Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 05:19:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War of the Rats  (Read 52667 times)
RAT900
Post Whore

« on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »

Ugh....shuddering...just had horrible nightmares

well my dear sweet daughter, her child and husband moved into their new home in West Asheville

So I spent the past week at my vacated house in A-ville proper, cleaning it up and getting my furniture in it to spend more time there to begin the final leg of the restoration which is the interior work

Since the baby was born nearing 2 years ago they (daughter and SIL) have been doing what is referred to as "attachment parenting"  whatever the make the beast with two backs that means...

I do know it means that nothing else gets maintained for nearly 2 years except the needs of the second coming of the Christ-Child, her son

So I have a basement that is still filled with left over lumber from the exterior restoration,,,scrap wood that I wanted to pitch into a 30 yard dumpster, but SIL lectured me on wastefulness, plus it is piled wall-to-wall with all my S-I-L's possessions, favorite old electric motors, blacksmithing equipment etc etc...I mean PACKED!...the guy has selective hoarding issues

and a yard that is completely overgrown

now my daughter felt it was proper and correct to have a composting heap down by the bottom edge of the property,

she planted various fruit and vegetable beds all around my yard (that I envisioned as a world class croquet lawn course)

and she also created a "pond"....

behind the raised Toolshed that we built, my S-I-L kept many jugs and two 55 gallon drums of used cooking oil harvested from local restaurants to run his bio-diesel conversions

now these things are all well and good out in the countryside....but in an urban setting.........

I asked her to refrain from pretending she was in some bucolic commune and to deal with urban reality

fast forward......

a year or so ago they bulldozed a leftover 30 or 40 unit 1960's era 2 story Great Society housing project that was in tumble-down condition...

it was about a half-mile up the road

they gave the tenants a relocation...flattened the place with bulldozers and the city sold the land to developers for upper income property development

I was told this was in the works when I bought my house in 2006...yippee property value jackpot finally...well if we weren't in the second great depression maybe

well the city moved the two-legged tenants out...

but not the four-legged ones...they were left behind to fend for themselves

So when my daughter called me to lament the dislocation of society's victims (oh jeez spare me) and the bulldozing of their clump of failed social experiment up the road...well my response was to tell her to IMMEDIATELY

clear-cut the nuts and berries,

rip out her make the beast with two backsing reflecting pond and to get the pond drained and filled in

and to shovel her composting heap/dump into bags and get it off the land

I would have told her to get the cooking grease drums off the property but I had no idea they were there behind the shed

But I am a paranoid old worrier....what do I know....nothing was done

So guess who found paradise in my yard and under my shed?

Guess who has been probing my packed and cluttered basement?

Yes the rats.....fat squeaking Norwegian legacies of Lyndon Johnson's ridiculous Great Society Program

She did not bother telling me I was right...

and so you can imagine my surprise and delight as I was destroying a brand new Home Depot lawnmower last week

by using it as a bush-hog in the yard...

a large (well-fed I might add) fat make the beast with two backsing jumbo rat bounded out of a vegetable patch I was nearing with the lawnmower

I chased the make the beast with two backser with the lawnmower across the yard until I hit a rock half-buried and the mower stopped with a loud clang...

the rock discovery and ensuing loud clang of the blade being destroyed was frequent...I need to go get a replacement blade now

all the "gardens" (rat feeding stations) and the "pond" (rat refreshment station) were lined with rocks...but now hidden under tall weed grass of neglect

landmines

marched into the house...called an exterminator....told him to bring Sarin gas canisters, Mustard gas, flame throwers and edible poisons in bulk, I told him it was ok to bring .22's with hicap magazines loaded with snake-shot too, and night-vision gear....he laughed

but he did come over.....after reviewing the situation he told me he had seen much worse....so I asked him if he ever worked the now-flattened project up the road to find "worse"

Seems my colony is living under the tool shed and that is its main base of operations...

my neighbor across the street told me that he had them too but got a bunch of cats....

I am sorry but the make the beast with two backsers I saw (saw 2 more during my stay) would take down a cat in short order...you need some trained and dedicated Rat Terriers to work with this crew of ghetto pets

but the cats may have served to annoy the neighbor's rats enough to make them move over to my Rodent Resort

so the poison is laid out in my basement and around the shed...let's see if that works....I have sprayed down every shred of underbrush, poison ivy, vine and scrub plant with EPA Super Fund types of plant killers to eliminate ground cover

I am renting a 30 yard dumpster and have told my SIL that when he returns from vacation with my daughter and the Christ Child the shit in the basement either goes to his new place or into the dumpster by a Sept 15 drop dead date...

make the beast with two backs their goddam conceits and notions of recycling and organic gardening...

scurrying rats and monster cockroaches swimming up into the toilet bowl were part of my childhood overseas...I have worked too long and too hard to have that shit NOT be part of my life...ever make the beast with two backsing again

Next project is tearing down the shed after we have a sufficient body-count of rodents...to do it now would probably inspire the Colony of Rodentia to orchestrate an uprising and launch a counter-attack at the house for new shelter

For now letting them think it is BAU with extra new food sources is the best strategy

fortunately my step-daughter has moved into the house for maybe a few months or longer...she is normal...

and she is not afraid of dealing with rats/mice etc having lived for 7 years in Philly's Germantown....God Bless her  

here is the current battlefield over a year ago when we were painting the high end of the house....and the Shed of Rodentia....the blue drums were water barrels for the organic gardens (rat feeding stations)

more to come.....

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:54:11 AM by RAT900 » Logged

This is an insult to the Pez community
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:08 AM »

When I moved to Madison, WI a few years ago, I bought a little house sight unseen. Turned out to be a great house since I made money on it selling it after 3 years in the height of the housing crash.

BUT that first winter sucked. The crazy chick that lived there before me was one of those hippie commune types. My newly acquired back yard was a "Certified Wildlife Habitat" complete with native plants weeds, compost pile pile of rotting plant material, and a certificate from the National Wildlife Federation. I had chipmunks, rabbits, birds, racoons, possums, toads and HALF THE WORLDS POPULATION OF FIELD MICE. Mice that decided it was easier to move into the house during the winter than to tough it out in their certified wildlife habitat.

Move ahead to spring for better living through chemistry...RoundUp to the rescue! No more habitat = no more mice, no more possums, no more racoons, fewer mosquitoes, and a happier homeowner. Grin

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
WarrenJ

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »

If you have an area that other desireable critters can't get to, put some radiator fluid in some shallow tins and pour a bit of milk on top.  Throw in a few nuts or gobs of peanut butter for attractant.  Kills rats dead, dead, dead  in volume. 

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »

RAT, you have my deepest sympathies. Is there anything good and true in this world that a hippie can't destroy?  Roll Eyes

Respeta mi autoridad!
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »

If you have an area that other desireable critters can't get to, put some radiator fluid in some shallow tins and pour a bit of milk on top.  Throw in a few nuts or gobs of peanut butter for attractant.  Kills rats dead, dead, dead  in volume. 

Oh I hear ya!  I was thinking of the same sort of thing...... peanuts soaked in anti-freeze served on a bed of peanut butter with parsley garnish.....slid under Castle Rodentia (the shed)....

and the other pets do not have access so it is do-able

I will let the exterminator take the first pass on the problem

then I will see if termination with extreme prejudice is warranted

RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:21 AM »

RAT, you have my deepest sympathies. Is there anything good and true in this world that a hippie can't destroy?  Roll Eyes

Very little I fear....

remember the fastest roads to hell are always paved

with the finest of delusional self-flattering good intentions

I will have my croquet tournament yet!!! 

On vibrant green manicured fields of play
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:24:58 AM by RAT900 » Logged

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 05:58:22 AM »

I will have my croquet tournament yet!!! 

On vibrant highly chemical-fertilizer-enhanced green manicured fields of play

Fixed.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »

Fixed.

EXACTLY!!!!

or in the words of a Ford Agency model I once dated....

its not about how good you feel,

its about how good you look  laughingdp
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:04:39 AM by RAT900 » Logged

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting

Hmmm.

Sounds great. No doubt resulting in a totally dependent, socially inept, naive individual with no sense of discovery or real view of how the world really works.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

Hmmm.

Sounds great. No doubt resulting in a totally dependent, socially inept, naive individual with no sense of discovery or real view of how the world really works.

EXACTLY....reality shock should be considerable when dealing with the majority of the world that was not raised in fluffy bunny world...each generation thinks it has the right formula

It will be up to Grandpa Rat to disabuse the poor child of all its parents' idiotic fantastical and craptastical notions of Bambi-Land

AJ

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

Hmmm.

THIS

So, coddling the grandson, neglecting your property, storing significant quantities of flammable material, hoarding crap in your basement and running Rancho Rodentia?

/facepalm

RAT, you have your work cut out for you.
Good luck, and keep us updated

It was great meeting "The Dude" at long last.   She brought us some epic beer.
Triple J
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »

This sounds like the type of parenting that created Scott Peterson.  Tongue

I think if you need to read a book and/or subcribe to a particular theory on how to be a parent, then you probably shouldn't be a parent.  coffee

This part cracks me up:

According to Arnall (2007), discipline means teaching the child by gentle guidance, such as re-direction, natural consequences, listening and modeling, and not by punitive means such as spanking, time-out, grounding, and punitive consequences.

I think my neighbor did this with her son. She also spent about $100K to send him to a boot camp for a year when he was 16, so he didn't end up drugged out and eventually dead (like his best friend did).
JEFF_H

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »

If you hate them so much....how did you select your screenname??

I actually thought this was about this book i just read, and thought it would be interesting to discuss it-
http://www.amazon.com/War-Rats-David-L-Robbins/dp/055358135X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314294894&sr=8-1

<wanders back out...>
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »

THIS

So, coddling the grandson, neglecting your property, storing significant quantities of flammable material, hoarding crap in your basement and running Rancho Rodentia?

/facepalm

RAT, you have your work cut out for you.
Good luck, and keep us updated

You have to understand my ex-wife dropped them off at my fiance's door step 3 days before Christmas

with their worldly possessions in trash bags....

I was in the hospital at the time on IV Drip with blood poisoning from an infected burn on my finger,

my twins were 7 1/2 years old and suffered some serious neglect from "mom" for the final 2 of those 3 years alone with "mom"

So I understand that much of what my daughter (as a mother) is doing, is in direct reaction to the mountain of shit upbringing I couldn't offset for her until she and her brother came to live with me

I have tried to tell her you can't raise your child in retaliation,,to try to slay the demons of your own past....you might wind up just creating a different kind of demon

but she isn't a good listener

RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »

If you hate them so much....how did you select your screenname??

I actually thought this was about this book i just read, and thought it would be interesting to discuss it-
http://www.amazon.com/War-Rats-David-L-Robbins/dp/055358135X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314294894&sr=8-1

<wanders back out...>

1996 Monster 900 rat bike...great book decent movie too

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: