Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 03, 2024, 05:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project 900SS/SP refresh  (Read 41690 times)
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »

A few weeks ago, I found my old 95' 900ss/sp.  It was my actual first "big" bike, and I kepy it for nearly 7 years.  I ended up moving a few times in college, and didn't have a garage to keep her in, so I sold her.

Now, nearly 10 years later, I bought her back.  She's rough, and needs lots of love...but I'm ready to bring her back to better than new.

Here is the canvas:

Pretty dirty and ragged:

I started this morning around 8, by 10:30 I had her stripped down to major components

After a break to clean up and play with the kids, I'm headed back out to degrease the motor, pull the heads/jugs and sode blast everything in prep for some new VHT engine paint.  

Problems encountered so far:

Clutch slave cylinder has a attaching bolt that is stripped keeping it firmly attached to the left side cover.  Gotta rigure out how to get that out.

Front kickstand bracket/bolt was something the guy "found" and made work....meaning I'll need to drill and timecert the hole as it was buggered up pretty bad.

My plans are simply to clean clean CLEAN this thing up.  Fresh PC on the frame/front subframe, perhaps some PC on other bits as well.  

999 switches
minimal wiring

"CR" fairings

I have a lead on some cool bits too:

Ohlins forks from a 888SP
Marvic 3 spoke mag wheels
"Spaghetti" exhaust system

I have not decided colors yet, although I'm leaning towards a red frame with black or charcoal bodywork,  or a dark grey/gunmetal frame with red bodywork. 

Engine will be a darker grey than stock, and perhaps I'll slap on some cool old school mag side covers I found.

Questions:

The FCR's are NASTY dirty, but function wonderfully.  How can I clean the exterior of these while not screwing with the insides?

I'm thinking of going with pods, just for the clean-ness/sound.  Anyone done pods on the joined FCR's?

Any experience out there with the aftermarket bodywork?  I can't seem to find OEM stuff for sale that is "reasonable" in price.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:44:41 AM by TAftonomos » Logged

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »

Did pods on a Superlight, jetting was similar to the open air box I did on it previously.
It did lean things out a little more, but I had tuned on the rich side with the air box.
The bike had JE pistons, porting, Dynas, pipes.

I think stock colors, like when you first laid eyes on her.

2015 Scrambler 800
TAftonomos

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

Bike is now in pieces

Engine is apart, one head has been soda blasted.  I think I'm just gonna send the heads off for a valve job and cleanup, and hot-tank the jugs. 

Bonus?!?  The studs are all intact.  Not sure if they are stock or aftermarket, how would I tell?

Case has been degreased, but I havn't tackled the stripping/soda blasting just yet.  The bike is in pieces now, and after being up at 6am I'm beat.  Beer time!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »

Studs on the 95 M900 were stainless and fractured. Nice and shiney and hard but brittle. Ruined easi outs and cobalt drill bits trying to remove them, a job from hell. The ones you want have that dark hi tensile look.

Shiney = bad.

Retro fit part no: 766-100-12B or APE studs from Chris Kelley.

2015 Scrambler 800
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

Red frame with gunmetal bodywork sounds amazing.

I always enjoy your projects

Keep it up  waytogo

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

eh??
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »

eh??

Sploosh!!!

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Roaduser
will be back on the road june 16

02 m800 with extras

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »

i love that bike!! i recon it would draw massive credit to be seen riding that around.
TAftonomos

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »

Current state:

I was thinking of chopping off the frame in the back (after the 2 sections come together).  However, I'll then have no way to attach the tail tidy, taillight, etc.  I'll just leave it as is.  I trimmed half the pass-rearset attachment (left an attachment point for exhaust hanger) and the tabs for the crankcase breather (will be integrated into tail-tidy).

Heads go out tomorrow for re-fresh, same with cylinders.  I have to figure out if there is a way to retard timing, or scrap the JE piston idea and toss the stock slugs back in.  Bike only has ~6K miles on it, so I doubt it will be an issue.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »

I want the tank from the black/dark bike for my Sport1000!!

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

Moving the pick ups back 4mm will give you 2-3 deg retard on max advance allowing JEs. See bikeboy site for details. Or you can Igniteck and leave the pick ups alone.

2015 Scrambler 800
toodlepip

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »

popcorn
TAftonomos

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »

Thanks for the how-to on the ignition timing.  I'll go ahead with the studs and JE pistons now (stock bore).  Might not be the best solution (programmable) but it ought to work.

Ok, making progress.

Heads out for cleaning/refresh
Shock out for rebuild/correct spring (had one for a 165lb dude...I'm 220)

Rotors are nearly apart....need re-anodizing.  Any idea where I should send the carriers?  I bet that gold is going to be hard to match.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the wheels....they were half ass polished by the PO.....get them done well or have the PC'd silver or something.

Howellerman

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »

Cool project bike!

I too had an SP, one of the last before Pierre got a hold of the design, and remember that there was a rash of frame cracks. Ducati was going to replace mine, but would not pay for moving all the parts! So, I had it TIG welded locally for 50 bucks. Might as well check on it while you have it apart - the cracks on mine were on the upper frame tubes about an inch or so from the steering stem.
Triple J
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »

eh??

drool drool drool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: