter motor to engage, whilst I was doing about 60mph, on my Jota. The starter motor was removed and examined. Thoroughly buggered and in a million bits just about summed it up. A new solid state Bosch solenoid, and a new and very expensive starter motor, got me going again.
Howley

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »

Check out stockers for a cheap genuine Denso replacement.
ducatigirl100
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »

http://www.stockers.com/index.php?br=Denso+Repair+Parts waytogo
Howley

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

You're best to contact them before you shell out for a rebuild kit. A lot of those kits fit their aftermarket starter but not the Denso.
damnitdave

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:51 AM »

I agree with "howie". These starters seem pretty tough. But I'd say it's either something simple, like brushes (which can be done with the starter on the bike, well, my bike anyway) or something pretty serious. I can be a frustrating job, but before you pull the flywheel cover, you may want to pull the end cap of the starter first to check the brushes. If they're worn down, you can replace them, but note: It can be pretty difficult getting the brush holder assembly and cap back on with the starter still on the bike. I probably wouldn't do this unless you've had starters and or electric motors apart before. If you feel like tackling it, send me a msg and I'll give you some tips that helped me with mine.

I doubt there's any damage to the flywheel, or you'd have heard it.

The stockers link is good stuff. Easy online page, fast shipping, fair prices.

My $.02. Good luck.

-DD
JoeP

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »

I opened up the old motor and it was completely fried. Ash and broken wires everywhere. Good thing is that the new motor arrived today (thanks to everyone!) and I can't wait to get my bike running again. But before I install it and put everything back together, is there a way to bench test the new motor to see if it's working? I was going to use jumper cables to connect it to a battery. Where do I connect the leads and in what order? I see where to connect the (+) lead, but where's the ground? 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

You need to mount the the starter securely or get a buddy to hold it.  Positive to the lug where the positive cable would go, negative to the starter case.  Connect negative lest at the starter case.  The connection, if made at the battery last, will cause a spark that could cause the battery to explode.  This is not a very conclusive test since there is no load on the starter.
JoeP

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »

Installed the new motor and the bike is up and running. The procedure was a lot easier than I thought. Thanks for all your collective help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: