Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it my fuel pump?  (Read 5846 times)
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »

So I will be riding around and all of a sudden for what seems to be one piston pump I lose power and hear a *click.
It happens somewhere between 2-5 times per full tank of gas. Regardless of spirited vs. downtown riding.

It is kind of sketchy when it happens in the twisties.

Thoughts appreciated.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
SupraGuy74
Popping wheelies and kissing babies!

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »

Well first things first fuel pumps usually show no sign of going out, they either work or don't. Have you pinpointed the click to the tank? If yes then there are some relays under there that are designed to click. First thing I'd try is to turn the bike on and don't start it, hit the engine kill switch on then off and the fuel pump should cycle. Do that a few times and see if the noise your hearing pops up. Does it only happen when the tank is full/empty or does it not matter how much fuel is in the tank?

Silver paint with retro double-line tank logos, hard anodized fork tubes, DP megaphones, DP airbox, DP ECU, Speedymoto open clutch cover, DP press plate with stainless springs and retainers, Custom turn signals, Lucas solo rearsets, Apex fully adjustable clip-ons, D3 Alumitech grips, Rizoma bar ends, SSR preload adjusters, STM billet oil breather, Yoyodyne clutch slave, FP Racing tactical bi-fold levers, Cycle Cat frame sliders,  Speedymoto billet side cover ,CRG Lanesplitters, projectr retrofit
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

Good to know.
When I power it on, everything seems to cycle. Ran it about a 100 miles today. At low speed, read as in 2nd gear it sputtered. This happened twice. Sounded like it was starving. For air or gas. I changed the air filter and the fuel filter about 2-3k ago. Nothing changed then.

Still stuck, sputter was not fun in the corner.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
EEL

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »

And your plugs look like..Huh?
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »

Year/model?

Mods? Recent mods?

Recent bike history? (Just came out of storage for the winter/ridden year round/ subscribed to Scientology over spring break.)

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »

2007 695

No mods, very stock.

It has been doing the 'click' thing since last summer intermittently. I think since I bought it last summer.
It has had a very low idle. If the fast idle is not on, it will idle itself off.
Did the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, belts, chain, sprockets front and rear last summer, but nothing recent.

The sputter is new.

I ran it here and there during fall/winter but not much more than 40-50 mile stretches.
A little seafoam last summer and then again while it sat for a little during fall/winter.

I get pics of the plugs tomorrow.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:19 AM »

Sounds like you need to do some basic adjustments before going further, TPS, throttle synch and idle speed. 
SupraGuy74

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »

think resetting the ecu would help? i know issues lie in the tps and throttle body sync.

Silver paint with retro double-line tank logos, hard anodized fork tubes, DP megaphones, DP airbox, DP ECU, Speedymoto open clutch cover, DP press plate with stainless springs and retainers, Custom turn signals, Lucas solo rearsets, Apex fully adjustable clip-ons, D3 Alumitech grips, Rizoma bar ends, SSR preload adjusters, STM billet oil breather, Yoyodyne clutch slave, FP Racing tactical bi-fold levers, Cycle Cat frame sliders,  Speedymoto billet side cover ,CRG Lanesplitters, projectr retrofit
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »

Sounds like you need to do some basic adjustments before going further, TPS, throttle synch and idle speed.  

Damn, I was hoping it was something easier, or rather something I had experience with.

Thanks, guess I will be searching the boards on the topic.

This is the best thread on the topic so far:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=44219.15
Thank you Artful.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:45:20 PM by take risks » Logged

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »

So a lead mechanic at Ducati that has been a massive help with other issues checked it out.
I pulled my plugs and they look fine for about 4,000 miles.

They looked the same last July as well.

He played with the fuel mixture screw a little but they are already pretty far out.

TPS the right issue to move on, or is there something else.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:50:59 AM »

Since your bike is now at a dealer who has access to test equipment capable of doing a lot of checks quickly your job now is to supply all the symptoms and conditions leading to the stalls and leave the diagnosis to the tech.  If it was me, my first step would be to retrieve any trouble codes stored in memory with the DDS tool, then go over all set up since you are experiencing a very low idle this must be corrected first since your low idle can be the cause of the bike stalling.  Stalling fixed? Problem corrected.  Not fixed?  More diagnosis needed.
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »

Ummmm. I just stopped by the dealer. Did not make said appointment.
Still buying beers.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

So I've been riding it with a wee bit more RPMs than I was before.  (Staying in the 5k range)
Got it to backfire in 1st and do that stumble thing only once on 500 miles.

Maybe I was just too low in the RPMs before? (Staying in the 3k range)

Can anyone help me translate this?
Do these bikes run rich and that means ^?

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
SupraGuy74

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

idk about anyone else but my bike really does not like going slow at all lol and feels weird and stumble when it is stuck to go slow

Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »

At anything more than like 25 mph my 03 620 was happiest between about 4 and 6k for cruising.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: