Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 272   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inane ramblings to avoid thread jacking  (Read 508530 times)
toolfan

« Reply #795 on: December 08, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »

hhmm

how to get through to the big educated dummy that I am not talking about engine braking and a quick/emergency/oh shit stop...

I see your bridge comment and raise you a driveway comment

Do you think they should add an excercise titled "how to make a lazy stop for a red light on a secondary road"?  Do you think that the program should be dumbed down to the level, or do you think that is a sufficiently hard skill to master that it needs to be included even for the stronger students?
jdubbs32584
« Reply #796 on: December 08, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »

Why is it a "lazy stop"?

Mother
« Reply #797 on: December 08, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

Do you think they should add an excercise titled "how to make a lazy stop for a red light on a secondary road"?  Do you think that the program should be dumbed down to the level, or do you think that is a sufficiently hard skill to master that it needs to be included even for the stronger students?

No no and no

I am an instructor here at the FD not at Team Oregon so i am not even going to approach policy in that arena

what I do think is that to eliminate the idea of engine braking by teaching a student that to stop is Clutch In/Brakes on

as I believe we are in agreement is Code's technique

is short sheeting the principal operation of a motorcycle

now

it is perfectly acceptable to teach that in an emergency stop

that is a different operation than a regular lackadaisical complacent stop
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #798 on: December 08, 2008, 05:32:58 PM »

its easy.

To stop in the shortest amount of distance possible, pull in the clutch, grab your front brake (not all at once, gradually increasing pressure till you are at your maximum without flipping the bike), and apply some rear brake.  Period.  No re-engagement of the clutch at all, it will only cause you more distractions.

Each and every encounter may have 5 different and just as correct ways of stopping your bike.  You need to figure out which works for you.

Where are we drinking again?

and you all owe me .25

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
Mother
« Reply #799 on: December 08, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »

Each and every encounter may have 5 different and just as correct ways of stopping your bike.  You need to figure out which works for you.

sheer brilliance out of the big hairy man monkey
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #800 on: December 08, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »

!

This is actually a pretty cool, and somewhat on recent topic.

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
toolfan

« Reply #801 on: December 08, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »

its easy.

To stop in the shortest amount of distance possible, pull in the clutch, grab your front brake (not all at once, gradually increasing pressure till you are at your maximum without flipping the bike), and apply some rear brake.  Period.  No re-engagement of the clutch at all, it will only cause you more distractions.

Where are we drinking again?

and you all owe me .25

Spot make the beast with two backsing on.

But - when we teach people new skills, and we ask them to practice -

do we ask them to practice 5 variations, or do we ask them to practice the best way?

A budding motorcyclist will have plenty of time to figure out how to roll to a stop at a light, but before they hit the busy streets - they NEED TO KNOW how to stop quickly, and this is the thing they should practice, or else the skill won't be there when they need it.
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #802 on: December 08, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

DO NOT EVER MAKE ME WIKI THINGS!
<quote>
Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", roughly translated as "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity". An alternative version "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" translates "plurality should not be posited without necessity".

This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood. This is, however, incorrect. Occam's razor is not concerned with the simplicity or complexity of a good explanation as such, it only demands that the explanation be free of elements that have nothing to do with the phenomenon (and the explanation).

Originally a tenet of the reductionist philosophy of nominalism, it is more often taken today as an heuristic maxim (rule of thumb) that advises economy, parsimony, or simplicity, often or especially in scientific theories. Here the same caveat applies to confounding topicality with mere simplicity. (A superficially simple phenomenon may have a complex mechanism behind it. A simple explanation would be simplistic if it failed to capture all the essential and relevant parts.) </quote>

On  a side note... Julie came rumbling into the drive a little fast... she gripped a handfull of front brake and a handfull of throttle.... except she forgot to get a handfull of clutch... the result? The back end shot to the left and the front end stayed where it was. Bike on the ground. Nobody hurt... but a lesson learned.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
toolfan

« Reply #803 on: December 08, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

Why is it a "lazy stop"?

Seriously? 

How about this - define a lazy stop, and an active stop - we'll assume those are opposites... and then we'll work towards how to accomplish each, if you wish.
desmosome

« Reply #804 on: December 08, 2008, 07:04:42 PM »

Just to stir up the pot a bit....or to add a point....

Czysz told Mo and I once in a "tip session" not to rely on engine braking.

His reasoning.

As conditions change (rpm, gear, speed, etc) engine braking changes.

So for consistency don't rely on engine braking.

seems logical

but I still engine brake

Perhaps as one gets faster this may be a thing one has to unlearn

idk

jdubbs32584
« Reply #805 on: December 08, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

Seriously? 

How about this - define a lazy stop, and an active stop - we'll assume those are opposites... and then we'll work towards how to accomplish each, if you wish.

You know what, nevermind. I'll go ask to someone else. Thanks anyways.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:18:27 PM by JBubble » Logged
toolfan

« Reply #806 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

You know what, nevermind. I'll go ask to someone else. Thanks anyways.

You are offended by my attempt to start with the basics, but how can we have a discussion, when there is a very real possibility that we have differing definitions?
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #807 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »

Where's Krolik?  Victor!  Jump in on this heated debate!!

At work, being productive, unlike the rest of you slackers. Grin

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
Mother
« Reply #808 on: December 08, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »

Just to stir up the pot a bit....or to add a point....

Czysz told Mo and I once in a "tip session" not to rely on engine braking.

His reasoning.

As conditions change (rpm, gear, speed, etc) engine braking changes.

So for consistency don't rely on engine braking.

seems logical

but I still engine brake

Perhaps as one gets faster this may be a thing one has to unlearn

idk

Czysz is an idea-ist

so as an idea it sounds like a good idea

but

practical application Undecided

Spot make the beast with two backsing on.

But - when we teach people new skills, and we ask them to practice -

do we ask them to practice 5 variations, or do we ask them to practice the best way?

A budding motorcyclist will have plenty of time to figure out how to roll to a stop at a light, but before they hit the busy streets - they NEED TO KNOW how to stop quickly, and this is the thing they should practice, or else the skill won't be there when they need it.

ok once again

everyone pay attention

THE IDEA OF ENGINE BRAKING IN THIS SCENARIO IS NOT BEING APPLIED TO AN EMERGENCY STOP

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:40:55 PM by Mother » Logged
Betty Rage
it's a bird! it's a plane! No, it's a

hater

« Reply #809 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »

popcorn

Darkhorse den mother
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 272   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: