Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countersteering  (Read 4769 times)
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »

Hi.. i have a beginners question about countersteering. When it says to "push " on the bar does it mean push down or forward??
Thanks.....
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »

If your arms are loose, flapping elbows, it should be forward.

Monsters have a long reach to the bars, which could mean that your arms are straighter than they 'should'.
If so, you will be pushing down and forward because of the straight arms.
Straight arms is not the best way to exercise smooth steering inputs.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Ducgirl

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »

Thanks for the input. It makes sense about the straight arms and the forward pressure to make the turn. The countersteering stuff is a little confusing at the beginning. Roll Eyes
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:31 PM »

Thanks for the input. It makes sense about the straight arms and the forward pressure to make the turn. The countersteering stuff is a little confusing at the beginning. Roll Eyes

Yes, it is, but also important to do right if you want riding to be smooth = safe = fun  Dolph

Many of us spend years working on techniques before we feel that we're in control.

If you're able to take classes, that will speed things up. Lee Parks' book Total Control has helped many riders.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:58 AM »

Lee Parks book, and classes if they come to your area are good.

A simple experiment you can do on your own would bit to find a large empty parting lot. In that lot you can experiment a bit. Get up to speed, say 20 mph or a bit more, and hold constant throttle) then lightly press on the side of the par you wish to go. Voila, very basic counter-steer just occurred. As you gain comfort and facility with that most basic form, then you can start to play with countering your counter. If you're turning to the right (pressure on right bar) give a nudge to the left. You'll find the bike straighten up in direct proportion to your input on the left bar. 

If you just ease off the right, the bike will just ease back up. If you apply pressure to the left you'll find the bike right more quickly. If you hold or increase the pressure on the left, then you'll soon find yourself in a left turn.

Just remember when doing any of this - look where you want to go. Don't look at your front wheel or just in front.. as that's where you *will* go. Like they say in the MSF - eye's up! Look through the turn.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »

You can also practice countersteering on a bicycle, if you are more comfortable on one.  Most people do it on a bicycle without being aware of it. Smiley

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
AJ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »

You can also practice countersteering on a bicycle, if you are more comfortable on one.  Most people do it on a bicycle without being aware of it. Smiley

Yes!! I was confused by countersteering until I stopped thinking about the "counter" and the "steering" and thought about it in terms of how I automatically *push* on my bicycle handlebars to **lean** the bike in a turn.
Smiley

It was great meeting "The Dude" at long last.   She brought us some epic beer.
Ducgirl

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips! i will get the book also. I like the idea of going out on a bicycle and trying it out....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: