Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 03:34:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 272   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inane ramblings to avoid thread jacking  (Read 508780 times)
Mother
« Reply #1125 on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »

shit if it is me and mo all y'all are make the beast with two backsed
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #1126 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »

Well, spent the weekend in the garage working on the CBR.  Got all the broken plastic off, finished replacing the throttle-side switchgear an throttle cables (I'm gonna kill me a Honda engineer or two, but that's a story for over beers), replaced the rear brake pedal, stripped the fender and turn signal assembly off the rear, got rid of the horn, et cetera.  Man, the more I strip street garbage off, the closer it gets to an engine with wheels, the more I want to go ride.

Still need to swap out the radiator.  Will require a propane torch, as I got a great deal on a used radiator that's cherry... except the inlet and outlet are out-of-round.  I'm gonna heat 'em to (hopefully) soften the aluminum before bending them back into shape.

Also found when I yoinked the broken front fairing off: the front fairing stay was bent and cracked.  It's cast aluminum.  There's a slim possibility it could be bent back and the cracks welded or brazed, but I'm not sure that it's worth it when I can get a brand new replacement for $65 or so.  If I had a welder, I'd be bending that wanker back into shape and at least trying to fix it for free.  Hmm... maybe this is an excuse to go buy a welder... maybe I could then use it to make other crap and sell it as supplemental income... hmm...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Mother
« Reply #1127 on: March 10, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »

a nice nice used 220 miller is on my shortlist
duc_fan

« Reply #1128 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »

I don't know much about welding... do you prefer MIG/GMAW or TIG/GTAW, and why?  From what I've read it sounds like TIG is slower, but it's easier to make a higher quality weld.

I also see on Miller's website that the TIG machines are significantly more expensive.

Maybe I should go sign up for a welding class at the community college...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

duc_fan

« Reply #1129 on: March 10, 2009, 01:27:34 AM »

Hole. E. Crap.

It is now 2:30.

I really need to go to bed.

Y'all have a good tomorrow.

Mother
« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »

this is what I know about welding...im a poor welder, my pops is a god at the sport, and I want the machine so when he is over having a beer, he can do the welding.
Bendy

« Reply #1131 on: March 10, 2009, 07:35:17 AM »

Down on the job in California I had this little 140 Lincoln that would take an aluminum retrofit kit. The aluminum wire is a little spendy, but for the most part it's swapping in a spool gun, changing the feed rollers, and hooking up a little bottle of gold gas or some kind of argon mix to the deal, and you're set to do minor aluminum patching. We've got this sweet little Miller at work that senses required amperage, no guess work involved. TIG is for serious people.
bnbmike

« Reply #1132 on: March 10, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »

The guy who did my race car fab always said "MIG is for tacking, TIG is for welding."

I'd like to get a MIG for, well nothing, just to fool around with.

Had 2001 Monster 750 Dark, last of the carbby's.
Has 2011 Multistrada 1200 ST
Bendy

« Reply #1133 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »

Haha. That's true, when the most you ever weld on is 1/8" tube. I'd like to see someone TIG on an excavator bucket. As if it didn't take all day with the wire feed in the first place.
bnbmike

« Reply #1134 on: March 10, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »

Don't you go old school on that stuff, arc welding?  I took a class in high school and discovered that arc welding was a talent I didn't have.  I could do the row of nickels, but not where I wanted them, or where they needed to be.

duc_fan

« Reply #1135 on: March 10, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »

Okay... now I have more information than I had before, but no idea which one would be better to learn.  Not that I can afford either machine right now anyway.  I'd be messing around with small aluminum parts, auto body panels, and maybe exhaust tubing.  Common stuff for automotive repair and restoration, with some custom parts fabbing thrown in for fun.  Nothing structurally critical, as that would require training I don't have the time for.  Probably better to pay a pro in those cases.

Anyway... I think it's time for a drink

krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #1136 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

Jacob, have you checked your P.O. Box lately? waytogo

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
jdubbs32584
« Reply #1137 on: March 10, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »

So, I'm pretty lonely and people don't seem to be getting together much anymore. Anybody got any suggestions for some other local forums? I was looking and PNWRiders. The Oregon section of the sportbikes.ws forum is a little hard to navigate.

And Vic, I'll run down to the P.O. Box tomorrow afternoon if Mother doesn't get there first.  waytogo
bnbmike

« Reply #1138 on: March 10, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »

I follow these guys some times:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PNWRoadRiders/

They are mostly from Seattle but do a lot of rides this way.

They are coming to Pacific City on April 18th.

Living in the boonies can be difficult, I know.

8 lives

« Reply #1139 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »

I have noticed that our little forum has seem to die out a bit too.  I have started to follow the pnwriders.com forum more than this one now.  If you are on there jbubble i have the same name. 

I like my bikes like i like my women, naked!!!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 272   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: