Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 07, 2024, 06:40:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SR4t "project" - updated 4/2/11  (Read 56753 times)
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« on: June 23, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

THe S4Rt is rapidly becoming my fav bike of all time.  So far I havn't been arrested or jailed, but almost every time out I probably should.  I find myself looking down at the speedo wondering why in the hell I'm traveling quite so fast....  The bike just does that.  Well, nothing exceeds like excess, so I want more.

First up, simple/cheap clean up.  The stock gauges look goofy perched on top of the triple.  Ducati should have done a better job of this, but it gives me something to do on a rainy weekend.

Gauges will be mounted under the triple, and the large headlight (soon to be done away with) and matching fairing will be lowered down as well.  It's not as though that fairing can deflect wind from my XXXL head anyway, so it might as well look cool.

Stock headlight bracket

"lowered" headlight bracket

I havn't welded aluminum in over a year, but I can still stick a piece of metal together...not my finest work, but it's getting powder coated anyway.  I need some new rol-loc pads, I had to use a carbide porting tool to scuff the surface, and then had to turn up the HF for cleaning when I welded, hence the large nickle-puddles instead of dimes.  Yup, I'm a perfectionist.  I may even cut it apart and do it again, even though no one will ever see it.

Now I'm waiting on 2 M5x40 Titanium tapered socket heads so I can put the whole thing together.  Here's a tip....A few of the "Major" suppliers had this bolt online but none in stock.  All were asking in the 10$ per bolt range.  Check your online road cycle shops....those guys like Ti more than donorcycle people do.  I got 2 Ti bolts for mounting up the gauges, and 4 more nice Ti socket caps for securing the brake master/clutch master to the bars....all for $15 shipped Smiley

Have a drink

Then get to chopping the back half of a 15 thousand dollar bike off

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:23:28 PM by TAftonomos » Logged

TAftonomos

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »

Chopped down some cans...

Of course, I tore into it before I took a "before" pic, so here is one can still mounted.  Looks terrible without the ugly rear fender, and it's got to go!

Remove end cap/strap:

Cut off ~3" of the can:

Install and start the bike.  Sound pretty much the same, maybe a touch louder (already pretty loud).  Dealer swears I'll knock 10hp off the bike because I did this.....I need to find another dealer.  If anything I may have shifted the power curve up ever so slightly.  I doubt on a dyno you'ld see more than 2hp either way.

Much better looking, thats for sure.  Nothing to drastic, this bike is going to be all about subtle changes.  The avg passerby probably won't even notice that it's not stock, just a nice looking bike.  Functionality is a top priority as well.  I may end up re-trimming the bottom can a smidge more to get it in line.

The entire exhaust will come off after the season and get ceramic coated black (end caps/straps too).  Forks will be anodized black, and if I have the coin I'll get the sliders DLC'd as well.  Rad and oil cooler going black, black side cases.

Not sure if I'll keep the same paint.  I need to do something cool with the clutch cover...thats next Smiley

I need to get the plugs for the frame, and tuck the license plate under the seat somewhere. 

Any of you guys ever used those LED bolts ?  Which ones should I get?

All told so far, the bike has lost 5lbs 2oz that were pretty much "free" (cept for the Ti bolts)

I just ordered a mess of Ti for the front end, which "might" amount to another pound LoL!
All in Ti:

Riser bolts
Reservoir strap bolts
upper triple pinch bolts
lower triple pinch bolts
fender bolts
headlight bolts
U bracket bolts
caliper mounting bolts

I need: Ti axle bolt, Ti Axle, BST's (snicker), and a set of Magnesium triple clamps (custom?).  That ought to take care of the front end.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:20:37 PM by TAftonomos » Logged

spaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »

nice looking bike.  Keep up the good work, and let me know if you want to let go of the stock upper tripple.  I need big bars. 
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »

love that color combo. the front of your bike looks freggin CLEAN compared to mine. sucks!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »

Very schweeet!!!! waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
DerekB.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:20:53 AM »

Best color combo, hands down!

-     '05 S2R - Carbon Arrow, Open Box and Chopped.     -
johnster

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:51 AM »

Very cool!!  applause

I've been wanting to lower my gauges/headlight ever since I installed clip-ons, but probably won't get around to in anytime soon.  Undecided

I did, however, manage to modify the two shock-post mounts that hold the gauge cluster in place which bought me about 1/2 an inch and makes the cluster lay flatter.. Better than nothing, right!?!  Wink

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Pancake81

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:31 AM »

looking good brother  waytogo

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »

That looks great!

I really like the shortened cans.   waytogo

(You might want to move this thread to the Accessories and Mods section though, since you aren't actually asking a tech question.)

c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »

looooooove it!    waytogo

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
TAftonomos

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »

Thanks everyone for the compliments!  If the thread needs to be moved, can I do that (or a mod?)

Very cool!!  applause

I've been wanting to lower my gauges/headlight ever since I installed clip-ons, but probably won't get around to in anytime soon.  Undecided

I did, however, manage to modify the two shock-post mounts that hold the gauge cluster in place which bought me about 1/2 an inch and makes the cluster lay flatter.. Better than nothing, right!?!  Wink

Once the bolts get here, I'll post a pic in this thread.

I've gotten a bunch of PM's about lowering the bracket.  Not sure what the rules are here, but I would be willing to do the welding mods for a small fee to help others out and support my habit.  You would need to PC or paint it yourself (I just spray bombed mine for the time being...will get PC'd with a bunch of other stuff shortly.

Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

If the thread needs to be moved, can I do that (or a mod?)

Since you're the one that started the thread, you can do it yourself.

You'll see a "Move Thread" option at the very bottom left of this page.

Just click that and then select the Accessories and Mods board.   waytogo

supertjeduc

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:11 AM »

Nice clean bike
But if it was mine (i wished it was  Grin) i would change the exhaust a bit
I would try to get the ends pointing up more
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »

Well done. Good to see the "Back yard mechanic" doing such a fine job. That little fairing actually does some good tho. (80 + mph)

Interesting statement that your dealer made about shortening the exhaust. Would have been nice to see a B4 & after Dyno. Could be alot of other Termi owners chopping those cannons.

More Pics & updates always appreciated.

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
TAftonomos

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »

Lol, I've been called a lot of things before, but never BYM Cheesy  Since I'm 6'5", that fairing really doesn't seem to do much for me (not that I can really tuck in anyway).

I'll have some dyno results after the summer is over.  Bike made 133whp in the DP Ecu/exhaust/airbox lid removed.   With all of the exhausts I've fabbed in the past, and tuning/dyno experiance, I'd bet dollars to donuts the HP hasn't changed a smidge Smiley  (new career...last one was metal fab).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: