Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 04:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Brismos  (Read 7317 times)
ducmeister

« on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »

Hi all,

Well, the big boss called us all together yesterday and told us that the wonderful place in Melbourne where I've worked for the last 26 years is no longer cost effective in the grand scheme of things so as of August the doors will shut.  Cry All the work will be moved to (you guessed it) Brisbane and there's a job for me up there if I want it. Huh?

So the question is:  Where is a good place to live within around 45 minutes of the airport where I could pick up a nice acre or so with a bit of bush around and a reasonable house with a good shed and a guest room or 2 for all the mob who'd want to come and visit?  No I don't have a million dollars to spend but I'm not broke either.  The area must have access to good riding country and no bogans (except me). Grin

I googled Mt Glorious and there's some nice places up that way.  How long would it take to get to the airport from there?

As usual all opinions are gratefully accepted.

Cheers,
Rob.

'02 M900ie, DP CF mufflers, DP mirrors, CF side covers, beer tray, belt covers, and sprocket cover, K&N filter, clear indicators, Speedymoto 5 spoke clutch cover, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
JamesM

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »

Hello!

I use to live on the southside of Brisbane (logan) and found out there are many bogans down there not so safe.

I now live on the northside people are much nicer and carefree.

The area I would suggest is
Northside: Hendra, Ascot - close to the city + airport. (more upper market)
East: Indooroopilly
Or any suburbs around the city Smiley

heatherp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »

Oh good, another OzMo for me to visit in Queensland next time I'm up that way.  (sorry you have to move again though  bang head) The weather will still be wet but at least it will be warmer  cheeky

I'm sure MonsterDorf and Loony will be able to help you out with info.
lukevo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:24 AM »

Have a look at Samford Valley if your after a few acres, 45mins from CBD/airport and minimal Bogan presence , also not far west from there is the good run up the mountains, I'm moving back to Brisvegas myself in June from Sydney so will have to catch up with you and all the other Brisbane based Ozmo's for some rides waytogo waytogo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:29:46 AM by lukevo » Logged

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Now:
M1100evo
Gone:
BMW f 800r
Yamaha SR500
techno

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:29 AM »

Hi all,

Well, the big boss called us all together yesterday and told us that the wonderful place in Melbourne where I've worked for the last 26 years is no longer cost effective in the grand scheme of things so as of August the doors will shut.  Cry All the work will be moved to (you guessed it) Brisbane and there's a job for me up there if I want it. Huh?

I'm guessing you work in aircraft maintenance for a particular Australian company starting with Q?

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
AussieBulldog

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »

That's shitty news in regards to the job Rob.
All the best with the move, that will be twice in less than 12 Months.
Hopefully we can fit a couple more brisk winter rides in before you go
J.
NFG
Newb

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »

Samford's got nothing in the way of public transport, if that matters.

I'm out towards Ipswich in Goodna, which is more or less at the junction of three major highways and has a train station.  It's 30 mins flat to the airport via freeway, and the socio-economic average is rising steadily (it'll also be one of, or the first suburb to get fiber if the plans hold true).  Anywhere around here is cheap, I've got a massive yard and a decent house and 90 seconds from the shops if I catch all the lights.

There's also Springfield, a new suburb with a big mall and trains starting next year, close to two of the aforementioned highways, but the prices are a little higher.  Still, probably everything's cheaper here than Melbourne.  =)
ducmeister

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

To the rest of you the move is not confirmed yet so don't get too excited.  The other option is to take 26yrs worth of payout, Shocked find another job, Roll Eyes and buy myself a new Duc with what's left over.  I'd just like to make a decent informed decision whichever way we go. 

The Samford Valley area looks nice.  We checked out some houses around the area on the net and saw some potential.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  Anything further would be great.  It's also good to know that wherever we go we will have Ozmos there who will be keen to get out for a ride. Dolph

Cheers

'02 M900ie, DP CF mufflers, DP mirrors, CF side covers, beer tray, belt covers, and sprocket cover, K&N filter, clear indicators, Speedymoto 5 spoke clutch cover, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
Rowdy

S4R

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 01:20:33 AM »

I live in Moggill and am about 40mins from the airport. My pick would be to check out Anstead, Mount Crosby, Karalee area (listed in descending order of average cost per acre).

Traffic is a bit hit and miss along Moggill Rd so work hours make a bit of a difference.

Getting to the airport from the north (Narangba, Kalangur etc) is a REAL pain during peak hour.

You greatly underestimate the amount of overconfidence I have.
ducmeister

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »

Yep, checked out some of these areas too.  Sounds like we are on the right track.

Thanks.

techno

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »

Thanks. Now that I have it in writing its going in my sig so everyone else knows the truth.  Grin

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
MonsterDorf

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »

Nothing nice "near" the airport but the Samford valley area would be my choice.

Just like Sydney prices are proportional to the distance to the city. Closer more $$.

We have a couple of acres out near Gatton but, in my opinion. that's too far to commute to the airport (been there done that).

Traffic from the Goodna/Ipswich area has improved with the completion of the road works but again, in my opinion, that'll change as more people take to the roads.

I'd suggest a "house hunting trip" to get the lay of the land before committing to anything.

ducmeister

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »

They could potentially send us up there twice to check stuff out according to the info we've been given.  Looks like we might even go exploring up there some time this week.

ducmeister

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:57:29 AM »

Hey all,

Just wondering how the Qld rego system works.  If I need to transfer rego from Vic to Qld do I need to get a roadworthy type check? 
Will I need to get original pipes?  What about the open clutch cover?
Is there a classic or historical rego system for the old wing?

Cheers.

Rowdy

S4R

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »

You may need to put the gear back on for a RWC. Talk to the Scott or Tim at Speedys once you're up here. They do RWCs and are easy to get along with.

Dunno about classic rego. There is a historic type of thing but the conditions may be difficult. State Gov love their fees and taxes...

You greatly underestimate the amount of overconfidence I have.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: