Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ti Monster Frame*Completed Pics*Headed for DucStock  (Read 71734 times)
Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

How do you keep the air away from the backs of the welds on that tubing when you can't flood the area with argon?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

How do you keep the air away from the backs of the welds on that tubing when you can't flood the area with argon?

I'd say he's backfilling through that brass QD fitting on the bushing on the top of the steering head tube.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »

I'd say he's backfilling through that brass QD fitting on the bushing on the top of the steering head tube.

I saw that but didn't quite make the connection.  So, wherever you're going to make a connection, you just drill a hole to let the gas pass through on the inside?

Note to self.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

That's what I would do.
I'd also tape up any other unwelded joints to keep the leakage down to a minimum.

But whether that's actually what Randy does, well.... maybe he'll tell us.
Or maybe already has, and I'm remembering.  laughingdp

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

You guys already figured it out... Wink It's pretty hard to get it everywhere. I know some guys that weld Ti in heat exchangers for a living and they don't worry about the back side of the weld. Just like everything else it depends on who you talk to. If you want maximum strength it needs to be flooded on the back side IMHO.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »

You guys already figured it out... Wink It's pretty hard to get it everywhere. I know some guys that weld Ti in heat exchangers for a living and they don't worry about the back side of the weld. Just like everything else it depends on who you talk to. If you want maximum strength it needs to be flooded on the back side IMHO.

I agree. Any oxygen that gets to the weld, even the back side, just f's it all up.

Its hard to take a chance on a frame failure at triple digit speeds. You're doing the right thing waytogo

oorahduc

« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »

Any updates on the SC Ti frame? That SR4S is a superb work of art.
Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »

Any updates on the SC Ti frame? That SR4S is a superb work of art.

It is complete and the owner has had it a couple of months. I should have pics of the completed bike soon. From what I have seen it is amazing! A few of the build pics:

Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

I think I just blew the zipper on my jeans!   waytogo drool

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »

I wouldn't even finish that and just hang it in a museum as is.  Simply beautiful.  Deserves a tear:  Cry

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »

I wouldn't even finish that and just hang it in a museum as is.  Simply beautiful.  Deserves a tear:

Just wait until you see it complete! It is something else!
Jonathan

« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »

Randy, are your fixtures one off? How are you designing the frames, in Cad software?

Nice work btw. I weld bicycle frames and back purge exactly like you do.
Randy@StradaFab

« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

Randy, are your fixtures one off? How are you designing the frames, in Cad software?

I build the jig to fit a stock frame, so there is no need to re-design anything. The stock frames are very well triangulated and I am not looking to use super thin wall thicknesses like a bicycle frame. On the frame in the picture I did design the mount for the single shock.
TheArsalan

whaaat

« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »

How long did the Monster frame take you to finish?
I think this needs to be put into production..

2000 M900ie

ʘʘ
 ͝
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: