Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That was weird object in the middle of the road while riding  (Read 22399 times)
ab
ab

ab

« on: August 31, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »

Dark.  High-way not lit well section.  I am riding one hand.  Chilling.  Hmm what the heck is that thing in the middle of my lane.  Oh snap, a freakin' dining room table laying on its side in the middle of the lane.  Quickly swerved around it. 

Glad it was not a group ride.  That is exactly why I never ride close to others and make sure to maintain staggered formation and maintain distance as much as possible.

Ofcourse after a few miles making a left turn just as the light turns red, the on-coming apparently had the same thought and guns it and i am in the turn.  For some reason, I did not freak out and gased a bit and he swerved a bit and avoided a head-on. 

Crappy day I guess.

What's the weird object you saw in the middle of the road while on bike ?

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »

We were out and saw a funny bump in the road.

Turned out it was an old soviet anti personnel land mine.  They had buried it wrong.  OD folks came out and detonated it. 

This was in Lebanon.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »

Suv turned sideways in the middle lane with no lights on.. on LIE west bond..  the street lights we're out in that section.. luckily truck had some chrome accents wich let me see it just in time.. car behind me wasn't so lucky as I heard the screeching tires and boom..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:21:50 AM »

new york state thruway, double ladder across both lanes. not very weird, just extremely dangerous...

WarrenJ

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »

Had about a 40 lb snapping turtle in my lane yesterday.  No room for him in the backpack though.  They are good eats!

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:34 AM »

32' Extension ladder and two cars skidding sideways to avoid it after it fell off a pickup truck on 495.

Contractors bag full of cut up 2 x 4s, drywall and insulation debris.  Car in front of me swerved just in time as did I.  The douche behind me in a Black VW Golf wasn't so lucky.  I call him a douche because he didn't want to let me merge into semi congested traffic, finally I squeezed in and he tailgated me for several hundred feet.  All I could see was a huge puff of drywall dust, flying insulation and 2 x 4s. 

(BTW, I looked over Ben's car just to make sure it wasn't him) 

Grin

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »

that is karma.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »

Yeah, I was a little surprised that I didnt hit the bag.....

Evil

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

I stay clear of pick up trucks with tools and ladder etc tied down.  I do not trust it is secure and assume it will get me.  I try avoid it as much as possible.

Ducatiz - r u serious, a land mine?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:47:00 PM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

wasnt on a bike, but the weirdest thing i've driven over was this huge python in the middle of the highway in kuala lumpur.  saw it at the last second, couldnt swerve, and there was just this "*thump thump*.  my friend in the passenger seats just looks at me and says, was that what i think it was?, i say yeah... and then we just look ahead and keep on going.  haha, thats what really put the fact that i wasnt living in the us anymore into perspective.

and ducatiz... that's nuts.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:35:12 AM »

I stay clear of pick up trucks with tools and ladder etc tied down.  I do not trust it is secure and assume it will get me.  I try avoid it as much as possible.

Ducatiz - r u serious, a land mine?

yes, but considering we were being shot at, it wasn't a big surprise.

the surprise was that they had bungled it and put the fuse in wrong as well, so it was basically just a speedbump.

drunkfatguy

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »

Not on the bike but in the F250, thought the object looked like a cardboard box . Turned out to be a semi flattened tailgate off a Toyota Pickup.
Desmo Demon

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

Was riding home from work a little after 5 am when I pass a tractor-trailer and he starts flashing his lights at me for no apparent reason. I slow down just a tad, but not much. The retaining wall in the middle of the Interstate is blocking my view of the road ahead as it curves left. As I round the curve, I see a U-Haul truck ahead in the emergency lane and I look at it out of curiosity to see what is wrong. Just as I look at the road again, I am faced with a complete wheel assembly, still attached to the hub, that had come off of the huge U-Haul truck. I had no time to react and luckily miss the wheel while going 50-60 mph by less than a foot. The trucker I'd just passed was trying to warn me. From that day forward, I take heed when a trucker starts flashing his lights at me.

Places I've been on two wheels:

IBA #32735
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

yes, but considering we were being shot at, it wasn't a big surprise.

law school was evidently a lot more hardcore back in the day

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »

law school was evidently a lot more hardcore back in the day

lol, that was about a decade before law school!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: