Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 11:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need Steering Damper on a '05 Monster 620?  (Read 18823 times)
bushyar15

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »

Lots of good suggestions in this thread..

Properly set-up suspension is key as stated.   A steering damper will just mask a bigger problem.  I like steering dampers for peace of mind on bikes I ride at a brisk pace.

IMO, once you get the suspension set-up correctly then get the damper...
Dochunt

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 07:27:40 AM »

Okay.
Then why do I see dampers on race bikes that are ridden by pros?
Even the new Kaki H2 comes with dampers

Aprilia Caponord 1200 2015
M796 ABS 2012
Triumph thunderbird Sport 1998
darksouls

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »

Okay.

Because the pros dont have their suspension set up correctly. The H2 comes standard with bad suspension.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »

Okay.
Because race bikes are stressed well past the level of what a properly set up street suspension will ever see.

A large portion of what ends up on a bike for the street is 'fashion'.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Triple J
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

Riding any sportbike at a brisk pace without a damper is a recipe for disaster IMO, regardless of suspension set-up.

Hopefully that statement above on the pros not having their suspension set-up properly is tongue in cheek. Even most club racers have properly set-up suspension.

I'd agree that for most street bikes, a damper isn't needed though. Suspension first, then damper if it makes you feel better (and the bike has sportbike geometry). The OP (years ago) was discussing an M620 though, with non-adjustable suspension. In that case, a damper is probably the cheaper route, although obviously not the best route functionally.

Dochunt

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »

The M796 front end seem very light.
The M696 is even lighter.
Neither has adjustable front suspension.
At around 85 mph on a windy day the palms get sweaty.

M796 ABS 2012
SwiftTone

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 10:45:42 PM »

Are you gripping the bars tighter to counteract the wind so the bike will go straight, hence your palm is sweating? If so, that's the opposite of what you want to do. Loose your grip on the bar and lean into the wind to keep the bike on the intended course.
SwiftTone

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »

Because race bikes are stressed well past the level of what a properly set up street suspension will ever see.

A large portion of what ends up on a bike for the street is 'fashion'.

Agreed.

Maybe this video will help people out. Notice Dave Moss, expert suspension tuner, tunes out the faults in the suspension before dialing up the steering damper. He also says "those GPRs should never go past 3." GPRs can have a range of 1-20. So even at race speeds you don't need to turn up the damper on high, therefore at street speeds it's probably not needed at all, given if the suspension is set up properly. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:05:36 PM by SwiftTone » Logged
SwiftTone

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

Riding any sportbike at a brisk pace without a damper is a recipe for disaster IMO, regardless of suspension set-up.

Hopefully that statement above on the pros not having their suspension set-up properly is tongue in cheek. Even most club racers have properly set-up suspension.

I'd agree that for most street bikes, a damper isn't needed though. Suspension first, then damper if it makes you feel better (and the bike has sportbike geometry). The OP (years ago) was discussing an M620 though, with non-adjustable suspension. In that case, a damper is probably the cheaper route, although obviously not the best route functionally.

I would have to disagree regarding riding at a brisk pace without a damper. My RC51 is fine at a mid pack+ intermediate group on track days. I will find out at the end of this month if my s2r1000 will be fine also as I have another track day.

I did go riding at a quick pace yesterday where I encountered bumps and dips mid corner while on throttle. Everything was fine. I can probably post a video later once I sort through it.
Raux

Re:
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 04:32:04 AM »

The first two monster frame types were prone to tank slappers, heard it from the factory due to too little weight over front with that geometry. Thats why many raised rear or lowered front to adjust weight distro. Happened to me on a 99 m900.
Dochunt

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 05:36:36 AM »

Are you gripping the bars tighter to counteract the wind so the bike will go straight, hence your palm is sweating? If so, that's the opposite of what you want to do. Loose your grip on the bar and lean into the wind to keep the bike on the intended course.

The palms are not actually sweaty.
I was implying that the bikes front end feels a light and lose.

M796 ABS 2012
Triple J
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »

I would have to disagree regarding riding at a brisk pace without a damper. My RC51 is fine at a mid pack+ intermediate group on track days. I will find out at the end of this month if my s2r1000 will be fine also as I have another track day.

I did go riding at a quick pace yesterday where I encountered bumps and dips mid corner while on throttle. Everything was fine. I can probably post a video later once I sort through it.

Speed is relative I guess. I would consider mid-pack intermediate group track day pace brisk on the street (I ride conservatively on the street), but not on the track.

That said, even with good suspension set-up, hit a bump wrong with the front end light, and you could be in a tankslapper pretty quickly. Too much risk for me, especially on the street, where bumps, potholes, etc are all too common...and where the consequences of crashing are generally much higher.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about a tankslapper...lock to lock violent bar movement, not minor to moderate head shake.

Read up on Kenny Anderson's accident that killed him. Tank slapper started it all. I will always run dampers on bikes with sportbike geometry. You don't need them, until you do.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:44:00 AM by Triple J » Logged
SwiftTone

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »

Speed is relative I guess. I would consider mid-pack intermediate group track day pace brisk on the street (I ride conservatively on the street), but not on the track.

That said, even with good suspension set-up, hit a bump wrong with the front end light, and you could be in a tankslapper pretty quickly. Too much risk for me, especially on the street, where bumps, potholes, etc are all too common...and where the consequences of crashing are generally much higher.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about a tankslapper...lock to lock violent bar movement, not minor to moderate head shake.

Read up on Kenny Anderson's accident that killed him. Tank slapper started it all. I will always run dampers on bikes with sportbike geometry. You don't need them, until you do.

I wouldn't ride my track pace on the street. My brisk street speed is not the same as brisk track speed. 

I am still relatively new to riding my S2R1000. That said, I know most riders don't ride with the correct form and technique so they get "head shakes" where they wouldn't if they had developed skills.

I think posters in this thread are actually talking about 3 different types of movements in the front end; movement cause by unsmooth surface such as grooved roads or gusts of wind (minor), Movement cause up to moderate holes in the surface (minor), and movement cause by going over moderate holes while leaned over (major). I think most posters are speaking about the 2 minor ones that I've described which requires no steering damper to ride away safety given if they have the right technique and maybe suspension.

I do feel like the front is light on my bike but covering up the problem with a damper is not the solution.
Triple J
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »

My street bike is a Guzzi, so I clearly don't ride any sort of track pace on the street either!  laughingdp

Agreed on the types of movements being discussed as well. A lot of people do seem to confuse minor to moderate headshake with tankslappers, the latter of which you aren't going to ride out of 95% of the time.

My old M900 had a damper, but it didn't have adjustable suspension, so the damper was the cheaper way to make it "feel" better, and it worked fine. Spending more $$ on the suspension would have been the better option for sure though. Now I won't even buy a bike that doesn't have adjustable suspension.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »

Relax and loosen your grip. 

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: