Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 02, 2024, 05:07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended 'practical' modifications for an S4R?  (Read 9420 times)
zeoniks

« on: September 22, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »

Are there any modifications that people have done to their Monsters, specifically to an S4R to make it a little more manageable to ride? After my drop, some people made the suggestion to do certain things to make it a little more manageable to ride in the city. Here's my list so far:

- Tapered handle bars
- Throttle tamer
- Aftermarket clutch slave cylinder
- 14-tooth drive sprocket
- Aftermarket rearsets

Does anyone else have anything else to suggest?
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:21 AM »

You  need to be a little more specific (when asking question like this).

For example, what makes you think you need to change the handle bar ? Do you feel the handle bar grips are too far ?
(Especially at full lock position ?) How tall are you ?
And you listed 14 t sprocket and throttle tamer ... what makes you think these two will make S4R more rider friendly ?
(Do you feel throttle response is too sharp at low speed turn, like when doing u-turn?)

My suggestion (as fellow owner of S4R )

Handle Bar & rear set : can make pretty big difference (especially if you are short, like me). But you have to find the ones that works for you. (the brand xxx rear set and brand YYY bar that worked for your friend may or may not work for you.)

14 t sprocket : No. I wouldn't do that.

Clutch slave cylinder : Yes (if you do a lot of city run. )

Throttle tamer : save money and invest on either remapping ECU or get a better rear shock. (If you want to cure low speed bucking bronco.)
Raux
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »

I'm sorry, this title... pratical, Ducati, and 4v... don't go together  Grin
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »

Yes to the tamer, 14T and clutch slave waytogo

Other bars if you really need it. Further information?
Rear sets, maybe not 'practical' as their strongest plus feature.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

What year and version of S4R?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
zeoniks

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »

You  need to be a little more specific (when asking question like this).

For example, what makes you think you need to change the handle bar ? Do you feel the handle bar grips are too far ?
(Especially at full lock position ?) How tall are you ?
And you listed 14 t sprocket and throttle tamer ... what makes you think these two will make S4R more rider friendly ?
(Do you feel throttle response is too sharp at low speed turn, like when doing u-turn?)

My suggestion (as fellow owner of S4R )

Handle Bar & rear set : can make pretty big difference (especially if you are short, like me). But you have to find the ones that works for you. (the brand xxx rear set and brand YYY bar that worked for your friend may or may not work for you.)

14 t sprocket : No. I wouldn't do that.

Clutch slave cylinder : Yes (if you do a lot of city run. )

Throttle tamer : save money and invest on either remapping ECU or get a better rear shock. (If you want to cure low speed bucking bronco.)

I'm 5'8" and the bars feel too far (my crotch is literally on the tank). The pegs are a bit high, but not as noticeable as the bars.
zeoniks

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »

What year and version of S4R?

2006 S4R
zeoniks

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »

I'm sorry, this title... pratical, Ducati, and 4v... don't go together  Grin

Ha I know. I guess I'm trying to make it more manageable.
zeoniks

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »

Yes to the tamer, 14T and clutch slave waytogo

Other bars if you really need it. Further information?
Rear sets, maybe not 'practical' as their strongest plus feature.

The pegs aren't really a big issue so that's why they're at the bottom of my list.  The brief amount of time that I was on the bike, the most noticeable things were: heavy clutch, far reach on the bars, and twitchy throttle.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

A customer brought in some bars sourced from a Brutale, said they had a bit more sweep and a bit higher.
Can't remember how much.

IIRC, they were slightly smaller diameter at the clamp area, had to shim them slightly to get a good fit.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
zeoniks

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

A customer brought in some bars sourced from a Brutale, said they had a bit more sweep and a bit higher.
Can't remember how much.

IIRC, they were slightly smaller diameter at the clamp area, had to shim them slightly to get a good fit.

I was looking at the Rizoma tapered bars. Are there any other alternatives?
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

I was looking at the Rizoma tapered bars. Are there any other alternatives?

Yes.
That's Triumph speed triple's handle bar right next to stock S4R bar.

It is made by Magura (same as stock S4R bar), so the quality of the bar is the same at least.
Direct swap (other than drilling the holes for controls), don't have to change cables, brake & clutch lines.

See the difference in sweep back angle of the grips ? That's what makes noticeable difference for short(er) riders.
So, changing the handle bar will probably solve "too far to reach" bar problems. And it MAY solve throttle issue.
( You can do a lot better throttle control if the throttle grip is closer and has comfortable angle, as oppose to trying to reach the throttle grip that's too far and has uncomfortable grip angle.) So, I'd suggest try handle bar swap before 14 t sprocket and throttle tamer (as you may not need them ).
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

All right. I read your postings here.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=51636.0
I *think* I sort of understand (what you feel like) your problem here.

I'd say, change the handle bar first. And check your riding position, the way you hold & turn the throttle grip.

Do you play tennis ? Golf ? Shooting hand guns? Use knives for cooking ? If you do, you'd get the idea of what I'm trying to explain.
You need to grip starting with little finger, then ring finger. Then, middle & index finger, thumb should be relaxed, only lightly holding the grip. And the throttle grip should be diagonal to your hand, not 90 degree. Hold and turn the throttle like when you turn door knob.

If you are holding the throttle grip with something like  a hand clinched in the fist, you can not control the throttle delicately.
And if your arms are stretched out, there's no way you can control the throttle while turning. (especially left turn, as your already stretched arm will be stretched further more.)

Your elbows need to be relaxed, your right wrist needs to be able to move freely and precisely. You may have to lean forward more than you are doing now. If you still feel like arms are stretched out, or lean forward position is too uncomfortable, then you need a different bar.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »

Fantastic illustrations  bow down

They should be stickied somewhere!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
zeoniks

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »

All right. I read your postings here.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=51636.0
I *think* I sort of understand (what you feel like) your problem here.

I'd say, change the handle bar first. And check your riding position, the way you hold & turn the throttle grip.

Do you play tennis ? Golf ? Shooting hand guns? Use knives for cooking ? If you do, you'd get the idea of what I'm trying to explain.
You need to grip starting with little finger, then ring finger. Then, middle & index finger, thumb should be relaxed, only lightly holding the grip. And the throttle grip should be diagonal to your hand, not 90 degree. Hold and turn the throttle like when you turn door knob.

If you are holding the throttle grip with something like  a hand clinched in the fist, you can not control the throttle delicately.
And if your arms are stretched out, there's no way you can control the throttle while turning. (especially left turn, as your already stretched arm will be stretched further more.)

Your elbows need to be relaxed, your right wrist needs to be able to move freely and precisely. You may have to lean forward more than you are doing now. If you still feel like arms are stretched out, or lean forward position is too uncomfortable, then you need a different bar.

The last photo represents EXACTLY how I'm feeling when I'm riding it. The only way I can comfortably reach the bars is if I physically seat my crotch on the bottom of the tank. I do believe I need to lean forward more as well, but my arms still feel a bit outstretched unless I am in a very aggressive lean position (ie. stomach flat on tank) and my crotch is seated directly against the tank.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: