Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 09:10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1924 San Luis Obispo Dirt Track (Automotive Content)  (Read 3248 times)
Langanobob

« on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »

I know there are some California Central Coast residents and Cal Poly grads here.  This video showing the old Exposition Park race track is great.  I haven't been back to SLO in many years and can't quite place where the track was.   Never heard of it before someone emailed me this video link.

Exposition Park Raceway San Luis Obispo
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:49:03 AM »

Geez!  If you're not in the front of the pack, you can't see a thing!!!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
orangelion03
My girlfriend loves my

A Most Magnificent Monster

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Cool!  Love old racing films, particularly of long-gone venues! 

My friends  in Atascadero, Larry and Joyce, live on the site of the former Atascadero Speedway.  You can see the grading for the grandstands from their patio.  Joyce hosts a Facebook page for the Speedway where folks can post their memories, photos, etc.  Oh yeah, Larry is a CalPoly SLO grad (us CalPoly grads called it Slow Poly.  Then again, they called us Cow Piley)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/122856487743321/

VIVA LA EVOLUCION!!!
erkishhorde

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »

Vaguely looks like it might be around Los Osos Valley Rd and Foothill but there's nothing left of it out there if it was where I think it was. Spiffy.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
Langanobob

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »

I Googled it and found something that said there are still visible remnants of it out South Street at Meadow Park.  I don't know how old the information I found is and it is likely a shopping center now?  LOTS of changes since the 1920's.  Also, Ralph DePalma evidently set a world speed record at the SLO track. 
B.Rock

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »

Too cool. I remember Exposition Dr off South St, by Meadow Park. I guess that could be South Hill in the background.
I used to live maybe 1/2 a mile from there or so. Never knew about that. Super cool.

Cali - where I lay my Mac down.
erkishhorde

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »

I Googled it and found something that said there are still visible remnants of it out South Street at Meadow Park.  I don't know how old the information I found is and it is likely a shopping center now?  LOTS of changes since the 1920's.  Also, Ralph DePalma evidently set a world speed record at the SLO track.  

No shopping center out there yet and doubt there ever will be. If you googlemap it, you can see a relatively new housing track (compared to other houses across the street around the school). The brown part in the park is a new garden that they put in within the last 2 years. I've only wandered around the park a little but don't recall seeing anything that looked out of place for a park. *shrug*
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:08:29 PM by erkishhorde » Logged

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: