Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All about fuel tanks!  (Read 224356 times)
2001cromo

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

@doc_mon9
The 2002+ metal tanks work fine without any mods on the 2000 & 2001 bikes.  waytogo
tshearman

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so here's a bit about myself: graduate student with a 1999 Ducati Monster 750. Unfortunately, it stopped firing in one cylinder about a year ago... and has been sitting ever since. Sad, I know. Please don't shame me too hard. I know. Point is, I finally found a place to fix it and am in process of fixing all the little things that need fixing (as well as the spark problem).

The tank is in really rough shape: when I received the bike the tank had the dreaded hinge-leak, was rusting and someone then tipped it over in a parking lot: signature Ducati dent! Savages.

Clearly finding the metal tanks in decent shape is quite challenging and expensive. But there are lots of plastic tanks available. It clearly seems like the metal tanks are preferred. However, I've read this thread thoroughly and deduced that it's possible to use any newer 99+ (plastic or metal) tank on my bike, with some modifications.

The tank on my bike now is gravity drained to a vacuum pump (outside the tank), so it seems like it would be totally possible just to remove the inner pump and slap the new tank on there but I'm just trying to feel out what modifications will be necessary and how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be...

Clearly I would need to replace the tank mounting hinge. (easy, $)
Potentially I would need to replace the seat, correct? (easy, $$)

What else?

Thanks so much! I look forward to the adventure of fixing up this bike and really making it mine.

ts
Thephil

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

Hi All,

Phil from Australia here, so my 2004 Monster 800 has a metal tank, its FI and it has a rust problem.

About 12 months ago I took the tank off, got rust cut out and the tank painted and then sealed the inside. However the job must have not been the best as Im weeping fuel now.

Basically I want to replace the tank but am having a hell of a time finding a replacement.

Due to my bike being the 800 of 2004 am I restricted to only that model of tank?

Will a 620 tank fit it?

Currently Im scouring eBay but are there any other places I should be looking?

Metal or plastic doesn't worry me I just want the damn thing to fit and not leak.

Cheers

Phil
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »

Gday Phil and welcome.
Post this question in the Tech section and you'll get more hits.
Good luck.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »

@tshearman

I'm not sure if the bottom shape will clear the battery, coil and ignition equipment on your '99 M750.
If it does.....
Then, likely you would need to remove all of the pump and pressure regulator hardware from the inside.
Then select which fuel passage to use, plug the other one, and get one of the OEM plastic quick disconnects from the plastic-tank bikes.
And fit a fuel filter.

@Thephil

'01 and '02 S4, and steel S4R tanks will fit, but will have slightly reduced capacity due to the shape of the bottom.

'02-'05 M620, M750, M800, M900, and M1000 tanks will be the same as what you have.

Plastic tank will fit, and if it comes with all of the pump apparatus inside, you're good.
You would need the mating OEM quick-disconnect fittings that came on the bikes with plastic tanks, and the hinge plate.
You would need to eliminate the fuel pressure regulator that's on your throttle body, as the plastic tanks have it inside.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »

Yes, do move this post to Tech.  As long as the pump and filter come out the top any metal FI tank should fit.

This is your part#    586.1.037.2   The numbers that are missing are the color.  

To check part numbers go here : http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: