Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 10:18:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ti Monster Frame*Completed Pics*Headed for DucStock  (Read 72299 times)
Moto Motivo

If You Can't Buy It, Build It.

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »

waytogo Great looking frame and very cool seat.  What did you do with the VIN #?

Perfect Functional Two Wheel Art
      www.motomotivo.com
Destructobot

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »

Wow, absolutely amazing piece of fabrication.  This is leagues beyond the ham fisted stuff on the bike build tv shows.  I've always lusted after a nice Indy Fab Ti hardtail mountain bike.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »

ummm...WOW!
CromoMann

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

Just finished the Ti frame for my S4RS:

Is there a nomination process for 'Hero Member' status?

That is f'n gorgeous - can't wait for the final presentation.
 applause applause applause
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:30:54 PM by CromoMann » Logged
AJ

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »

... What did you do with the VIN #?

I was wondering that too...

It was great meeting "The Dude" at long last.   She brought us some epic beer.
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »

Custom made frame would mean a custom made bike, and would probably qualify for a brand spankin new vin as it is technically, at this point, a new bike.  Much like building a kit car or chopper.

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
pitbull

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 04:48:16 AM »

wow.......I'm currently rebuilding my cromo and just finished stripping and cutting tabs on the frame and then getting it powdercoated. Your Ti frame just looks so much more beautiful...........I am seriously jealous.

That tail is damn sexy too.

awesome work!

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
AJ

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:11 AM »

Custom made frame would mean a custom made bike, and would probably qualify for a brand spankin new vin as it is technically, at this point, a new bike.  Much like building a kit car or chopper.

Makes sense, thanks Punx!

It was great meeting "The Dude" at long last.   She brought us some epic beer.
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »

....but is it straight?  Grin

Duc Buz

Bad Cop, No Duc

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 07:28:28 AM »

That tail section is icing on the cake.  Beautiful, man.  If you have to paint it leave some showing in the paint design.

11B4P (Ret) US Army
2003 620 Dark (Matte Silver)
Oldfisti
Some call it a sub, dagwood, hoagie or footlong. I just call it my...

My mom says I'm a catch.

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »

ummm...WOW!

^^^  What howie said!

bow down bow down bow down bow down bow down drool drool drool drool drool bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon applause applause applause applause applause applause applause waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo

It's like I keep saying:  Those who would sacrifice a free range session for a giant beer, deserve neither free range time nor a giant beer.
i have had guys reach back and grab my crotch in an attempt to get around me. i'll either blow in their ear or ask them politely to let go of my wang.
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

Beautiful.  applause 

ArcFab (Doug Cook) used to make Ti frames for Supersports. His complete bikes were extremely light. Your welds look even better than his.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »

Beautiful.  applause 

ArcFab (Doug Cook) used to make Ti frames for Supersports. His complete bikes were extremely light. Your welds look even better than his.
Dougs frames were about 9 ish pounds with bearing races.

Ever see either in person?

This is obviously quality work ,but pictures can lie...just sayin'.

I was wondering if the frame has been blasted or glass beaded, or if it was welded in a chamber?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »

No doubt those welds were shielded REALLY well Smiley waytogo

Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

OK, I'll try to answer some of the questions:

Is it rigid enough: I think so. The main tubes from the head to the engine mounts are 1.25" and the wall is .005" thicker than the stock frame. Ti is stronger than steel but a little more flexible so you can't just substitute Ti for steel and get the same stiffness. I also had all of the gussets cut with a water jet from 1/8" plate.

VIN#: In the state of Kansas I just have to have it inspected by the Highway Patrol and they will issue a new VIN#. If I want to sell the frames I need to issue a MSO. There is no federal regulation on frames, it is up to each state. Some states require that the MSO come from a bonded company. In Kansas all you need is a bill of sale to get a VIN# for a frame. I have found a company that will sell you VIN#'s for frames. It's $1,400 for the first VIN and $200 for each one after that.

DucPainter:The frame was not welded in a chamber. I used a gas lens in the torch and 10 seconds post purge with UHP Argon. I only welded 3/4 to 1" at a time to stay within the coverage of the gas lens. I also injected argon inside the tube in the places that I could. If you look close in the picture below you can see where I screwed a fitting into the jig to purge the inside of the head tube. That head tube is machined from a piece of Ti pipe, not a thin piece of tube with an aluminum insert.

IMO,pictures usually make welds look worse than they actually are,especially on shiny metal.

The frame was not beadblasted.I buffed the weld area off with a Scotchbrite wheel and then sanded with some 320 paper and then a Scotcbrite pad. A thin coat of WD-40 makes it look nice.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: