Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:55:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: build emergency tool kit  (Read 39431 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: June 17, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »

Introduction
So, have you ever checked what kind of tools are stored under the seat ?
Don't know about other models, but this is what Ducati provided with S4R (2005).

What do you think ?
Totally useless. The cheapo screwdriver (interchangeable) and helmet lock wire, and spark plug wrench.
This is not a Kawasaki 500SS mach III from 1969. Who in the hell need to replace the spark plug on the roadside today? (Anyone who's riding fuel injected Monster shouldn't have to worry about roadside spark plug change, providing that they are periodically checked / replaced. Even people who're running modified intake / exhaust system on carbed Monster should be OK, unless the bike is running insanely rich so it fouls up spark plugs so quickly you can't leave home without spare plugs. )

Anyhow, I thought it would be useful (especially to noobs ) to show / list useful item(s) for roadside repair.

Oh, and those who believe cell phone and credit / debit card will take care of everything, keep in mind that there are still plenty of area that you don't get signal.
Also, if you find some bolts / nuts getting loose while you are on the road, you will not be able to tighten them with cell phone and credit card, so they will fall off.

Basic Philosophy

Carry everything I need and nothing I don't

What it means ? Don't carry redundant tools. The purpose of emergency toolkit is to get you to nearest civilization, or gas station, or motorcycle shop, or your home, NOT to do extensive work on the roadside. For example, you don't (shouldn't have to) replace spark plugs on the roadside (already said this). You also don't change oil, brake pads, chain & sprocket on the roadside. There's no need to carry bunch of regular tools for that kind of work.

That said, DO use what you carry when you are at home, so that you know the tools you carry work (or, don't work). And you know you have what you need.

And, carry good quality tools. It doesn't mean you have to buy Mac or Snap-on, use common sense, don't relay on a no name toolset that are on sale at walmart. Rounding off the bolt / nut on the roadside is not fun at all.

Your circumstances

Where do you ride? How far from the nearest town, commonly traveled road, gas station, etc? How far can you push your bike (if absolutely necessary) ?
Do you ride alone most of the time ? I'll start with bare-minimum, solo rider's kit (can be packed under the seat). If you are going for multi-day trip with friend(s), some adjustment may be necessary.

What I carry (Under the stock seat )

#1 Tire tools
AKA tire plug kit. The reason is simple. No matter how well maintained your vehicle is, you cannot eliminate the possibility of flat tire. (and both 2 & 4 wheels, I've had enough flat tires).
Any tubeless tire repair kit will work, but this is what I carry. "the stop & go pocket tire plugger".

Leatherman Wave and mini compressor are not included.
I did review of this kit just recently.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=57744.0

For inflating tire, I carry this one.

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/microflate-nano.html

One of the smallest out there, and it will let you control the air flow.

And pencil type air gauge. I almost always carry a digital one in the pocket or in my tail bag, though.

#2 Basic tools

Here's what I carry (inside of nice little pouch with Ducati logo, that used to contain useless tool kit).

From left to right
Allen keys with ball point ; 4, 5, 6 mm
1/4" drive socket 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 mm (stored on zip-ties)
1/4" drive breaker bar (sears call it flex t-handle)
1/4" drive 3" extension bar
#2 Philips bit on magnetic bit holder
Gearwrench MicroDriver
Gearwrench 10 mm stubby ratchet
Craftsman 6-point 10 mm combination wrench
Swisstech micro-tech 6-in-1
Vise-grip plier

Yes, you can fit that much inside of tiny red pouch and under the seat!
Here's how ;

1) roll up small piece of rag, with air gauge inside

2)it goes like this, with blue paper towel ...

3)Tire plug kit goes in like this ...

4)a couple of packs of finger wipes (free from Chevron gas station) in zip lock

5)CO2 cartridge and microflate-nano... ,everything fits nicely.

The example of how this tool set up can be used

eliminate the need to carry screwdriver ...

example of how the socket, extension, MicroDriver are used ...

The basic rule (of minimizing the weight / bulk of the tools you carry) is,
1) use socket whenever possible.
2) use wrenches for where you can't get socket on.

to be continued ...
Nottsbiker

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »

Good write up so far  waytogo

I've got the same puncture repair kit under the seat on my Tuono - bought it as it looked like a decent piece of kit for the money  chug

Ducati Monster 900 (project) Aprilia Tuono 1000
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:12:03 AM »

Very nice

The SBK tool kit has a bunch more ducati-specific items.

I've never seen the CO2 tire inflator, that's awesome.

I would pack several pairs of nitrile gloves too.  They can be compressed very small and offer a huge amount of protection.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
K3V1N

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »

I added these to my tool kit a couple months ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7XGUU

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »

I would pack several pairs of nitrile gloves too.  They can be compressed very small and offer a huge amount of protection.
Good suggestion. I always pack a couple of pairs in my pocket of Aerostich roadcrafter (or whatever the jacket I wear). But it is a good idea to keep them with tools under the seat.

So, continued from the last post, I'll list a couple more items that I carry.

#3 My EDC stuff (not kept on the bike, but in the pocket, tank bag or tail bag, etc )

Nitrile gloves
As mentioned above, I always carry them. (Not a full box. Just a couple of pairs.) They are light weight, don't take up much space, and very useful. You can store small things such as driver bits, 1/4" drive socket inside. You'll be glad that you carry them when you are going to wear ear plugs after some "roadside work". I get mine from local NAPA store (RAVEN brand).

Petzle zipka

Forget about flashlight. You need a head lamp.
When you are actually working on a vehicle in the dark, you want BOTH OF YOUR HANDS !
Try working on a motorcycle with flashlight in one hand and a tool in another if you are not convinced.
This is what I carry. Small, light weigh, bright, and it can be mounted not only on your head, but also ...

on the wrist,

on the motorcycle,

Here's the spec. (AA battery in the photo is for size reference. It runs on three AAA batteries (included). I got mine from REI.)
http://www.petzl.com/en/node/16783

Leatherman Wave

Let me clarify this first. I am not a fan of multi-tools. So, I don't carry / recommend things like these.

They are bulky, awkward to use, it's just too much of a "world of compromise," to me.
Carefully chosen dedicated tools are way more useful and don't take up that much space.
That said, Leatherman Wave tend to go with me pretty much everywhere I go.
Petzle head lamp and Leatherman are more like my EDC stuff, not really motorcycle specific (but can be pretty useful for motorcycling, too).
The reason I choose Wave is,

1) handle design
Compare to older leatherman side clip. Which handle looks more comfortable ?

2)Locking system
The tools are locked when opened. Something I personally care when picking up a folding knife or multi tool.

In my opinion, these items are better kept somewhere you can reach quickly.

Ok, so these are very basic, bare minimum kit for solo riders.
I was  going to write how they are used in real situation, but I'm so tired today, so I'll write about it in the next post.

To be continued ...
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »

I'd ditch a couple of the 10mm spanners in favour of a small adjustable one, and add some sidecutters, needlenose pliers, 14ga wire, fuses and insulation tape.

Good toolkit. I really like the tyre plug.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
BerettaMato

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

Were is the Duct tape man.  Grin

Beretta Giarratano
Boulder, Colorado

2002 Ducati 620 Monster (Currant)
2001 Honda 1800 VTX 400 miles ridden (Hated it) Sold
2002 Honda VTR1000 20,000 miles ridden (Loved it) Sold
1988 Honda NT650 62,000 miles ridden (Soul Mate) Sold Sad
1987 Yamaha YSR50 500 miles ridden (FUN) Sold
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

I've been thinking to try this. Then I can carry a roll of duct tape in the pocket (literally).

I'd ditch a couple of the 10mm spanners in favour of a small adjustable one, and add some sidecutters, needlenose pliers, 14ga wire, fuses and insulation tape.

I'm going to explain why I need two 10 mm open end wrenches, later. Thanks for suggestion.

I really like the tyre plug.
Yes, this tire plug kit is nice.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:12 AM »

Here is the SBK tool kit if anyone is curious.  It has a lot more useful items

Left to right:

2-pocket bag, shock adjuster, screwdriver handle, head nut wrench, cheater bar for shock adjuster and head nut, oil plug and spark plug tool, dual end screwdriver, pry bar for oil/spark plug and axle tools, hex wrenches, axle tool.

I think the axle tool is a must as is the dual spark/oil plug tool.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Jimmy6tring

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

Nice write up! All helpful suggestions! Cheers chug
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

Nice write up. I'm packing for a solo 2day ride and I'm inspired.  I placed an order for the tire plug kit. Thus insuring I'll get a flat before it arrives.  And now I'm off to cobble together the rest of the supplies to build this kit.

ps. One C02 canister enough to fill a tire?

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:58:24 AM »

ps. One C02 canister enough to fill a tire?

Yes. You can fit one more under the seat (there's enough space / the cartridge is small enough ) if you want.
When you use it, simply thread the cartridge onto the inflator, tighten all the way in. Then, turn counterclockwise just a little to release the gas. Turn it clockwise, it'll stop. You won't wast the whole cartridge in just one use. (useful when you know you have leak somewhere but can't really find where, etc.) I don't think it'll hold the gas for next six months that way, but it will during the trip.
(the manufacture's web site says "bicycle tire", but this is exactly the same stuff as MSR sells. Don't worry.)
Nottsbiker

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:45 AM »

Saw a KTM the other day at my mates place (work) and it had a load of zip-ties, zip tied to the fork. Whilst not pretty it was a clever way of carrying them around which could be transposed to a less conspicuous aree like under the seat etc.

Ducati Monster 900 (project) Aprilia Tuono 1000
theprocess

'09 M696

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »

Great tool kit. The kit included in the pouch is pretty low quality, obviously not intended for regular wrenching if ever used at all. Definitely in need of an upgrade for long road trips. May have to steal some of your ideas for my build.

A lot less room under the seat of a M696 though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:14:18 PM by theprocess » Logged
Raux
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

A lot less room under the seat of a M696 though.
actually there's a lot more room than you think. the seat sweeps up to make room for the exhaust valve motor that isn't there.
I've put a lot under the seat
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: