Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:21:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any other women take passengers??  (Read 9717 times)
Embyr
has a very

« on: July 10, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »

So I know many of us started out riding cupcake before we got our own...  but do any other Duc women take passengers now?  I've been riding 5 years and last year started taking my (now ex) gf on the back...  she'd never been on a bike and ADORED it!!!
I was super careful, gave pre-ride instructions, she fit into all of my gear (jacket, helmet, gloves, i also got boots for her), and we went out at night to avoid traffic. It's VERY different with a passenger! But SO much fun...   I have a hard time not offering rides to everyone and their grandmother who shows interest now!!!
Bonwilder

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »

The very first time I rode a moto was with passenger.  I was a kid. My mom's boyfriend had a small cruiser and asked me if I wanted to ride it.  I said yes and hopped on.  To my dismay he hopped on the back.......it was strange.  I took off anyway....what the hell, I wanted to ride the bike.....we lived on a dead end street so the turn around at the end of the street was not smooth to say the least.  Otherwise my mom and I were goofing off one day and I was riding the kids around the neighborhood on her Triumph Bonneville, she hopped on and we rode around the neighborhood.  I have also had my kids on the back of the monster but only at slow speeds.  I can't imagine riding with someone of my weight or more on a superbike! I am sure it makes a difference if the person on the back is relaxed so the pre-ride instructions would be essential! I keep trying to get my husband to get on the back....just for entertainment lol.  He continues to decline the offer.  Dolph

05 S4r, 06 Sport Classic, 06 Back in Black Sport Classic, 06 Paul Smart, 08 848 track, 05 749r track, 12 1199 tricolore
Embyr
has a very

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »

How cool- I can't wait to take a kid someday!!

Yeah, my ex gf doesn't weigh too much more than me... it would definitely be harder with someone heavier (or easier with a light or little person, for that matter)!  I'm trying to convince another friend to ride with me- she wants to start riding and I think it'd be a good beginning. Smiley
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »

I've only taken passengers heavier than me...definitely a challenge.

Especially the one that was 2.25 times my weight who decided to start wiggling around while I was in a parking lot. Roll Eyes

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Bonwilder

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »

Wow! No kidding.  Slow speeds are difficult on the ducs with no one on the back seat! When my daughter was on the back it was no big deal however we just went throught the neighborhood to school...in TX that means straight, then turn, then straight again lol.

05 S4r, 06 Sport Classic, 06 Back in Black Sport Classic, 06 Paul Smart, 08 848 track, 05 749r track, 12 1199 tricolore
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

I took my daughter cupcake on an oz monster ride south from Sydney, through royal national park, up Macquarie pass, down into kangaroo valley, as part of a group at a fairly good clip.

That was enormous fun. She cupcakes better than I ride. It was like she could read my mind and knew exactly when to lean into corners.

Alas she has her own bike now, so no more cupcake.

My son, otoh, is hopeless as cupcake. I swear he leans out of turns.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
reddog

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »

old thread i know but it is a little interesting. Im 50kg and i used to take my best mate who is a fatty at around 100kg on my old honda 400/4 and we used to tear around everywhere.Sometimes the old staffy used to come too and sit on the tank. that was nearly 25 years ago. now i have a new monster with the same old friend ha ha she still a fatty and there is no way i would put her on there , the old confidence is not the same as it used to be Sad Im sure my actual red dog would love to come with me too but he weighs nearly as much as i do and theres no room for big red dogs on the tank of a monster  Grin
jsanford

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »

Reviving it as it's interesting--

I've taken passengers, but never on the Ducati. I think its light weight and short wheelbase make me nervous about riding two-up. 

I started out three or so years into my riding career and had a friend--another rider, even--who was willing to practice with me two-up in a parking lot on my F800.  It was fine until he missed my signal that I was going to try an emergency brake; but we just knocked helmets. I'm amazed that he was willing to be practice ballast as I'm not sure I could return the favor for someone else.

I took my SO out early on in our relationship and the local P.D. followed us for a bit--I don't think they'd ever seen a 6'2" passenger before. We got stares at traffic lights a lot.

I took my father out riding a couple of times on a Moto Guzzi Breva--low seat and footpegs were easier for him to get on and off--he loved it.

Always I tell passengers that I'm going to give them instructions, whether they're experienced or not, before we ride and that it's for both our safety.  My SO's brother was the most difficult passenger--he was stiff as he didn't want to accidentally touch me somewhere that wouldn't be appropriate next to you on a couch, and then started climbing off the bike at a stop sign without signalling first.

I'd LOVE to take my niece and nephew out but my BIL is a doctor who did his residency in southern California, so I'll probably have to wait until they're eighteen. I did warn him that my parents' forbidding us from riding motorcycles as children wasn't a good predictor of our adult behavior.

'08 695 - Seattle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: