Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:25:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000ds FCR Build  (Read 100872 times)
Düb Lüv
ASE master internet mechanic

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »

She's finally erected.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:47:09 PM by Düb Lüv » Logged

Building, building, building
Düb Lüv

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »

Pulled off the yucky stock clutch assembly. Are the stock friction plates suppose to be aluminum cause to ones on this motor are? Maybe its aftermarket.

More money shots
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:57:22 PM by Düb Lüv » Logged

Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:16:32 AM »

waytogo That carb looks cool as hell sitting on top of that engine.  The stock friction plates on my DS1000 engine were aluminum.  Are those the stock manifolds?  Did the carbs attach to those manifolds without any problems?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:47:33 AM »

yeah what manifolds are those? Huh? they look like the factory intakes but those are way too big.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Düb Lüv

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 05:56:46 AM »

waytogo That carb looks cool as hell sitting on top of that engine.  The stock friction plates on my DS1000 engine were aluminum.  Are those the stock manifolds?  Did the carbs attach to those manifolds without any problems?

Well that's cool about the plates. I'm used to the 900 clutch assembly where everything is steel.

Yeah these are the stock manifolds.

Larger threaded couplers on the exit side of the carbs were used since the manifold have a larger diameter than 900 manifolds. Also keihin or Sudco kinda doesn't make an off the shelf kit for a 1000 motor but the kit was pieced together without a problem.

The only problem I've seen using the stock intake manifold is the crazy angle the bowls rest at. The horizontal bowl is about 20°, but the vertical bowl sits about a 50° angle.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 06:19:21 AM »

Larger threaded couplers on the exit side of the carbs were used since the manifold have a larger diameter than 900 manifolds. Also keihin or Sudco kinda doesn't make an off the shelf kit for a 1000 motor but the kit was pieced together without a problem.

The only problem I've seen using the stock intake manifold is the crazy angle the bowls rest at. The horizontal bowl is about 20°, but the vertical bowl sits about a 50° angle.

what spigot part # is that?

i wonder if you could reverse them or use two horizontals/verticals to get a better hookup?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »

what spigot part # is that?

i wonder if you could reverse them or use two horizontals/verticals to get a better hookup?

Spigots are the same part#

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »

Spigots are the same part#

i am talking about the intake spigot.   there are about 20 in the catalogue for different bikes.

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor/SudcoKeihinCatalog.pdf
page 33-34

Looks like it is part N195-32D, for a Honda Blackhawk.

The DS manifold has an ID of ~49.50 mm at the lip (widest).  The only spigot with that OD for the lip is N195-32D, which has an OAL of 26mm and a port diameter of 41.5

There is one for the BMW R100 (N195-874) that has a 52mm OD and slightly longer at 29.3mm

For comparison, the spigot for the FCR single for Ducati has a mouth of 44.5mm, a port diameter of 39mm (regardless of carb type) and a length of 37mm.

I wonder if being 11mm shorter is bad.  The fact that the port is so much smaller is interesting.  Seems you are losing something with a FCR41 having to neck down to a 39 port.

I bet that BMW adapter would do it, it's 8mm shorter. THe OD of the mouth would fit into that manifoled with a little elbow greasw.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:59:37 PM by ducatiz » Logged

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »

Anything is possible with enough time... Everyone I have ever talked to said not to mix sidedraft/downdraft carbs. I tried it once. Not sure if that bike ever idled again... last I heard the next owner refitted stock manifolds and dual FCRs.

DL: I talked to the belt people to try and get the sprockets back for your engine... turns out they're using them in the jig for measuring all the belts as they come in. Sad sorry dude!

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

Anything is possible with enough time... Everyone I have ever talked to said not to mix sidedraft/downdraft carbs. I tried it once. Not sure if that bike ever idled again... last I heard the next owner refitted stock manifolds and dual FCRs.

i meant horiz/vert manifolds, not side/down carbs.  i think that would be a clustermake the beast with two backs.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »

Gday Chris. You don't recommend a side draught for the rear pot? I thought this was the set up MBP used, or did I think wrong? I know JD Hord prefers two down draught with custom manifolds.

Is the issue in regard to relative float bowl angles and friggin with the float levels to get even low speed running, or IMS and slow jet tuning for very asymmetrical manifolds?

DL, I reckon FCRs, DP cams,  and squish set with thinner head gasket or no base gasket and you got 100+ hp. Whoo hoo!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:43:02 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

Ah, well, we found this setup works on newer generation engines with the original manifolds. Since they're not exactly easy to find, I didn't think to make it more difficult. Wink

koko: one fellow reported 96 hp on all stock engine. Without any tuning to dial it in. A racer who "did everything" to his engine and made this his last mod got over 115 "real" hp, which equates to about 130 dynojet!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »

Thanks Chris. Bloody hell, shows the untapped potential of the DS and how strangled they are in stock form.
Now, do I try to import a DS motor and frig around with regulations in Oz, or settle for  944 JEs, more porting and 44 mm inlet valves for the next rebuild...

2015 Scrambler 800
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »

strangled? fuel or air wise?

id love to get 96hp out of my bike without droping in a ton of money.....

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

koko: other than for dual FCRs, oil, and gas, I wouldn't spend another cent on the 900 engine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: