Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddlemen Track Seat: First Impressions. Now with PICS! High-Bandwith!  (Read 7931 times)
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« on: May 03, 2012, 05:47:21 AM »

It seems as if nobody has this seat yet, at least on this forum... I really liked the styling of them, and had watched some impressive videos of Saddlemen's construction process, so I figured I would give it a shot. There was formerly only one crappy photo on the web of the actual MONSTER (pre-696 era) seat on the web... Not so much anymore  waytogo

If you right-click (or ctrl-click for you old school mac guys  waytogo) and select "view image", it will show you a slightly larger version also.

ON BIKE PICS ADDED MAY 18, 2012

Initial impressions upon unpacking the seat are EXTREMELY GOOD. The construction of the seat is much more impressive than I was even expecting.

The cover/upholstery materials used look top notch. The seating area itself is covered with a "carbon-look" vinyl that offers good mobility on the seat, but isn't too slick. The main seating area seems to be constructed mainly of of a gel-type cushioning that rather than compressing under the load of my ass seems to just redistribute. It's very supportive, but not too firm, and has essentially NO pressure points (much unlike my stock seat). The "gel channel" technology (also referred to as "taint-saver" technology) is... wonderful. The channel is MUCH deeper than it appears in this lousy internet photo. It's roughly 3/4" (2, maybe 2.5cm) deep. When sitting on the seat on my bike, the inexplicably sensitive no-mans-land between my balls and asshole isn't even TOUCHING anything. The benefits are obvious. Reducing pressure on this region increases blood flow to a lot of your sensitive bits, and could have long term health benefits (read: improved boner health). Also... it BREATHES. Going to be way easier to fart on the bike now. Should also help prevent swamp ass. The seat also has a slight bucketing right before the pillion section that your ass fits snugly into. You can actually tell you're in the seat!

The pillion section doesn't feel much different from stock as far as cushioning goes, but that wasn't something I was looking for. This section of the seat is covered in a standard "leatherette"  type vinyl. It looks very nice in comparison to the smooth, textureless vinyl of the stock seat.

The seat pan itself appears to be a vacuum molded plastic that has a little bit of flex to it, but not in a bad way. It has a nice glossy black look to it, and there is even a provision for small storage as on the stock seat. It comes with a flat, hand-cut plastic lid that requires use of your hardware from the stock seat. The lid isn't the nicest thing, but it actually works great. It has two tabs and the bolt hole just like stock, but is a little more flexible. I found it puts a little bit of tension on any items you may store in there, so they will likely rattle less. I have stored in mine a Stockton Tools multi-tool (sockets, wrenches, etc.), a red shop rag, and a small bundle of about 15 zip ties.

There are also provisions for the seat cowl hardware (you would need to use the screws from your stock seat). I however was NOT able to easily put my seat cowl on. This does not mean it won't fit though. The seat is slightly thicker. The solution is to just slot the holes on the seat cowl brackets a little bit more and create maybe 1/16th to 1/8th more clearance. It definitely will fit with that adjustment.  However, i REALLY love the look of this seat without my cowl, and am planning on leaving it off, at least for a good while.

Regarding fitment on the bike: The fit is a little tight. I'm sure it will break in a little bit, but currently I really have to make sure I line the rear pin up, and then give it a good hard push to get it to lock in place. The front "hooks" that hold the front of the seat down could likely be a little sturdier, as the front corners of the seat when mounted can be flexed upward a good bit by hand. This is probably the only area of ever-so-slight disappointment for me on the seat. It doesn't line up QUITE as perfectly as the stock seat with the tank cutouts, but it's VERY damn close. Close enough for me to not care. The seat definitely isn't going to fall off or anything, but I imagine that it could be PULLED off with some serious effort from some asshole you pissed off earlier in the day. Essentially, the hooks at the front would probably be easier to break (or bend to the point of release) than the stock seat. I'll reiterate though, the seat isn't going ANYWHERE from normal use. There is absolutely NO freeplay in the seat base either. Doesn't move a millimeter.

Also, this seat doesn't feel any higher than stock... If it is, maybe like an 1/8th of an inch max.

So let's do some ratings:

General Build Quality: 9/10
Upholstery Materials: 10/10
Upholstery Application: 10/10
Comfort Engineering: 10/10 — Actual comfort level will be rated at the end of a nice long trip I have coming up, but for now, the logic behind the seating design is very sound IMO.
Seat Pan Construction: 8/10 — It looks great, but could be made of a slightly stiffer or sturdy polymer/composite
Fitment: 7.5/10 — The seat fits snug, but requires a little more effort to latch than the stock seat. Slightly-less-than-perfect fitment in tank cutouts. Fitting seat cowl may require SLIGHT modification of cowl brackets (slotting holes a little further). NO freeplay or movement in seat base when on bike.

I'll have to rate durability at another time.
Really only some extensive riding will tell how good this seat is, but initial impressions are positive and I think it's going to be very comfortable.

PICS TO COME!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:39:07 AM by corey » Logged

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »

popcorn

Thank you for an interesting read!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
NAKID

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »

Nice. As far as the seat cowl fitment, I wouldn't worry about it. I have the DP Gel Seat on mine and the cowl was a bit of a pain to get on...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
tom_sd

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »

First, thanks for the write up, looking forward to pics.

Second, I'm happy that your taint is breathing better.

Third, why did you pick the track over the other two options (sport or tech)?
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:31 AM »

First, thanks for the write up, looking forward to pics.

Second, I'm happy that your taint is breathing better.

Third, why did you pick the track over the other two options (sport or tech)?

I did look at the other two "models" closely. I personally HATE micro-suede upholstery, and can't fathom it fairing to well on a motorcycle or under my ass, or allowing the mobility that i prefer from my seat... so the SPORT seat was a definite no. The TECH seat seemed interesting, especially with it's memory foam business going on, but it didn't have the "taint-saver" channel down the center, which was what really appealed to me about these seats in the first place. So the logical choice seemed to be the TRACK seat. I think the name of these seats is misleading, as many people associate TRACK parts with EXTREME DISCOMFORT. They should probably consider a new name in my opinion, like SUPER SPORT or something.

Another good reason was because of availability and pricing – it seems that some places actually STOCK the track seat, so the pricing was a bit better and it shipped quick.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »

Corey, the seat looks awesome, and I enjoyed your colorful write up  laughingdp

I have seen Saddlemen's products in the AMA Pro Flat Track Paddock and they are all custom made for each rider.  Tom Seymour, owner/founder, is a great guy, die hard rider, and very in touch with his customers.

They are based out of Los Angleles, and made there mark in with the cruiser crowd.  It is great to see them branching out into the sport, sport touring department.

Sorry if it sounds like I am cheerleading for Saddlemen, but they are a great company.  I am excited to see one of these in person!

M-ROCin' it!!!
Narflar
Beware the wrath of my

Professional Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Sounds like a nice alternative to the other seats out there.  I can't wait to see some high res pics.

2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
2008 Honda ST1300
2008 Triumph Speedmaster
2004 Ducati M1000
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:59:55 AM »

Sorry guys, pics will be coming! I spent 10 hours in the garage on Saturday cleaning up chains and buttoning the bikes back up for the year. I promise they'll be up shortly!

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »

I called Saddlemen, and the girl said they only have seats for '05 - '08, and '08-'12 Monsters.

That pic is of an S*R.

So, AFAIK, they have seats to fit '00 and later, as an '05 seat will fit a '00.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

BUMP FOR PICS ON FIRST POST, PAGE 1.

NAKID

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »

Damn work filtering! Can't see the pics....

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »

Nice seat, I like the sniffle ridge.  Wink

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
MashBill

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »

Corey,
Thanks for the excellent review and the new pics.  As a result, I just ordered one from DK.  It should be here Thursday!

Bill
2007 Ducati S4RS, Pearl/Red
1995 Ducati 900 SuperSport, Red
1981 Yamaha YZ465
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »

Damn work filtering! Can't see the pics....

proxify.com

Grin

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »

Hmmm wonder if they could be harassed into making one for KTM 690s. Mines already got a corbin seat, but at the end of the day my tail bone is displeased .

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: