Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:27:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Level Playing Fields  (Read 8449 times)
RAT900
Post Whore

« on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:45 AM »

A Day at the Zoo

Years ago...oh maybe 40 or 45 of them I used to occasionally kill-off a Saturday or Sunday by hanging out at the old non-upgraded Central Park Zoo.

More specifically by the outdoor chimpanzee cage,

I would start my day by going to a 9th Avenue Bodega in the old Hells Kitchen section to purchase a 6 pack or so of Country Club brand Malt Liquor (short boys) and stuff them in my pockets,

the 9th and 10th Ave Bodegas didn't care if your were in diapers they would sell booze to anyone capable of sliding money across the counter

I would then truck on up to Central Park and find a bench that offered a good (safe) view of the chimps' theater and would watch and wait.

Families...usually of tourists would wander in with spouses, girlfriends and kids to be amused by the monkeys.  It all seemed innocent enough, wholesome amusement for humans.

Well wholesome began and ended with the chimps taking notice of a fresh bunch of on-lookers.  

Their cage had a clear plexiglass shield going around it, the shield had yellowed to near translucence with age and probably the corrosive effects of decades of piss, jizz and feces it had been subjected to....mostly coming from the inside I would like to think.  The cage also was surrounded by a rail to keep the humans from getting up on the bars

You see these were not Margaret Mead's primates, nor Diane Fossey's extended family in the mist. This was a crew of primates that only Caligula might have been able to romanticize.  Living in captivity in NYC had left them with skill-sets that were more worthy of Plato's Retreat than family amusement.

These were not cute harmless Capuchin Monkeys with an organ grinder's tin cup scampering about in little costumes, these were Travis the Chimp's uglier cousins and ancestors

I recall more than a few Dads hoisting their excited children up onto their shoulders to get a better view of the chimps above the clouded plexiglass....a moment of anticipation and excitement that I quietly shared with the primates......

faster than you could say "Oh No" one of these furry little charmers would lightning quick, shit in its hand and hurl it with deadly accuracy at its exposed target.  Then the rest of the chimps would shriek and chatter gleefully at the sight of a direct hit....

I'll swear they taught us the "high five"....anyway these make the beast with two backsers did not miss at any yardage that shit ballistics would sustain.  I was surprised that Billy Martin and Steinbrenner weren't down there trying to figure out how to recruit them for the Yankees line-up...I could picture George telling Billy to shave them in the locker room and put them in Pinstripes and to pay them in bananas....

Well I guess if someone locked you up and sent a steady stream of on-lookers past your miserable existence...well you might dream up some less-than-delightful ways of articulating your displeasure with your circumstances. The chimps would also put on outstanding carnal performances, sometimes as couples sometimes as solo acts....there were some world-class wankers there....their facial expressions as they neared climax were all too human....their "ooooh" faces with those large mouths and lips were hysterical......the looks of horror on the human faces in response were worthy of a photography exhibit

unfortunately as our cousins they understood "shock and disgust" facial expressions in human primates and determined over the years what would provoke those expressions on human faces and what wouldn't...so you would get some wildly exaggerated performances on their part in an effort to engender disgust

Well one fine Spring day I happened to witness a stellar moment in human-primate interaction....a moment that provoked this tale and one I will always treasure in my catalog of human behavior studies.  

In strolls a gang of outer-borough greasers...judging by the accents I believe Brooklyn.....being the early 70's there was still a large contingent of 50's-60's era holdovers....not everyone shucked their chino's for bell bottoms and grew their hair to their shoulders,

some stayed true to the old look,,,,,, that look being greased back hair with forehead curl, black pegged skinny denims and black tee-shirt with obligatory cigarette pack rolled up into the sleeve and what were referred to as "PFC boots"......  street slang for pointy-toed black, heeled boots....aka in the city as Puerto Rican Fence-climbers...as they were a natural for scaling anchor fencing.  

Why they were attributed to Puerto Ricans I can't say..... as I recall very few hispanics/latinos of the era that wore them

Anyway the head greaser had his girlfriend in tow...the outer-borough fashion sense had left the full beehive hairdo behind by then....it had been moderated to a smaller tease-up in the back...think "Flo" of the Progressive Insurance TV ads...so enter stage-left...... the carousing noisy crew comes into the plaza in front of the chimps' theater of the bizarre.  

The chimps go on alert...they study the crew and quickly determine who the leader is and they go to work....they target his woman for their greatest array of insults...it usually isn't hard to determine a pack leader in any situation unless there is a concerted effort to mask that individual's status by all parties...in this case...the tribe openly deferred to the leader so the chimps got a fast handle on their target

They did not focus their efforts directly on the leader...they used the bank-shot challenge approach of openly coming-on to his girlfriend....breeding rights are big in tribal settings so the approaching of the girlfriend was a direct challenge to the head greaser.  

Now Chimps are not subtle creatures...on a good day they closely mimick a drunk Irishman with a herd of sheep at his disposal  Grin    Several of the boys in the cage begin displaying their packages and hooting and crooning at the girlfriend...whipping themselves into arousal....girlfriend blanches at the sight and the head greaser immediately recognizes the insult for what it was...a challenge to his proprietary dominance over the female...he steps in front of the girlfriend and begins cursing at the chimps and making disparaging borough gestures at them....

they respond with equal or greater fervor.....shrieks of challenge and gesticulations of outrage...and I find myself watching this escalation of hostilities to the point where both gangs are hurling their own particular species' brand of insults at each other...while the mechanics of the noises and gestures were different the intent of the communications rang as clear as bell.  The chimp gang was now in full excitement...the noise went well above the usual sound level...

Then the moment came....the head chimp came forward from the others taunting the head greaser.......the head greaser slid a knife from his pocket at the same time he started climbing over the brass safety rail to climb the fence above the plexiglass and get at the chimps....(and yes it was in fact a cheap "Rebel Without A Cause" stiletto switchblade... these were the days before carrying a 9mm was commonplace) my jaw is now hanging open in full grateful amazement... I quietly offered my thanks to whatever Gods may be.... that saw fit that I witness this magical event

Evidently the noise level of the chimps summoned a Zoo keeper to see what was going on....she came upon the greaser trying to scale the fence and screamed at him to get down...head greaser hopped down at her words....the chimps grew silent...he slid the palmed knife discretely into a pocket...the Zoo keeper explained that the chimps would tear his limbs right off his torso if given half a chance....

head greaser looked the Zoo keeper square in the eye..... and God as my witness with all enraged indignation he said; "the make the beast with two backsin monkey started it"

Country Club brand malt liquor shot out of my nose, burning my sinuses....but it did not matter...I was more worried about being able to catch my breath again I was laughing so hard

I guess in the final analysis chimps and humans are just cruel parodies of each other

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:52:16 AM by RAT900 » Logged

This is an insult to the Pez community
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:22 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:13:56 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp applause

great story! thanks for sharing Smiley
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »

Monkey see Monkey doo
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp

EXACTLY!!!...there was an ape at the St Lois Zoo years ago....had a big sunk-in pool in the center of his 3 sided cage....he would stand next to it waiting until he got a good audience in front of him then he would in a flash sweep his arm across the surface of the pool sending out a wave of water drenching everyone

This is an insult to the Pez community
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:07:27 AM »

laughingdp

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
The Architect

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »

Monkey see Monkey doo

I agree.

You can attribute some of the behavior to the captivity and close quarters but knowing the City of the 70's, I think the chimps had good examples.

Edit:  after futher thought, I don't think the humans were examples for the chimps.  Central Park was not know for that kind of behavior.  Central Park had the mugging, rape and murder thing.  The masturbation and poop thing belonged in a subway car.  Using the woods as a toilet didn't/doesn't have the same shock and awe desired response as dropping a douce in a crowded rush hour subway car.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:12:55 AM by The Architect » Logged

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:58 AM »

i think the chimps showed far more intelligence than the greaser(s)...

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Stella

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »

Sad thing is the greaser likely and eventually produced offspring. 

Amazing story, really.    Shocked   laughingdp

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
elyse

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

your stories are always so captivating... & now i cant stop laughing!  laughingdp

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
pennyrobber

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »

This was a great retelling. The picture of the zoo keeper walking up, I keep hearing the needle scratch on the record and everything getting quite. Good stuff.  applause

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
Triple J
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

I quietly offered my thanks to whatever Gods may be.... that saw fit that I witness this magical event

laughingdp Great story!

I've been to the world famous San Diego Zoo once...when I was about 10 years old. The only memory of the trip I have is of the Orangutans throwing poo at everyone. Classic!!  laughingdp laughingdp
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

laughingdp
I'd bet your equivalent was sitting at the back of the cage watching silently as well.

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:46 PM »

"The make the beast with two backsing monkey started it..."

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

Vino! to you, Sir...

Only way to make that story better is, if it were a mime instead of a greaser...   Grin

bacon

I only see jesus having a sauna with a teletubbie.
I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »

You see these were not Margaret Mead's primates, nor Diane Fossey's extended family in the mist. This was a crew of primates that only Caligula might have been able to romanticize.  Living in captivity in NYC had left them with skill-sets that were more worthy of Plato's Retreat than family amusement.

this part had me almost spit on my monitor the water I was drinking while reading....I need to not read your posts while drinking something....

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: