Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 03, 2024, 01:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Normal Operating Temperature?  (Read 7113 times)
Smokescreen

« on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »

It's been awhile since I rode my Ducati (sort of since 2009) and when I took her out, the temperature got above 200, which freaked me out.  Of course I'd forgot that the bike will tell me if she's overheating, so my fault there...

I've read that on the S2R1K the normal operating temperature can go over 230 without issue, but I'd love to hear what normal is for other users.

Mine is a 2006 S3R1K with 18K miles on it, and tends to run here in Colorado at normal use at 190-215.  What's normal for you's peoples?

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:57:40 AM »

From your manual:

Oil temperature function
If the oil temperature falls below 50 °C / 122 °F, the
message “LO” will appear on the display, and if it rises
above 170 °C / 338 °F, the messages “HI” will appear

You really want oil temperature pretty high to boil off moisture, a byproduct of combustion.  190-215 is a good range.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »

Totally dependent on ambient air temp, and operating conditions.

My 25 mi commute - will stay below 170F if temps in the 30F - 40F range. It'll take ~60F ambient to get above 220. Give or take. That's a 620 w/o oil cooler.

+1 on getting the oil hot enough to boil off the water and hopefully vaporize the fuel. Neither makes the greatest
engine lubricant. Plus reading oil level thru a milky sight glass - no way to run a railroad.

Smokescreen

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »

Mine is given plenty of time to warmup before rides, so I've stayed far clear of the milky sight glass.  Also, when she's being ridden, she stays well oiled getting a change every 4-5K. I'm mainly just curious to see what everybody else gets now.  This season, my bike hasn't seen over 220 that I can think of, but then, it's been pretty cold out too.

-Dubya

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
blocbul

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:25 AM »

Got a question here: I've installed a temperature sensor (aftermarket digital gauge) on my M750 carb, located on the oil filter cap (just like the OEM sensor on the 620) and I'm reading quite low temperatures.
When outside temp is from 30F to 50F I have about 130F when cruising and 160F in the city traffic.
Funny thing, when it rains (ouside temp is about 45F in Paris) the oil temp drops below 120F when cruising. Seems the water flowing on the oil cooler is getting temps really low. If I'm stuck in traffic it comes back to normal 160F.
I have the OEM oil cooler.
The sensor is in good condition and works well. The bike runs like a charm so I don't worry too much anyway.

Do you think it's "normal" operating temperatures? I think it's a bit low and I also get the milky stuff on oil window that I cannot get rid of ....
Maybe I should try covering the oil cooler during winter.
Any idea?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:37:59 AM by blocbul » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:14 AM »

Got a question here: I've installed a temperature sensor (aftermarket digital gauge) on my M750 carb, located on the oil filter cap (just like the OEM sensor on the 620) and I'm reading quite low temperatures.
When outside temp is from 30F to 50F I have about 130F when cruising and 160F in the city traffic.
Funny thing, when it rains (ouside temp is about 45F in Paris) the oil temp drops below 120F when cruising. Seems the water flowing on the oil cooler is getting temps really low. If I'm stuck in traffic it comes back to normal 160F.
I have the OEM oil cooler.
The sensor is in good condition and works well. The bike runs like a charm so I don't worry too much anyway.

Do you think it's "normal" operating temperatures? I think it's a bit low and I also get the milky stuff on oil window that I cannot get rid of ....
Maybe I should try covering the oil cooler during winter.
Any idea?

Normal?  Yes.  Good?  No.  Oil likes being hotter though.  I cover my cooler in the winter.  It helps a little bit.  Removing the filler cap after the ride will let some of the water vapor out, reducing the milky residue.  Higher RPM at the same speed help too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: