Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: build emergency tool kit  (Read 39430 times)
ducati culture

My freedom is worth my life and my soul..........

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:42 AM »

Lets not forget zip ties....  Save my azz many times!  Dolph

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »

Heavier duty than can be contained under a monsters seat - but a good thread on ADV Rider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
militar3rd
Ce Sharp

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »

Gotta have zipties.

When I was young, I used it a lot.  Grin

2006 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Track&Commute)
2001 Monster M900 Si.e. (Current)
1998 Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 (Sold)
1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 [101,000+ miles] (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 [220,000+ km] @ Philippines (Donated to degenerate cousin)
cmejia1978

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 06:37:05 AM »

my humble contribution: FUSES!!! yes, those little stupid-fragile-plastic-transparent-good-for-nothing ( or so I thought until I had to tow my bike home for not carrying 2x 20 of those...)  bang head 5,7.5,10,15,20,30 at least I am carrying now 3x of each
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »

my humble contribution: FUSES!!! yes, those little stupid-fragile-plastic-transparent-good-for-nothing ( or so I thought until I had to tow my bike home for not carrying 2x 20 of those...)  bang head 5,7.5,10,15,20,30 at least I am carrying now 3x of each

A big +1 on an extra fuses.  I ended up with a short on the ignition circuit when the wiring harness melted against the motor, and while it did not get me home, and extra 30amp fuse got me off of the interstate.

stonemaster
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »

wrap some gorilla tape around one of your wrenches, that stuff is WAY stronger than duct tape
oldndumb

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »

Some good info. Myself, I keep it simple.

And

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Some good info. Myself, I keep it simple.

I cancelled my AMA roadside after getting stuck in Manhattan and waited 4 hours only to be called back and told tough luck.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:09:17 PM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
oldndumb

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »

I cancelled my AMA roadside after getting stuck in Manhattan and waited 4 hours only to be called back and told tough luck.

Not what I would have expected. I have never used it but have friends who have and they were satisfied. Did they offer any explanation when they called you back? Also wondering if you spoke with them when cancelling and if they had an explanation for the no service? Further wondering if location had anything to do with it, and if so, thinking they should declare that in their agreement.

I've depended on calling them for tows, rather than my insurance company based on some horror stories I've heard about some tow operators and having seen some as they come into my shop. Now you've got me worried.

The previous advice re tool kits can address minor problems but not of much use when parts or diagnostics are needed.

Edit: Scratch the location question.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:28:41 AM by oldndumb » Logged
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »

They told me they could not find a company that would do the tow for a bike!  It was very frustrating.  When I called to cancel, they were very apologetic but spent 20 minutes trying to keep me from cancelling and demanding a refund.  It was very annoying.

I have had AAA since then and they actually >own their own tow trucks< and the one time I called for a tow on my bike, a AAA branded flatbed showed up and saddled the bike right up.

AMA relies on local companies to do it -- AAA has both their own truck and uses local companies.  Had I had AAA at that time, they have plenty of trucks in Manhattan...  AMA?  Not one.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
JoeP

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »

Good thread! I don't think a 16g CO2 inflator will do a motorcycle tire. I have trouble enough getting them to inflate a mountain bike tire. I'd carry a manual pump just in case you need more air, or in case of user error when the CO2 winds up in the air instead of in the tire. I know this can happen.
danaid

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

A roll of electrical tape saved my ass recently when my clutch reservoir lid and hose sprung a leak. i'll be adding the tape to the zip ties and assorted hex wrenches that have saved me on the road.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
monster 795

My Ducati Monster 795 cafe racer

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »

Lots of good info! Thanks!
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »

Example of the  “emergency repair”

(Broken brake / clutch levers, brake / shift pedals are pretty common. That’s why a lot of guys (including myself) carry Vise Grip pliers.)

Motul Hand cleaner (My favorite. Especially handy when water is not available.)

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »

Oh COME ON.  his hands weren't dirty at all.  He could have wiped them on his jeans and be done with it.

When I am working on something, I get crazy grease and black BLACK stuff on my hands that GoJo and pumice won't take off. Let's see them do this demo with someone with actual dirty hands...

Motul Hand cleaner (My favorite. Especially handy when water is not available.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: