Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 05:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 237795 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1035 on: July 01, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

Ass end is way up there. I’d need a pogo stick to get in it.  Cheesy
That's the way they make trucks these days,

It's the only thing I don't like about my F-150.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1036 on: July 30, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »

I just saw the new Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a 2.8 turbodiesel.

I am stoked!  It's a very nice truck...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #1037 on: August 10, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »

Lucky Aussie bastards!!!

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
GK

« Reply #1038 on: August 11, 2018, 04:35:00 AM »

Ranger sells like hot cakes here!

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1039 on: August 11, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »

while i would love to have the need and $ to splurge on a hopped up diesel midsize, the reality is that I could live with a $2000 handme down pickup, if it werent for the fact that so few exist out there that it just doesnt really exist (a reliable one that is).

So I test drove the Z71 Colorado, 2018 model year in both gas and diesel back to back. The colorado is an awesome car, but the interior is nothing when compared to a toyota, and Im not to keen on the driving position of the toyota, so its out of the questino for me.

Back to the colorado, I thought the diesel would have a lot more grunt, but the reality is that it doesn't. The only instance I could see the diesel torque (about 100 ft-lbs more) come into play is from hauling a heavy load. But lets face it, who hauls that much crap on a regular basis and needs a diesel midsize? Very  few people is the answer. Especially with that premium overhead of ~$3500.

Back on topic, I'm in the market for a vehicle, and I could pull the trigger on the new colorado, 2018 for is $36,000 Z71 with leather seats to be exact (leather seats is a new 2018 option). OR, i can buy the 2017 with 45,000 mile, cloth seats and all else being equal....for $26000.

Bare in mind, the power train warranty is 5Y/60K. Which means that I have 15K of powertrain warranty on the used, easy to gobble up in a bit over a year.

Is it worth the extra $10K? Its a hard pill to swallow and seems like I'm just throwing away money.

The used Diesel 2016 Colorados are also within the realm of affordability for me, and while I love the thought of it, i dont know if its actually worth the premium both in the upfront cost, and at the pump. Is it worth it to capture some resell value? Given the fact that I am not going to tow anything more than my bikes? Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:23:58 AM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1040 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »

If you're not hauling/towing anything heavy, a diesel engine isn't worth the added cost IMO.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1041 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »

I don't think diesel is worth it.

Someone buy mine  Tongue

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #1042 on: August 13, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »

In all honesty, I don't care that much about the diesel.

I do want to see the Raptor come to the US.  I would hope that it would be more than the 200 hp diesel the downundsrers are getting.  Not necessarily the 4xx hp of the F- Raptor, but something insanely fun, proportional to what the Cyclone was back in its day. Evil

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1043 on: August 14, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »

its not a whole lot of room and all diesels need a turbo to have decent power.

Heres the new update.

2018 Gasser is the same price as the 2018 Diesel with incentives!

What then if the prices are the same? The premium only comes at the pump (for a measibly 4mpg gain), but chipping the diesel can easily put it at 250HP, which is a lot closer to the 300HP rating of the v6.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1044 on: August 14, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »

You might want to pencil out anticipated maintenance costs. Diesel will typically run more.

My oil changes are $80 or so.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1045 on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »

Ive never owned a diesel truck and I thought that these modern cars cant really be maintained by even a decent shade tree mechanic because of all the electronics on them and the special tools needed to communicate with the sensors and computers.

So the downside of a diesel is

1) higher fuel cost
2) extra cost of DEF
3) more oil used per oil change
4) the extra cost of potential repair if the turbo goes
5) higher component costs since they are not in common use

I guess I am too stupid to own a diesel small truck because a diesel small truck is a novelty item!

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1046 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »

Ive never owned a diesel truck and I thought that these modern cars cant really be maintained by even a decent shade tree mechanic because of all the electronics on them and the special tools needed to communicate with the sensors and computers.

So the downside of a diesel is

1) higher fuel cost
2) extra cost of DEF
3) more oil used per oil change
4) the extra cost of potential repair if the turbo goes
5) higher component costs since they are not in common use

I guess I am too stupid to own a diesel small truck because a diesel small truck is a novelty item!

1.  Higher fuel cost but higher MPG and longer maintenance cycles.  You can expect 20-30% better mpg.  Maintenance cycles are usually 2/3x longer across the board.
2.  DEF has gone way down in price.  I put in about a gallon every 5-6000 miles.  That's $10-12 by me.
3.  More oil, but oil changes are 1 per year.
4.  Same price as any other turbo. 
5.  This is the only real issue -- not enough of them on the road to bring the cost down.

Plus they are charging premiums for entry.  A diesel model should not be 25% more just because it's diesel. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1047 on: July 10, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »

while i would love to have the need and $ to splurge on a hopped up diesel midsize, the reality is that I could live with a $2000 handme down pickup, if it werent for the fact that so few exist out there that it just doesnt really exist (a reliable one that is).

Thats me. I love my ol' POS '94 Ford Courier/Mazda BT50 4x4. Underpowered but ok 2.6 12 valve injected petrol motor with small cab for luggage or little passengers. Did a river crossing in it. It's great.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #1049 on: September 29, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »

Not diesel  Undecided If you take the battery out it won’t run so I will call it a hybrid  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: