Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie ?'s Downshifting when Coming to a Stop and Shifting from 1st to 2nd  (Read 10036 times)
cyberswine
I Just Washed and Waxed my

2011 796 ABS

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 02:21:15 AM »

I am the invisible man when riding.  None of the cagers/truckers can see me.  I know this and expect them to pull out or turn in front of me.  On the other hand, if I can't see them then they for sure can't see me.  Positioning yourself so oncoming drivers waiting to turn in front of you have you in their line of sight is vital:  eye to eye contact - even over a distance - keeps them at bay.

"Life ain't no box of chocklits when you is born a idiot"
Forrest Gump
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »

I'm a new rider also, lots of good info here. Another thing I learned the other day, at 4 way stops just let the cager go first if it's close when you both arrive to the intersection. I didn't the other day and was almost made into a hood ornament. 

timeforpoptarts

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »

I'm a new rider also, lots of good info here. Another thing I learned the other day, at 4 way stops just let the cager go first if it's close when you both arrive to the intersection. I didn't the other day and was almost made into a hood ornament. 
This is something that I learned as well. I also tend to wait a few seconds before accelerating from a red light because I fully assume that someone is going to be a complete asshole and try to blow the previously yellow light at a high rate of speed. My thumb is always on the horn when I go through an intersection, too.

'11 M796 ABS
Bontchimuz

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »

Just wanted to say that this is a SUPERB thread.

I took MSF last October and have thought about much of this stuff as well.

Keep it coming....for us noobs ;P
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »

This is something that I learned as well. I also tend to wait a few seconds before accelerating from a red light because I fully assume that someone is going to be a complete asshole and try to blow the previously yellow light at a high rate of speed.

yes - I give a right-left check look when coming off a red in the first spot to ensure there's not some cross traffic who decided the rules don't apply.

A staffer at a local moto shop was near killed a few years back. He was the first vehicle into the intersection from his lanes (multi lane road) on a green while on the way to work. A stolen SUV on the run from the cops blew the red on the cross road and hit him full broad side at a high rate.

And related - never hurts to check right if you're turning right in an area with pedestrians - be you on bike or in car. I see tons of folks who don't think to look right when turning right on red/stop and near hit a ped. Or, being lucky me, hit me...

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: