Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:21:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 695 mods and revamp  (Read 53338 times)
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »

Simply. Amazing.
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »

I've updated the loom diagram to show the changes that I'm making (not including rerouting).

The image is pretty grainy unfortunately. The google photos version:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114069696154074856835/albums/5761855448248757009/5761855446189296578

is better (click options - download original), but still nowhere near as readable as the svg original. If anyone wants that, PM an email address and I'll send it to you.

In any case, modifications are:

• Remove park wiring. This means removing the wiring going from the ignition switch park position that drives the little globe in the headlight, and also the taillight (no more accidental flat batteries). The ignition switch connector is now reduced to a 2 pin one (from 6), and the headlight from 4 to 3 pins.
  • Add power distribution board. This replaces the fusebox, plus the fuel pump and headlight relay. I can now run light gauge wire to the ignition switch, and also to the headlight high/low beam switch. Using mosfets to control the headlights means that I can now run any headlight bulb I like with impunity, with no risk of melting the left-hand switch.
  • Buffered the starter contactor. I made a little board that has a power mosfet to drive the contactor, rather than loading up the ECU. Hopefully that'll cure my intermittent start problems.

I toyed with removing the O2 sensor and immobiliser antenna, as I'm going to get my ECU reflashed, but decided to leave them in. It's not a huge amount of wiring.

I just spent all my pocket money on crimp tools, so when they arrive I'll be able to finalise the loom.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:02:17 PM by suzyj » Logged

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't understand the wiring one bit

But

Everything else looks nothing short of amazing

Seriously

Fantastic work with the heads and one clean looking bike  waytogo

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »

Will you come do my bike next? 

Pretty please? Cheesy

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
suzyj

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

Here's how the regulator/rectifier wiring turned out. I swapped the stock regulator for a Shindengen FH020AA mosfet one, from motoelectrix. I bought a thumping big Hero BL-255 (A really high quality Japanese made tool, despite the funny sounding name) crimp tool from Eastern beaver, and went at it.

Here's the business end of the crimp tool:

Here's what it does to the Furikawa terminals used to connect to the rectifier/regulator:

Once the cover is on, they're nicely sealed.

Rinse, repeat, add some braid and heatshrink, and in a little while all the wiring for the rectifier/regulator, battery, and 30A fuse is sorted:

And from the top side:

Now for the fun bit. I'm a bit of a ditz, and sometimes I can't remember if the red wire goes to the + or the - (after all, I'm just a girl). Here's what happens when I short the gauge supply straight to ground:

Cool, huh. No sparks, no smoke, no burning. Not even a fuse to replace. Just a little red light to tell me there's a problem. The offending circuit is shut down until the fault is rectified, and then it just works again. It's Suzy proof!

Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

Very tidy work there Suzy , now hurry up and get it back in one piece and come out for a ride
with the OzMonsters  Dolph .............................or has Perry got you chained up again  Grin
Raux
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

ok. so again. why isn't Ducati doing it this way?
suzyj

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »

ok. so again. why isn't Ducati doing it this way?

In reality, because they don't need to. Ordinary fuses and relays work perfectly well for nearly everybody, as long as they aren't OCD EE's, of course. For the 0.03% of the population that can't look at an electrical anything without redesigning it in their head, well there's a problem.

seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »

A true work of art.... bacon  waytogo

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
suzyj

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »

Starter contactor buffer circuit:

And in context to show how teeny tiny it is:

This little board replaces the back emf diode that normally lives in a monster's loom. Basically I came to the conclusion after pulling an ECU apart that the driver transistor for the starter contactor wasn't really big enough to handle the current reliably. My contactor is a tad sticky, and occasionally doesn't engage. I found that the unreliable starting went away if I bypassed the ECU and simply put 12V on the contactor.

So this board does that, but using the ECU driver line as the input. It's good for much more current than is needed, so the voltage drop will be negligible - I expect it to completely cure my starting problems.

Oh, and I can connect my battery backwards with impunity - all that will happen is I'll blow the 30A fuse.  cheeky

Edit: For reference, the coil on my starter contactor measures 4.7 ohms. When energised, the coil draws 2.8A. That's a pretty hefty load, either for a starter button (on older monsters) or the ECU.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:15:52 AM by suzyj » Logged

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »

I'm starting to think I want to download your brain... This is some cool stuff!

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:08 AM »

suzy proof... sure.
but is it COREY proof? that's the true test.
i'm hoping that maybe in some way, my slight mishap with the starting circuit was somewhat of an inspiration Grin

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Raux
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 06:38:51 AM »

In reality, because they don't need to. Ordinary fuses and relays work perfectly well for nearly everybody, as long as they aren't OCD EE's, of course. For the 0.03% of the population that can't look at an electrical anything without redesigning it in their head, well there's a problem.

yeah but for a company that prides itself on tech and lightness, seems that this solution would be a must do for Ducati. Really think you should shop this to them
kyle

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »

Cost will be way to prohibitive no doubt..
Raux
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »

Cost will be way to prohibitive no doubt..

huh? how? a circuit board and standard off the shelf components? smaller guage wires and less of it?
serious other than the design, which is done (selling point again for you Suzy), this HAS to be cheaper in large scale than the current wiring.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: