Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 06, 2024, 09:49:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rider - Took her out on the highway - Feeling of Floating ?!?  (Read 7072 times)
talljoker

« on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:50 PM »

So I got my baby about 3 weeks ago and I have been riding ever since. Doing the crawl before walk before run phasing in. Around town I feel comfortable, but not cocky. I experienced my first oil slick when putting my foot down yesterday. Anyways to get to it I decided that I wanted to open her up so I went on to the highway. Little traffic but I wanted to get a feel for her at speed since I never had her up over 65 constantly.

I get up and I check my mirrors all the good things and I started to notice that it felt like the bike was floating on the road. Just a slight feeling of it getting light while at speed. Idk if it was me getting used to the wind but it was giving a little pucker of the butt factor. I stayed at 65 and started doing runs up to 85 to get a feel for it and the "Check yourself jared" voice came in.

Could it be mechanical or is it most likely me getting used to the wind and speed...
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

Could it be mechanical or is it most likely me getting used to the wind and speed...

Most likely you, but what bike and mileage are we talking about?

If it's brand new and you're not very heavy (making the suspension too soft), it might just be you getting tense and making steering inputs that come from a tense body. If so, try leaning forward a little and make sure your shoulders are low and elbows are loose.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
talljoker

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

Sorry to add that..

'02 M750 with close to 21K, in good condition, and I'm 6'2 215lbs...make a perfect air brake sometimes...but I feel comfortable on the bike but it was just a weird slight drifting..
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

The air pushes you backward, pulling on the bars, making the front light and feeling a little unstable,
That's a normal Monster issue. You, weighing the bike down on it's rear wheel makes it more so.

If it's not done, you can have the rear shock's spring preloaded more, to suit your weight. That will help.

Other things to look into: are the tires nice and round? Wheels aligned? Swingarm, steering head and wheel bearings ok?

It can and should be very stable at speed, so I think you might have some things to look into. That is, if it's not only your riding position and steering input that needs work.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
talljoker

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »

Everything looks good. I am thinking it might be the rear spring and my heavy ass. My girl rode the bike home and said it was fine with her when she took it to speed but she is also 111 out of the shower.

I'll take her out and focus on getting my weight over the bars a little bit more. I guess I didn't notice it around town b/c it was slower speeds.

I am thinking about getting a bar with a lower rise so as to help with the weight on the front and also a rear shock. Any recommendations?

btw first bike and I am bite...

-jared
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »

FWIW - I've found that I constantly need to be aware of 'sitting back' in the seat and letting my arms carry some weight.

Getting weight forward (or off the rear) helps a ton, as does getting all weight off the arms so they can hang naturally and feel the bike thru turns.

Getting weight forward for me is all about bending from the hips over the tank, not sliding forward  Tongue

At 215# plus gear, your bike's not gonna handle as if the rider is 160#...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:32:03 AM by OT » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:15 AM »

I'd have the steering head bearings checked at 21K, but it is probably your input giving the unstable feeling

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Twizted

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »

When at speed correct tyre pressure can make a hell of a difference. 33 front - 36 rear is usually what you should be running.
bdub

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:21:16 AM »

I run 40 rear 38 front on Angles. Doesn't running lower pressure harm your tires?

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
hillbillypolack

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »

All good comments so far.  Also on the first gen Monster frames, they had a tendency to feel light at the 'bars.  Knowing that, and its tendency to (sometimes) get a tank slapper you have to actively do something when riding the beast. 

This happened to me, coming home late (midnight) after riding 8 hours.  I was coming into a headwind, sitting normally and the bike felt light, a little wobble at the bars.  Bike had 7600 on it at the time, standard 'bars.  I had to fight normal freeway 'wind' and get my weight onto the front a bit more.  Not drastic, but shifting the weight forward I felt the bike talking to me more.

This may (or may not) be what you're feeling.  Next time when you're at freeway speeds, shift your weight forward and back to normal to see how that affects your impressions of the 'floating'.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:52 AM »

I run 40 rear 38 front on Angles. Doesn't running lower pressure harm your tires?

40 and 38?  That seems to be the max recommended pressure.  I don't know which bike you have but for the S4RS, factory recommends 32-33 for the fronts and 33-34 for the rears.
bikepilot

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »

I would guess that everything is fine and you just aren't used to riding the bike yet, but if you are concerned maybe get an experienced rider to take it for a spin to verify that all is as it should be.  Lower bars certainly wouldn't hurt as the monster doesn't carry quite enough weight on the front wheel.  Still its a long way from floating off the road Cheesy

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
HotIce

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »

The monsters are front light. When I switch bike and I get my Bandit 1200, seems like I am steering, bare arms, an M1 Abrams tank  Grin
bdub

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »

40 and 38?  That seems to be the max recommended pressure.  I don't know which bike you have but for the S4RS, factory recommends 32-33 for the fronts and 33-34 for the rears.

I used to run 36 front an 38 rear then bumped it up to make them last longer. Is not that the way to increase tire life? I don't ride hard. I run a 900.

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »

I used to run 36 front an 38 rear then bumped it up to make them last longer. Is not that the way to increase tire life? I don't ride hard. I run a 900.

Different strokes for different folks.  I will say that a couple of PSI makes a world of difference in handling on the S4RS.  If longevity is the goal then have you consider running harder compound when you decide to replace tires?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: