Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with EVO (stalling, won't start)  (Read 2330 times)
EvilSteve
not so evil, not so steve

« on: August 13, 2011, 04:29:33 AM »

So having just picked my bike up and ridden 5 miles through heavy traffic on the West Side highway in NYC, my temperature gauge was indicating that it was bloody hot. Being that I was wearing full leather, that was something I was well aware of but thought I'd better go find somewhere to park for a while. As I got off at the 79th street exit, the bike stalled. I didn't think too much of it because I've stalled this bike a lot since I got it, combination of it being crap off idle and me being crap off idle too. Wink Pushed the bike through the intersection after trying in vain to get it to start and parked.

Trying to start the bike resulted in a clicking noise that didn't sound healthy or happy. I thought maybe it was hot and throwing a tantrum but alas, that wasn't the case as getting a drink and coming back in 20 revealed. I called the store, they came and got me. We couldn't do a whole lot about it as it was 8pm and the techs had gone home so it would have to wait until the following day.

The tech worked out (with some help from Ducati) that a hex head bolt was the culprit. A 5c hex head bolt killed my EVO. The problem with EVO was that the were wires being pushed quite hard against the hex head bolt (HHB) by a plastic cover. The HHB had pretty pointy edges. What happened was that when the bike heated up, the HHB melted through the insulation around some wiring which was then arcing (the HHB has clear signs of arcing). This meant that the bike wouldn't start.

The tech at my store replaced the bolt with the same one that's on the 696 & 796 (<- no problem with those bikes, they use a button head bolt) and viola (did you see what I did right there?) bike was good to go. This was a manufacturing/design fault with the EVO. Ducati has since released a service bulletin covering the replacement of this bolt and my store has already fixed the other EVOs they had in.

This was a couple of weeks ago, I've since put ~400 miles on the bike without any problem, well, except that I keep stalling the damn thing. Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:31:18 AM by EvilSteve » Logged

2011 M796
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »

Threadjack<I was at Ducati Triumph NY today oogling your old Triumph ST, tempting>threadjack

Glad the new crew got you up and running waytogo  Thanks for the post.
EvilSteve

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »

Hi Howie, I don't really think there's a thread to jack, just a post. Wink

The ST was a great bike for what I had it for - riding to San Francisco and back. Bunch of options on the thing too.

2011 M796
rubbersidedown

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »

Did the tech show you where the boot was located. Want to check mine out. Hadn't had that issue but would be good to know what to look for incase of something down the road.

2011 Monster 1100 Evo
EvilSteve

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »

On the left side of the bike, where the fuel drain hose is routed, there's a plastic cover that goes over several wires. I didn't see exactly where the bolt was under there but it was explained to me in detail.

In the pic below, the plastic housing is just behind the charcoal canister, you can see it behind the big white tube.

2011 M796
OgreRosso

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

Just picked up one like yours last Friday. Bought it used with 873 miles. A ride around the sellers neighborhood at low speed didn't disclose any problems. Took the EVO out today and it had engine vibration that was felt in the foot pegs, handlebars, and seat of the pants. In 6th gear at 75 mph vibrations are felt. No overheating or stalling. My KLR650 was smoother than the EVO. The nearest DUC dealer is 90 miles away so if there is anything to look for besides what's mentioned above please advise.
EvilSteve

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

If I were in 6th gear doing 75, I'd probably get vibrations too, actually I know I would. The bike is relatively even at 3500 rpm and then gets messy again up until 4000 rpm. Below 3500 it's pretty nasty. Go out for another ride and try riding @ 75 in 5th gear, you should find that the RPMs are >4000 and the bike is a lot smoother.

I'm taking mine in for service this week, I'm expecting it to smooth out some more. I also put some bar ends on it which should help a little with the vibrations.

2011 M796
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: