Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 07:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So What Problems Have You Had With Your S4 ???  (Read 5801 times)
Pancake81

« on: June 24, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »

If I missed anything please let me know. Those were just the most common things that popped into my mind. I love my S4 and really have had an overall good experience with it. Its not my first Ducati so maybe I knoew what I was getting into, which has limited my pregnant doging, but I was just curious how many of you S4 owners have encountered these issues.

Heath

Speeddog will chime in I am sure with a few more issues  Grin

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »

Flames.

Pancake81

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »

That was a bloody shame Rameses  Cry . Seriously gave me shivers. have a   drink for me my friend.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
johnster

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »

Just the infamous gas tank hinge leak so far which, thank God, didn't turn into Rameses' situation.  Shocked

-My bike has been good to me (knock on wood). The S4 can be quirky, but I like the fact that it's the only Monster w/the 916 engine, which is a classic IMHO.

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Dustin1231

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »

should have done more research before i bought my a S4. Seams like everytime i get on here their someone with something wrong.  now everytime i ride it i think something else is wrong with it.... I i think i smell someting when the motor is running. Like its running too lean. Althought im no motor head have have no idea how to tell. If you rev it up, you can see some black smoke, and every 15 to 20 second at idel it bogs down for just a sec... So who knows... bang head
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

should have done more research before i bought my a S4. Seams like everytime i get on here their someone with something wrong.  now everytime i ride it i think something else is wrong with it.... I i think i smell someting when the motor is running. Like its running too lean. Althought im no motor head have have no idea how to tell. If you rev it up, you can see some black smoke, and every 15 to 20 second at idel it bogs down for just a sec... So who knows... bang head

Swap that over into a thread, and we can talk it through with ya.  Wink

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »

Leaking battery.
Rear base gasket leak.
ECU went kaput.

No tank leak.
No flaking rockers, at 24k miles, anyway.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
scooby

<~ I am what I am ~>

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »

Mine crashed, but that might have been operator error...  laughingdp

Luckily no real damage though...

Leaky tank, too, but then my 02 750 also had the dreaded tank leak...

What would ScoobyDoo?
5lv
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:56 PM »

Fuel level sensor wires pinched on vert head - on back order since early May.
Bad coil.
Clutch slave.
No rocker or gas tank issues yet. only 8K miles
corndog67
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:19:12 AM »

Coming on 15,000 miles, the issue with the fuel pump wiring, fixed by putting a 3/8" spacer under the rear of the tank and 1/8" spacers under the front rubber mounts, and side stand switch took a dump.    Other than that, oh yeah, broke a chain at the MotoGp at Laguna, which took out the rear Carbon Hugger, but didn't hit the cases (I got real lucky on that one), replaced it with Stealth front and rear and DID ZVM.  I ride it every day.   It's a blast.  I was regretting buying it when the wiring issues were happening, but I'm having fun now.   Still don't really trust it yet, though.   In  retrospect, it was a good idea to take it to Monterey in the truck.   My buddy let me ride his 09 Ultra Classic Electra Glide to the races.   I bet that sucker had at least 65 hp and only weighed about 900 lbs. 
ozs4

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 03:08:28 AM »

Melted rectifier plug and intermittent tacho
djrashonal

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »

With all these leaky tank issues,  what are you guys doing about it? just cleaning up the drippings? having them welded? letting the gas coat your frame?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 04:20:19 AM »

With all these leaky tank issues,  what are you guys doing about it? just cleaning up the drippings? having them welded? letting the gas coat your frame?

Since your leaking tank will only get worse, you need to fix it.  Often the leak is at the hinge.  The best repair is to braze the hinge and treat the tank with POR 15.  The best way to do this is send the tank to ducpainter     http://www.frostysfinishes.com    and top the repai off with some great custom paint waytogo
fouramdesigns

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »

base gasket rit'cher. Tachy is acting up, but the guys on the boards seem to think it's my ill battery, let's hope their right. Other than that, I bought it used, a salvage with minimal damage. Just the usual service etc.

2001 Monster S4, Termignoni/ECU, DP short air box w/BMC filter, Rizoma Zero's front/back, Cookie tail chop, Rizoma belt covers, Evoluzione slave, CF all over
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

Swollen tank
TPS outta whack
Seat cowl rubbing on factory turn signal stalks
Ugly factory mirrors
Ugly factory exhaust
Horn that thinks it's a pantomime artist
Front tire coming up
Hot chicks won't leave me alone

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin