Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 06:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spark Plug Change - How to?  (Read 12879 times)
ab
ab

ab

« on: July 30, 2011, 12:05:29 AM »

Does anyone have any instructions on how to change spark plugs on monster ?  [pathetic to ask, yes I know]

I am trying to do on mine (620 2004) and was looking for detail tutorial with pics and/or video but did not find any.  Bought NKG sparks plugs.  So How do i check the gap and what should it be.

(i only know oil change but I am tired of paying and really want to learn basic repair and am taking first steps)  

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:29:05 AM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »

1.  Check the part number on the NGKs you bought.  It should be NG4339.
2.  Remove wires
3.  Remove old spark plugs
4.  Check gap on new plugs with a spark plug gap gauge, available at most auto parts stores or Sears.  I like the wire type.
5.  Install with a dab of anti seize, torque spec is 20 Nm.  No torque wrench?  !/4 turn after the plug seats will work.
6.  Push wires back on
7.   Dolph 
bikepilot

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:02:27 AM »

^  Some things are so basic I doubt anyone will have bothered to do a tutorial. Only things to make sure you don't do are 1) break the plug off in the head and 2) over-tighten the plug. 

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Langanobob

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »

For a seemingly basic process there sure are a lot of pitfalls.  Here are a few more potential mishaps that I've seen:

3)  Pulling the wire out of the boot, yanking it out of the crimp connector  instead of carefully removing the boot from the plug.

4)  Using too much anti-seize and getting it on the plug tip where it makes for a short circuit.

5)  Crossthreading the plug threads, ie, getting it started crooked in the threads and since aluminum is pretty soft, continuing to tighten it.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »

For a seemingly basic process there sure are a lot of pitfalls.  Here are a few more potential mishaps that I've seen:

3)  Pulling the wire out of the boot, yanking it out of the crimp connector  instead of carefully removing the boot from the plug.

4)  Using too much anti-seize and getting it on the plug tip where it makes for a short circuit.

5)  Crossthreading the plug threads, ie, getting it started crooked in the threads and since aluminum is pretty soft, continuing to tighten it.

Yep, basic is not fool proof.  My mother in law cross threaded a light bulb once.

Good point on the boot, particularly when dealing with carbon wires.  If the boot is stubborn a little twist before the pull usually works.  Anti seize is a good conductor.   Cross threading can be avoided by starting the plug by hand or turning it with a vacuum hose or piece of old spark plug wire on the end to extend your reach.

Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »

To add to what has been said

NEVER thread a spark plug using a tool if it can be avoided, do it by hand. If you absolutely have to use a tool (tight clearance) then use an old spark plug wire/boot and spin the wire to thread it. The wire won't allow it to crossthread because it will twist before that would happen.

ALWAYS support the head of the ratchet when tightening or loosening spark plugs. This way you make sure you keep the force pushing directly down onto the plug as it is turning. Failure to do this might allow a shear force to be applied which can crack/break the plug.

ALWAYS use a wire gapping tool, NEVER use those stupid ramped ones (they will turn the side electrode at a slight angle) or flat feeler gauges (because they are less accurate on a plug tip, easier to get a false reading if held at an angle).

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »

To add to what has been said

NEVER thread a spark plug using a tool if it can be avoided, do it by hand. If you absolutely have to use a tool (tight clearance) then use an old spark plug wire/boot and spin the wire to thread it. The wire won't allow it to crossthread because it will twist before that would happen.

ALWAYS support the head of the ratchet when tightening or loosening spark plugs. This way you make sure you keep the force pushing directly down onto the plug as it is turning. Failure to do this might allow a shear force to be applied which can crack/break the plug.

ALWAYS use a wire gapping tool, NEVER use those stupid ramped ones (they will turn the side electrode at a slight angle) or flat feeler gauges (because they are less accurate on a plug tip, easier to get a false reading if held at an angle).

As someone who once cross threaded a sparkplug on a go-cart at the age of 13, only to have the plug explode out of the engine when it turned over nearly killing my father, I agree to all of this.  Grin

Is this thing on?
aaronb

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

some of these posts actually sound like successfully changing your plugs is a heroic act. 

feel free to use a ramp type gap checker to check the gap, just don't use it to open up the electrode.  if you twist the electrode while measuring, you're doin' it wrong.   false readings from flat feeler gauges?  i guess it could happen if you're really uncoordinated, but remember, your gaping a spark plug.. +/- a few thou doesn't matter.

i also always use the socket and extension to spin the plug in by hand, then snap the ratchet on for snugging it up (i own 4 torque wrenches, but i'm a 1/4 turner) it at the end.  you'll know instantly if it is cross threaded.   

i live on the edge. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »

The reason why the wire gauge works better (at least on conventional plugs) is the electrode is often not all the true.  Admittedly, not so much in modern times.
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:44 AM »

I like to smear a LITTLE dielectric grease on the inside lip of the spark plug boots, too.  It helps keep out water and makes it easier to pull off next time.  Just don't slather it on....if you get any between the spark plug electrode and the contact on the wire (or coil if you have coil on plug) it will cause misfires.  Dielectric grease is nonconductive.

If you can't reach to start your plug by hand you can use a length of fuel or vacuum line of an appropriate size.  It should be a snug fit, but loose enought that you can pull it off once the plug is started. Just slip the porcelain of the spark plug into the hose and start screwing it in.  Once it's started, extract the hose and continue tightening with a socket.

Next, you can try valve adjustment!   waytogo

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »

another reason i asked was that recently a rider (on a Triumph) I know had to tear his engine apart because the tip of the spark plug broke off and ended up in the pistons smashed.  So I want to be sure I take off and put on and torque it correctly.

Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »

some of these posts actually sound like successfully changing your plugs is a heroic act. 

Not at all - but if someone is newb enough at these things, then you don't ASSume (drink) anything regarding their abilities.

feel free to use a ramp type gap checker to check the gap, just don't use it to open up the electrode.  if you twist the electrode while measuring, you're doin' it wrong.   false readings from flat feeler gauges?  i guess it could happen if you're really uncoordinated, but remember, your gaping a spark plug.. +/- a few thou doesn't matter.

No the ramp checker is still a stupid tool and feeler gauges are not the proper tool for the job. Can you use them? Sure, but why not use the right tool?

But what do I know, I've only been teaching people to wrench for about 2 decades...

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Not sure what the white stuff on the old spark plugs which indicates something is bad obviously.  The other one has oil in it so that is another problem.  Bike has been puffing air and hesitating at low rpm  :-(  Needs retune again. 

Spark plug - Ducati monster by ab_duc620M2004, on Flickr

take risks
She gagged on my

you can go faster

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

this thread is helpful to many.
just changed them today.
one a little oily, other looked a little rich.

2000 VFR 800 - wrecked
2007 Ducati Monster 695
annguye1

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »

Hey, thought I'd resurrect this instead of starting a new thread.  Doing a spark plug change on a 2005 Monster 620.  The gap is supposed to be 0.6-0.7 mm.  If my gap is at, say, 0.72 mm, should I adjust it?  I've been trying to push it down a little bit, but doesn't seem to be budging.  I don't want to apply too much force and close the gap too much.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: