Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:34:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A field guide to Ducati loom connectors  (Read 86857 times)
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« on: April 26, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »

If like me you're sick of persistent intermittent electrical problems (read occasional refusal to start), then you might have an interest in parts of the loom.  Specifically what each of the connectors are, and what the part numbers for the various bits are for replacement.

I've got my loom in a thousand bits, and as part of the exercise I've been documenting exactly that.  I thought it'd be a good idea to share.

So here goes, in no particular order.

ECU Connector:

I have no idea of the part number for these (the body and engine ones are subtly different) nor of where to buy individual terminals.  The whole lot is available as a kit from Competition Systems (http://www.mmcompsys.com/assets/Ducati%20wiring%20parts%20retail%20price%20list_01.pdf, though they're painfully expensive.  Note they have most of the connectors on the bike available in kit form too, but the cost is pretty high.

MAP sensor connector:

This is the connector that goes on the little air pressure/temperature sensor that Ducati stuck right behind your headlight.  I'm unsure of what the shell is called, but the terminals are AMP Junior Power Timer terminals, part no. 929940-1 (google that part number to find a distributor in your area - I've been buying mine from http://www.mouser.com, which is an electronics wholesaler.).  They fit a wire of 0.5 to 1.0 mm2.  If you need to go bigger, there's 929938-1, which covers really big cables of 1.5 to 2.5 mm2.  The little boot on the back of the wire is needed to seal it, and it's mandatory.  I've been using 281934-4, which are green and suit wire of 1.2 to 1.6mm outside diameter.  There's also a yellow one (281934-2) which suits larger wires 1.7 to 2.4mm diameter.

TPS sensor connector:

This is the connector that goes on the throttle position sensor, opposite the throttle cam on the throttle bodies.  It's a Delphi metripack 150.2 pull-to-seat.  It's an annoying connector, as you have to put the seal, then the shell on the wire, then strip and crimp the wire as it hangs out the front of the connector before pulling them back to seat.  Getting them back out again is really hard, and you can't pull the shell off the wiring without cutting the terminals off.  The terminals are part no. 12124076-L. The seal comes with the connector shell, and is reuseable.

Injectors, Crank sensor, ECU Oil temp sensor connectors:

First the injectors:

Next the crank sensor connector:

and finally the ECU oil temp sensor connector:

These are all variants of AMP Junior Power Timer connectors.  As for the TPS connector, terminals are part no. 929940-1.  They fit a wire of 0.5 to 1.0 mm2.  If you need to go bigger, there's 929938-1, which covers really big cables of 1.5 to 2.5 mm2.  The little boot on the back of the wire is 281934-4, which are green and suit wire of 1.2 to 1.6mm outside diameter.  There's also a yellow one (281934-2) which suits larger wires 1.7 to 2.4mm diameter.

Left hand switch connector:

I haven't as yet been able to find the part numbers for the terminals.  The connector is available from Competition Systems as a whole kit (see entry for ECU connectors).

AMP superseal 1.5 connectors:

These are far and away the most common connector on the bike.  They're used for the tail loom connector, fuel pump, headlight, O2 sensor, side stand cutout, etc etc.  In any case, two different size terminals are available:  282110-1, which suits 0.75 to 1.5 mm2 wire, and 282403-1, which suits 0.3 to 0.5 mm2 wire.  Seals are as for the Junior Power Timer connectors:  281934-4, which are green and suit wire of 1.2 to 1.6mm outside diameter, and yellow (281934-2) which suits larger wires 1.7 to 2.4mm diameter.

Gauge connector:

These are also an AMP superseal connector, though share nothing in common with the superseal 1.5's that are everywhere else.  In any case, the terminals are part no. 3-1447221-3, and are a relatively easy push fit into the back of the connector, after opening the gate (push the little white bit.

That's it for now.  There are also numerous non-sealed 6.3mm tab connectors (ignition, rectifier/regulator etc) that need to be covered.  I'll do that later.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:57:27 PM by suzyj » Logged

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »

Great write up.

applause applause applause

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

kyle

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

Thanks for the useful info Suzy!! Smiley

I cannot believe the different variety of brands they use! Why cant they just use Deutsch Sad (I have about a billion deutsch connectors in my toolbox and crimper to suit)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

I cannot believe the different variety of brands they use! Why cant they just use Deutsch Sad (I have about a billion deutsch connectors in my toolbox and crimper to suit)

That'd be un-Italian.
-Though I've got a KTM as well and they use a pretty wide variety too, for no apparent reason.

Nice write up Suzy. You're bringing some real in-depth tech muscle to the board. I've learned a number of good tings from you. Keep it up, please!

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
nicholasv

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »

So maybe since you did all that work you can answer my question.
I am trying to build a wire harness to connect an Innovate LM2 datalogger to a Monster S2R, without messing up the existing wire harness.

I have made a male/female connector for the RPM sensor, but I can't figure out how to do it with the TPS sensor.
It's like there is no opposing connector for the MetriPack 150.2 PulltoSeat connector.

Is that true? Any substitute that will work?
Anyone try this before?
MonsterHPD

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »

So maybe since you did all that work you can answer my question.
I am trying to build a wire harness to connect an Innovate LM2 datalogger to a Monster S2R, without messing up the existing wire harness.

I have made a male/female connector for the RPM sensor, but I can't figure out how to do it with the TPS sensor.
It's like there is no opposing connector for the MetriPack 150.2 PulltoSeat connector.

Is that true? Any substitute that will work?
Anyone try this before?

I think the mating connector is not available other than as it comes on the TPS. If I remember correctly, a friend who wanted to do exactly what you are doing had to slaughter an old TPS to get at that bit. Don´t know exactly what he did, though .... 

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:52 PM »

Gauge connector:

These are also an AMP superseal connector, though share nothing in common with the superseal 1.5's that are everywhere else.  In any case, the terminals are part no. 3-1447221-3, and are a relatively easy push fit into the back of the connector, after opening the gate (push the little white bit.

That's it for now.  There are also numerous non-sealed 6.3mm tab connectors (ignition, rectifier/regulator etc) that need to be covered.  I'll do that later.

Suzy or anyone know where to get the male version of this to enable using an aftermarket gauge cluster ??

edit

good info found in this thread
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=44219.45
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:11:10 AM by J5 » Logged

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

More Ducati-specific connectors and such available here:

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co.uk/

Also does business as RMB Performance Electronics on EBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/RMB-Performance-Electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »

Will this thread get a sticky? Grin

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »

Thank you, Professor Tyco

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
impulsive_duc

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »

MAP sensor connector:

This is the connector that goes on the little air pressure/temperature sensor that Ducati stuck right behind your headlight.  I'm unsure of what the shell is called, but the terminals are AMP Junior Power Timer terminals, part no. 929940-1 (google that part number to find a distributor in your area - I've been buying mine from http://www.mouser.com, which is an electronics wholesaler.).  They fit a wire of 0.5 to 1.0 mm2.  If you need to go bigger, there's 929938-1, which covers really big cables of 1.5 to 2.5 mm2.  The little boot on the back of the wire is needed to seal it, and it's mandatory.  I've been using 281934-4, which are green and suit wire of 1.2 to 1.6mm outside diameter.  There's also a yellow one (281934-2) which suits larger wires 1.7 to 2.4mm diameter.

Some later Ducati Monsters (2007-2010) use a Bosch 4-wire single-unit air temperature/pressure sensor. It's a MAP sensor with an oval connector (BOSCH 0 261 230 030) common to many European cars. The connector you pictured is apparently one of those Ducatis. The connector is called "4-way sealed Plug Bosch BSK Connector for Bosch MAP Sensor". (This also means it is likely easier to find replacement sensors). Ducati sensor part number 552.4.031.2B.

Some earlier [non-CANbus] Ducatis (2003-2007) use a Magneti Marelli 4-wire single-unit air temperature/pressure sensor. These use a "12162188 from Metri-Pack 150.2 Pull to Seat Series" connector. The Marelli sensor is 552.4.031.1A and is likely Ducati-specific*.

*Edit: it appears it is not:

FACTORY CODE
FIAT      46451792   71714218    71718233
MARELLI      71718678   806001563801   71728656
         KITTPRT05   T-PRT05/A

CANbus Ducatis (Superbike, etc) have a barometric air pressure sensor that is integrated into the dashboard PCB so that data is transmitted over CAN bus to the ECU and the sensor is non-serviceable. The only external air sensor is a 2-wire air temperature sensor that uses a "12162215 from Metri-Pack 150.2 Pull to Seat Series" connector. The sensor is 552.4.012.1A.

Regarding the ECU connector, I e-mailed Cinch directly about their 38-way locking connector and was informed they sold the tooling to Molex back in 2005. When I contacted Molex they claimed it was no longer in production. Replacement pins and the pin removal tool are extremely similar (functionally interchangeable) with Molex's CMX/CMC series, thankfully. Unfortunately the housings can now only be obtained from scavenging. However, some Fiat cars also use the same connector, so our friends in Europe might have an easier time of it in the junkyard.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:52:45 AM by impulsive_duc » Logged
BikeGuy
looking for a 900SS in reasonable order

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »

Hi all, any advice on where I can find a copy of the wiring schematic used as the background for the photos, I see it has the pin numbers and wiring for the Marelli 5AM ecu which would be a really handy reference, thanks.

Sean
Canberra region, Australia
M1000Sie, M900ie, Suzuki GSX750S3
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »

Often the very last page in the Owner's Manual.

In a box somewhere, lost by previous owner and/or download from Ducati.com  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
caperix

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:43:14 AM »

As long as this thread has been brought back, does anyone know what kind of connectors are used on the newer bikes for the switches or turn signals? They look similar to Deutsch, I can post photos if that would help.

Edit- I think I found them JST JWPF connectors
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=152

Edited html command.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:53:30 PM by ducpainter » Logged
pepeducat

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 06:41:00 AM »

Good  waytogo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: