Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety Check  (Read 11389 times)
SkimBom

« on: December 18, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »

Hey guys, i recently picked up an 02 Monster 620ie project bike. I should have it road worthy in a month or so. It did not come with any turn signals or reflectors and i have never done a safety check here in Hawaii. Can you guys help me out and tell me what i need on the bike to pass or point me in the right direction to where i can find it?
Thanks
tmitbyh

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »

The easiest thing is to put everything back to stock.  You have to have signals that are stamped "DOT", you will need to have orange reflectors on the front forks, red reflectors on the rear sides of the bike somewhere as well as one that is vible from the rear of the bike.  License plate will have to have a light.  Chain will have to have a chain guard as well.  I found that one out the last time I had my CBR600RR inspected as I took it off to clean the chain and forgot to put it back on before inspection.   bang head

A guy I work with takes his R1 to some shop in Waipahu and passes everytime and I know he doesn't revert everything back to stock.  Most of the bike shops (South Seas, Cycle City, Montgomery, etc.) are going to be on the up and up.  They might let little things slide (Montgomery let me chain guard slide) but they are not going to let major things go without you fixing it.

I *think* Montgomery has a pre-inspection that they will do to let you know what you would fail on.
SkimBom

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »

Okay, Thanks.
The previous owner did a tail chop on it so stock might be a problem but i'll find some DOT signals that will work.
The pre-check would be nice. I have been in 5 times to get my car checked but each time they find something they don't like.
tmitbyh

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »

Looking at Montgomery's site they offer a courtesy inspection for bikes you want to purchase.  I am sure if you went down there or even to South Seas and asked them if they could look over the bike and tell you what needed to be fixed for safety they would be willing to.  I can't see anyone charging for that but then again...
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »

Hey guys, i recently picked up an 02 Monster 620ie project bike. I should have it road worthy in a month or so. It did not come with any turn signals or reflectors and i have never done a safety check here in Hawaii. Can you guys help me out and tell me what i need on the bike to pass or point me in the right direction to where i can find it?
Thanks

I have a bunch of parts from a 2002 620 that I've just stripped down for parting out. These were going to be on this forums parts for sale soon and then eBay so let me know what you are looking for and maybe we can work out some deals.

BTW,  was that the red 620 out in Waimanalo?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
SkimBom

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »

Yes, it is the one from Waimanalo. I got it for a grand.
I could use one of the rear set bolts (big gold ones) and the rear brake pedal if ya got it.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »

Yes, it is the one from Waimanalo. I got it for a grand.
I could use one of the rear set bolts (big gold ones) and the rear brake pedal if ya got it.

BTW --- Welcome to Desmotropic!

Yes, I have that stuff.  I might also ask, more importantly, what are you doing about not having a key for that bike?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
SkimBom

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »

Yes, I have that stuff.  I might also ask, more importantly, what are you doing about not having a key for that bike?

Thanks
I ordered key, ignition, ecu and gauges off ebay for $600. Today is the day i see if they work and if the bike will start. Wish me luck.
teddy037.3
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

tire tread, DOT turn signals, front/rear reflectors (I also have some from a 620 if you need 'em), working horn? would be the basics.

tail chop, you might get away with... as long as your lights are legal (no integrated LED tail).

is it only the safety check that's out? or reg, too? HI title?
SkimBom

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »

is it only the safety check that's out? or reg, too? HI title?

The title is good but i do need to get it re-registered. The tags on the plate expired last January. Will i run into any trouble with that?

I got it started tonight. First try didn't go too well, it didn't turn over or anything. I read through the owners manual just to be sure i wasn't missing anything dumb and found the part about the kickstand. I went down and tried starting it with the kickstand up this time and it fired right up.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »

I got it started tonight. First try didn't go too well, it didn't turn over or anything. I read through the owners manual just to be sure i wasn't missing anything dumb and found the part about the kickstand. I went down and tried starting it with the kickstand up this time and it fired right up.

waytogo

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
teddy037.3
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »

The title is good but i do need to get it re-registered. The tags on the plate expired last January. Will i run into any trouble with that?

it's a PITA, but not rocket surgery... you need insurance, then take it to get safety checked, they will issue you a temp. safety if everything is good, which you then use to get your reg. then you go back to the shop that gave you the temp safety and can now get the real one.

there will also probably be back taxes on the expired reg... not a deal breaker, though.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »

As long as you are in neutral it should still start with the kickstand down. It's a starter motor cut out function not ignition/fuel cutout.

Too bad about the key stuff but now I know what that goes for. I would have sold you the key, gauges, ECU, ignition switch, seat lock & fuel cap for way less. But how would you have known??
 Grin

SkimBom

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »

As long as you are in neutral it should still start with the kickstand down. It's a starter motor cut out function not ignition/fuel cutout.

Too bad about the key stuff but now I know what that goes for. I would have sold you the key, gauges, ECU, ignition switch, seat lock & fuel cap for way less. But how would you have known??
 Grin

Hm, the neutral light was on but it still wouldn't start.

I wish i had known you had the stuff, oh well. $600 was the cheapest i found it. there were a couple more expensive so you should be about to sell it for a good price.

it's a PITA, but not rocket surgery... you need insurance, then take it to get safety checked, they will issue you a temp. safety if everything is good, which you then use to get your reg. then you go back to the shop that gave you the temp safety and can now get the real one.

there will also probably be back taxes on the expired reg... not a deal breaker, though.

Thanks. They dont make things easy do they...
teddy037.3
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:50:13 PM »

Thanks. They dont make things easy do they...

easy is not the way they roll lol

try buying a pistol here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: